• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 2/13/2016

bdfreetuna

Did I say they were open?

I said it would probably be technical but folks like myself and DHS might or might not go for it.

I keep track of Maine conditions as well. This isn't the only site that posts trip reports and I've seen plenty of Sugarloaf lately. People are saying there's plenty of snow and the groomers are fast and firm, a little ice here and there but plenty of base. Photos of the mountain look great. 10" of fresh February 9th and then it got windblown.

Obviously the reason Brackett is closed is #1 they aren't MRG and #2 it's probably got some ice in some spots. Poach it if you want. I'm pretty sure I never said "oh yeah it's epic in there". I said "skiable", for experts who like that stuff.

There's plenty of lines in Brackett that hardly even qualify as "expert" class woods. There are several easy ways down.

Can't wait to finish off this ski season with a series of epic ski reports and have y'all suck it up.

Pico Saturday. Please tell me how bad the woods are going to be so I can prove you wrong. Heck I might even do Berkshire East and take a bunch of woods pics :D

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Most is the key word. I did mention for technical skiers only. Last time I skied Brackett it was like 25% bare ground lots of exposed stuff, rocks and logs.

It's not for everyone; but "skiable", that's up to you. Most folks on here don't appreciate thin cover skiing. To me it adds to the fun and obstacles in the woods.

Wear a helmet either way.

And I find it hard to believe that Sugarloaf will have less snow by the weekend than Upper VT well over a month ago. Even with 2/3 as much snow in the woods it would be fine. "Experts only, with caution" of course.

From what I read of the AZ summit pretty much nobody even went into the woods so it's not like we have an accurate survey from recent weeks either.

MAgoo.jpg

Dude ...seriously when was your last eye exam ! Only woods that were being skied were next to trails with snowmaking blow over and they were barley skiable. I went past the entrance to Bracket and could see stumps sticking up

bdfreetuna

^ If that's what you call "barely skiable" you need to learn to ski. Sorry but that looks pretty prime to me and I would run the zipper through that.

You're like hitting trees and moving like mollasses through there. Hopefully it was a fun challenge.

I feel like when people say "stumps" it's like from the Wizard of Oz. Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

You ski around trees, right (well, in most cases, apparently)? Ski around the stumps too.

I'm about to bust out the helmet cam again this season..

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
^ If that's what you call "barely skiable" you need to learn to ski. Sorry but that looks pretty prime to me and I would run the zipper through that.

You're like hitting trees and moving like mollasses through there. Hopefully it was a fun challenge.

I feel like when people say "stumps" it's like from the Wizard of Oz. Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

You ski around trees, right (well, in most cases, apparently)? Ski around the stumps too.

Riding the chairlifts there were tons of snowsnakes barely below. Apparently you know more than the Sugarloaf staff if you say it should be open.

Was my last run of the day and my legs were shot as I mentioned in my report. If you make it to 50+ well see how you do. Skinned up early on Saturday and skied bumps all day ,partied after, and skied most of Sunday after 1st tracks . Fun time all in all .....but just not safe to venture into wooded areas far from snowmaking .

If you post bad info people will call you on it .....Nothing personal

bdfreetuna

Not bad for 50, I'll give you that. My old man is 62 and you're a little better than him.

Again, I didn't say it should be open. Tiring responding to misquotes. I said it should be "skiable" for experts using caution. And I don't know why it's not open but now I realize it's probably a little windblown and icy in there.

I've hit some snow snakes this year; anyone who's been tree skiing has. Put your ski back on and keep moving. I understand the younger and maybe less easily breakable have less issue with this than older or more cautious (or less ambitious) skiers.

I got my bindings maxed out this year just because I'm tired of losing skis every time I hit a stick or something. (or fail to perfectly land a big terrain park jump)

I'll admit sometimes I assume 90% of posters here are fully healthy expert skiers with the same ambitions as mine. So keep in mind my advice is for people that see my trip reports and think "that looks like the good stuff!". Starting to realize there's only a handful of like-minded folks, at best, around here.

Too bad my wife from PR who's skied for just over 2 years doesn't come on here. She never complains, loves the hairy woods and skis everything I do and we high five each other afterwards. My old man isn't a fan of the thin cover because he thinks his 15 year old skis should last forever but he'll always have a good time in the woods unless it's ice or dirt.

I have updated my signature accordingly.

20160124_111631.jpg

It's not for everybody but that's why we ski.

Last edited:

tnt1234

Ouch, glad that guy is OK - relatively. Could have been worse.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
<><> CAUTION: THIN COVER EXPERTS ONLY<><> Only take my advice if that sign makes you unable to resist skiing that trail.

