• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut 2-7-12

emmaurice2

Date(s) Skied: 2/7/2012

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Butternut, Great Barrington, MA

Conditions: Machine-groomed, loose granular, hardpack

Trip Report:

I had read a lot of so-so reviews of Butternut, but wanted to find out for myself, and after working 16 hours yesterday thought I deserved a morning ski session.

I arrived at the mountain just as the lifts opened, there were a surprising number of cars in the lot. Fifteen minutes later I had my ticket ($25, not bad), and was getting on the lift. Thinking, "Geez, I haven't seen these kind of lift poles in forever."

picture.php

And then about half way up I was thinking, "God, I hope this cable doesn't snap."

picture.php

Despite the trepidation, the lift got me to the top of the mountain, albeit at a leisurely pace. I'm finding that I actually appreciate the longer lift rides, particularly after I've been skiing for a few hours.

I wasn't sure how the snow conditions would be with the recent warm day cold night cycle we've been having but I was pleasantly surprised. The groomers here do a top-notch job. The snow quality felt more like groomed natural snow than man-made. There weren't a lot of people skiing, so I was able to find untouched corduroy for the whole morning. There were a few spots where the ice was showing through, but it was mostly at extreme trail edges and in the middle of the "steep" sections.

I wasn't challenged by anything at Butternut except a VERY brief journey into this:

picture.php

I'm not a good mogul skier but can manage in the right conditions: these were not the right conditions. The tops looked like they had decent snow, but beneath a seemingly nice surface were solid, bullet proof, blue ice humps with glaciers in between.

I stuck to the groomers. I did manage to find a few places to catch a wee bit of air with enough speed, so I had my fun. The trails were, for the most part, empty so I felt safe to let out the speed. I'd definitely come back for another morning session, but there's not enough to keep me entertained for a full day. I did find myself thinking that there could be so much potential here for steeper trails and even some nice glades, but I think that they are on state land, so that might inhibit or prohibit expansion (?).

I snapped a few more pics from the lift. I needed to do something to pass the time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

playoutside

Nice trip report. I was there about a week ago for the first time. It isn't challenging, but it was a good day for our group. I was impressed with the conditions in this tough season. We were there the day after all the rain at the end of January. Really not much ice and no thin spots.