• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Mountain - MLK Weekend

WoodCore

The overall weekend could be described as Jeykll and Hyde! Started the day off on Saturday under cloudy skies and temps around freezing. The snow was beach like, groomed granular that had a sand like consistency. OK if you made the first couple sets of tracks but not much fun after that. Regardless the unexpected snow started to fall around 10am and continued to intensify as the day progressed. It was a heavy wet snow that was actually was freezing to the bases on my skis and not allowing me to slide down the hill. Saw some graupel fall which is pretty rare on the east coast! The skiing and general vibe improved immediately with all the new snow as one would expect. Storm dumped about 6"+ in a few quick hours!!! Funny thing is that at my house no more than 20 miles as the crow flies we had just a coating of snow. Crazy storm!

Sunday was the money day! Going from "Oreo Cookie" skiing on mediocre loose granular to full on winter beautiful packed powders conditions in 24 hours was amazing for sure! The hill was as busy as I've seen it the last few years! The turns today were butter for sure and it looks to stay this way for foreseeable future! Get out there and get your groove on!!

mohawk_01_19_2014_1.JPG

mohawk_01_19_2014_2.JPG

mohawk_01_19_2014_4.JPG

mohawk_01_19_2014_3.JPG

:fangun:

Attachments

• mohawk 01.19.2014 1.jpg
    mohawk 01.19.2014 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 49

JohnQ

Today was moderately busy for non-beginners and insanely busy for the beginners. Magic carpet lines were 20-25 people deep, Nutmeg lift was swamped. If you were on the blue and black chairs, though, it was a great day. Good conditions, snow stuck around from Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, the OP was exactly right--snow was freezing to the base of the skis which made things interesting. Once it got packed down a little, though, it was fantastic. We left at 6pm and conditions were still improving.