• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak 3-24-13

skiking4

AWESOME conditions.

First time ever to Greek Peak. I'm going to Cornell next year so after spending the first part of the weekend in Ithaca, we headed to Greek Peak for a day of skiing. They got a bit over a foot in the past week, and it definitely showed. 100% open, awesome coverage. On the front side and high up, there were barely any obstacles or dirt spots showing. Surprisingly, I couldn't believe it, but there was a ton of fresh untracked snow I skied all day.

The woods off the middle peak holds a bunch of fresh snow still. The powerline on looker's left peak holds more fresh snow. I scored a completely untracked line first thing in the morning off one of the lower mountain blues on the looker's right peak where the groomer didn't touch. Olympian holds some fresh snow which is getting tracked out on the super-wide lower half. The trees on the back side have some more untracked but it was a tough, tight line I took but nonetheless it was great. I helped track out the Fields' trees, but I bet if you keep traversing further into the woods there might be more fresh. Every trail was in all-star condition, with little ice and tons of soft, packed powder. The sun came out in the afternoon to turn the temp above freezing. Snow never seemed to get too heavy.

Since I haven't skied any storm days this year, this prob goes down as 2nd best conditions wise day behind my core-shotting day of day-after Nemo skiing at Platty. Not as deep as that day (prob 3-7 inches compared to 8-12), but way better coverage (base vs a no base day) and not as good terrain as Platty obvs.

Very pumped for a season pass the next 4 years at this surprising ski resort (expected something a lot smaller). Tree skiing was very surprising and I was amazed at how much untracked I found.

Too bad it was a disappointing ending to the day. A little past 4, I ducked into the trees next to the Fields. Somehow, my pole got stuck on some fallen tree/branch and I guess I pulled hard and the super sharp edges of my pole guard slashed my lip open. Ended up in the hospital with a bunch of stitches from this freak accident, but nothing that should impact ski season :)

p14975-img-31161.html

p14976-screen-shot-2013-03-25.html

p14977-screen-shot-2013-03-25.html

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.56.19 AM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.56.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.56.38 AM.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

tekweezle

Looks great! I might give it a shot this weekend if the weather and conditions hold.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

Cornhead

Glad you liked my home hill, glad it's not going NELSAP, at least not yet. Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home. Hope you enjoy making it your home hill for the next four years, short drive for you too, I'm in Binghamton, 40 miles one way.

Rambo

I was there on Saturday and conditions are super great! Lots and Lots of positive buzz about the 2 new owners. Seasons passes are reduced in price for next year if you buy before April 21. Price is $299 and even lower if you can sign up family members or friends who haven't had a Greek seasons pass before.

skiking4

Yeah, huge improvement on the closest hill near me now. Thunder Ridge is approx 40 minutes away compared to about 30 from Cornell to Greek Peak, and Greek Peak is about 7 times the size of Thunder Ridge and looks to be getting bigger with that proposed expansion.

It would be awful if it went NELSAP... I had to choose a college that would allow me to ski and Greek Peak easily accomplished that for Cornell.

Looks like 249$ for a college pass next year :)

I figure conditions aren't usually that good... how often are those trees open?

AWESOME conditions.

First time ever to Greek Peak. I'm going to Cornell next year so after spending the first part of the weekend in Ithaca, we headed to Greek Peak for a day of skiing.

Haha. I made my dad drive me out to Greek Peak in the summer when we were on our college tour just so I could at least see it. Greek Peak provided me five mostly great years of skiing. Back then i think the college pass was like $129. Enjoy!

BTW the proposed expansion has been on the trail map for years. Like, over a decade. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

tekweezle

I will be there today. Looks like a bluebird day.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1