• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 11/26/13

speden

Got in a morning session at Wachusett today. It was uncrowded, overcast, not much wind, and around 30 degrees.

They made a lot of snow the last few days and had Conifer open from the summit. Coverage was pretty thick in most places on the open trails, but there were some half width areas on the trails. I think they don't want to spread it all out to preserve it in case it rains.

Conditions were pretty much the same on all the open trails.

The snow was firm, but edged okay, and they'd gotten about 1" of natural overnight, so conditions were decent. It was my first day out, so my legs did not last very long. I'm coming off a back injury so I was testing to see if that was going to hurt, but it felt okay, and hopefully will not be sore tomorrow.

They hadn't spread snow in the base area, so you had to walk between the lifts unless you wanted to destroy your bases. Not much snow on Tenth yet.

View attachment 9628IMG_5936.jpgIMG_5937.jpgIMG_5938.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5940.jpg
    IMG_5940.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5944.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 125

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, today is warm and really crappy. Looks good though! I'm hoping to get to Wawa at least once or twice before this next baby is born. .

wa-loaf

Will have to check out the cams tomorrow. Good news is cold weather will be back for more snow making.

speden

Yeah, I hope the rain isn't doing too much damage. One trail that should survive is Sundowner. For some reason they made big whales on it and hadn't spread them out. I'm glad they opened Conifer yesterday, even though they could probably have saved more snow by leaving it with whales. The base area was all covered in white yesterday, but I bet it doesn't look like that today.

Attachments

• IMG_5948.jpg
    IMG_5948.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 85

The Sneak

Guns appear to be on only on challenger and Ralph's...not conifer etc. hope I'm wrong!

The Sneak

Just got back. What's funny is that I was right - they didn't make snow on conifer, but the guns were going full blast on all other open terrain.

Started off on Ralph's (challenger was not open yet) and the sticky fresh snow would nearly stop you in your tracks. As skier traffic increases it got better.

After six runs over there, we moved over to conifer. I had a bad feeling it was going to be bulletproof. However, it was nicely broken up and skied far better than challenger and Ralph's did.

The usual lines were the place to be - skiers left up top and skiers right from the pitch onward and wherever in the runout. Fast and fun with nice LSGR on trail margins.

Took a bunch of runs and called it a day around 11:30.

By next wknd I bet 10th is open, same with the park.

podunk77

I'm glad to hear this week's storm didn't hurt them as much as I feared. They deserve a lot of credit for their aggressive snowmaking and for opening as early as they did. Irks me to read some of the negative comments on their facebook page.

dmw

Were they blowing on 10th at all? I'll be out there tomorrow morning.