• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock - 1/12

WinnChill

1/12/13
Gunstock
Frozen to Loose Granular/Sugary

Intermittent wipers (drizzle) on the drive up and hit the chairs just after opening again with my son. Had the fog shroud through the whole day with the sun just barely trying to peek through and it stayed dry. It looked way worse than it felt and skied. Comfortably cool temps and light breezes at the summit to help with visibility a bit more. I kept the goggles flipped up to see better in the fog and it wasn't bothersome in the milder temps. The concern was about terrain loss from last night's showers--can't really say that they lost a lot--a few thin spots here and there but I enjoyed the granular/sugary conditions....at least something to grip and swish through rather than slide/scrape down. Upper Trigger that was skiied down by lunchtime last weekend was more enjoyable this time around. A few trails that may have closed this weekend were offset by other new openings. Flintlock, Tiger, Cannonball, and Redhat were all open and fun to ski. Recoil was open as well--my son really loved it with all the side trails--he has a blast with those. Pistol and Out Of Sight were fun as always and we even scoped out the Blundersmoke Terrain Park which was all shaped top to bottom.

With thinner crowds, I think this weekend gets the nod compared to last weekend. I'll take these conditions with more elbow room over searching for powder scraps after a feeding frenzy.

Apres @ Powder Keg--Pigs Ear draft.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

HD333

Definite hero snow today at Gunstock.

Upper Recoil to Mid/Lower Recoil was the run of the day for us. Redhat was also very nice. Seemed like the forecast kept the crowds away.

We also hit the Powder Keg, as we do after every day on the hill, for Root Beer and Beer Beer.

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
thanks for coming out to ski.

Definite hero snow today at Gunstock.

Upper Recoil to Mid/Lower Recoil was the run of the day for us. Redhat was also very nice. Seemed like the forecast kept the crowds away.

We also hit the Powder Keg, as we do after every day on the hill, for Root Beer and Beer Beer.

The picture on the lift is awesome....we would love to use it....would you be willing to share it with us?