Here's a Pilots saying thats relevant " There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots , There are No Old Bold Pilots"

Ski smart and live to ski another day , Zip lining a glade ......end up like this guy.

bdfreetuna

I guess you've never watched a ski movie where everyone skis better and harder than anyone on this forum?

Or a Ski The East Unconventional Terrain competition at Magic or Castlerock, etc?

Thanks for the advice though. I still plan on becoming as good and technical a skier as I can possibly be before my body can't take it anymore.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I guess you've never watched a ski movie where everyone skis better and harder than anyone on this forum?

Or a Ski The East Unconventional Terrain competition at Magic or Castlerock, etc?

Thanks for the advice though. I still plan on becoming as good and technical a skier as I can possibly be before my body can't take it anymore.

I think you're missing the point, I don't believe anyone here challenged your skiing ability in any way . At least me anyway
I believe 95% of the people on this forum are experts with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Just your judgment needs some tweaking.

I still ski hard , fast . Like bumps but after a major concussion in the 80's limit aerials . Bumps are my favorite and still have knees. getting into a pissing match is not my thing. I was in one mogul completion at Camelback in the 80's and finished 4th out of 60 so I can get down the mountain albeit pizza .

I did indeed watch the unconventional Magic vid. From reading the what's going on at Magic thread that seems like an normal day there lately .

tnt1234

For me, the issue with seeing stumps is, where are the stumps you can't see?

More an issue when there is fresh snow on top of a crappy base. That is when you really have to worry. If the snow is tracked out or heavy, and you'll be skiing on top of it, that's one thing, but when there is fresh snow, and a lame base, that is when you get into trouble. When you can't see your boots for the snow, but there are a few stumps visible....doesn't really matter how good of a skier you are at that point.

Anyway, think snow, and we won't have to worry....

steamboat1

When I grow up I hope to be as good as you.

skiMEbike

For me, the issue with seeing stumps is, where are the stumps you can't see?

More an issue when there is fresh snow on top of a crappy base. That is when you really have to worry. If the snow is tracked out or heavy, and you'll be skiing on top of it, that's one thing, but when there is fresh snow, and a lame base, that is when you get into trouble. When you can't see your boots for the snow, but there are a few stumps visible....doesn't really matter how good of a skier you are at that point.

Anyway, think snow, and we won't have to worry....

Agree...Everyone has a different tolerance level on what is skiable & what is not, however I respect that others want to ski something I have no desire to ski. For me, I am more likely to ski a glade with little snow pack if I am very familiar with the glade to know where/if there are hidden obstacles, the glade gets significant blow over man-made snow from nearby trails, and/or the glade is relatively established (in other words not freshly cut like Brackett)… So far at the Loaf I’ve only been in Gondi glade, Max, and Toke Road, as I feel that I can safely get through those based on my “standards” (I’d feel safe with Pipecleaner, but just haven’t made it there yet)* With Brackett Basin & many other glades at the Loaf, I trust patrol’s assessment due to my tolerance levels.

I had an “unofficial off the record” chat with an off-duty Patroller at the Loaf the other day on this very topic…Basically, he said they will never announce a glade as “open” with these marginal conditions we’ve had this year, as it becomes a liability issue with the mountain. He basically said as long as you are not ducking a rope (which there are not many roped off glades at the Loaf) , patrol has no issue with you skiing a “closed” glade & they are not going to be coming after your pass if you do…..So have at it if you desire, just know you are on your own & there will not be any sweeping of closed glades.

*Of course all this is based on conditions prior to Tuesday’s overnight storm.

tnt1234

Agree...Everyone has a different tolerance level on what is skiable & what is not, however I respect that others want to ski something I have no desire to ski. For me, I am more likely to ski a glade with little snow pack if I am very familiar with the glade to know where/if there are hidden obstacles, the glade gets significant blow over man-made snow from nearby trails, and/or the glade is relatively established (in other words not freshly cut like Brackett)… So far at the Loaf I’ve only been in Gondi glade, Max, and Toke Road, as I feel that I can safely get through those based on my “standards” (I’d feel safe with Pipecleaner, but just haven’t made it there yet)* With Brackett Basin & many other glades at the Loaf, I trust patrol’s assessment due to my tolerance levels.

I had an “unofficial off the record” chat with an off-duty Patroller at the Loaf the other day on this very topic…Basically, he said they will never announce a glade as “open” with these marginal conditions we’ve had this year, as it becomes a liability issue with the mountain. He basically said as long as you are not ducking a rope (which there are not many roped off glades at the Loaf) , patrol has no issue with you skiing a “closed” glade & they are not going to be coming after your pass if you do…..So have at it if you desire, just know you are on your own & there will not be any sweeping of closed glades.

*Of course all this is based on conditions prior to Tuesday’s overnight storm.

Great info and thanks!