• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 12/20/2014

dlague

Cannon

Conditions: Mostly PP, some shallow powder stashes and lots of carve-able white goodness!

Trip Report:

Driving up to Cannon, we were all very excited to have a bluebird day. Luckily, the rain that we experienced in the southern part of NH did not have the same effect up north. We were seeing a Winter wonderland upon arrival and experienced one too! It was a crisp 20 degrees out everything was white, but the sun made it feel much warmer. In fact our first few runs, we were way too hot in our gear.

We arrived around 10, the Summit was open only to the Tram. We took the Peabody chair up and hoped to take the Cannonball Chair but it had a delayed opening. So we lapped the Peabody Chair for a few runs before we put our son into a lesson to improve technically. Considering he had been snowboarding for the last four years, being his 6th day our he was doing really well so the lesson was to work on the little things. While he was in a lesson we headed back up on Peabody and headed down Bypass. That trail was pretty nice with guns blazing. While the trail started as a cruiser at this time, there was one moment of reality when all of a sudden bumps appeared. Obviously, others were just as surprised because all the nice snow was scraped off just before and on some of the bumps. The bumps there skied well and we headed down Extension which was all groomed out. We hit Avalanche then crossed over to Jasper, lapped the Zoomer for runs on Banshee, Gary's and Rocket. I did a solo run on Zoomer which was in pretty good shape with the exception of icy troughs here and there. All trails were in decent to great shape. Rocket's little head wall was scraped off as normal.

We headed back to our son to make a couple of runs off the Eagle Cliff Chair, because my son wanted to go down Parkway and Gremlin. I have to say, for Green trails, they were skiing very fast and that is how they have been all season. We then headed in for lunch and ran into Puck it and his wife and another couple, as well as two other friends of ours that we often ski with. Nice running into people in the Pub, even better if we can make turns with them later - not today though. While we were eating, Puck it said he was headed over to Mittersill, which is where we went next. Never did run into him!

We headed to Mittersill via Tuckerbrook off Rabbit Path and once there - at first glance looked really good. We were excited! Our first run there seemed to criss-cross from skiers left on narrow trails where we crossed under the chair and came out in a more open trail towards the bottom. Our second run was on the trail to skiers right. Talk about a nice natural bump run. We were skiing this until about mid way, my wife's legs getting tired, stated that she does not really like bump runs. I made the mistake of telling her she will like them more with practice and pointed out an older woman and said "Look she seems to like it!". Oops! Don't get me wrong, my wife can ski trails like this and generally never says anything. I have taken her on trails that are much more bumped out. It was a pretty broad field of powder enhanced bumps that skied real well. Sad to think that that run will become a GS run and the bumps will not be there eventually. My son's statement of the day - "This is really fun!"

On that note, we decided to check on Cannonball and headed up Peabody - low and behold it was running. We then headed up to the summit and skied Upper Ravine twice before my wife decided to call it a day. My son and I took a couple more runs off Eagle Cliff before heading in. Oh and BTW, no band today so kids were allowed in the Pub after 2:30 where we hung out for a couple beverages.

We had an awesome day, in fact everyday so far has been pretty good at our new home! Some have complained about how Cannon has oped this season, we have been happy with it since each trip is something new that we can try. We felt the conditions were very nice. Now, just waiting for one of those windy days everyone talks about - just kidding!

Headed up Peabody Chair

20141220_113521_resized.jpg

Peabody unloading terminal
20141220_114029_resized.jpg

Trees near the top of Peabody Chair
20141220_114024_resized.jpg

Trees around the Summit
20141220_145816_resized.jpg

Zoomer
20141220_120619_resized.jpg

Last edited:

4aprice

Cannon'

Oh and BTW, no band today so kids were allowed in the Pub after 2:30 where we hung out for a couple beverages.

Too bad I have no idea what you look like. We were hanging here from about 2:30 to 4

DSCF4147_1_.jpg

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Savemeasammy

Too bad I have no idea what you look like. We were hanging here from about 2:30 to 4

DSCF4147_1_.jpg

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You probably just missed Tin and I also. We left the cannonball around 2:30-3ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puck it

I was off to the left on Skyline and Candyland mostly. Did Baron's which was awesome as the last run. Went back up today. Info later.