• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Feb 10-11-12

drjeff

Looks like The 'Goo is getting the goods again. Fingers crossed Wawa gets the upper end of their range, thats where I will be tomorrow for 4pm.

Going to be close for both the 'Goo and Wawa. One of the biggest VARIABLES that needs to happen almost perfectly to even get the amounts that are being talked about now, is how quickly (or slowly) the COLD air will get into New England tonight to even allow it to snow in the 1st place. The areas on the forcast maps targeted as the "jackpot" areas are going to generally be in the mid to possibly even upper 40's today. The precip is timed to get into those areas in the early hours of tomorrow morning. That's a good deal of cooling of the atmosphere from cloud level to ground that will have to occur in a relatively speaking short amount of time. Given that when the storms gets to those "jackpot" areas that it at first will be a bit moisture starved, if the cold air doesn't get into place as predicted (and of course this year we've seen time and time again that the cold air arrival is often a bit slower than predicted), then you could very well see those amounts decreased even further :(

drjeff

Doesn't look like any more than dust on crust levels...I don't even see any weather advisories yet.

If this was a "normal" winter, I really feel that this system wouldn't really be gathering any appreciable news attention given how minimal its impacts will likely be for most, if not all, of us. But given the winter we've had, it's therefore becoming a newsworthy event :rollyeyes:

To put it into a summer storm perspective, this would be the equivalent of a summer forcast that would read something like "periods of light rain/drizzle over most of the area for most of the daylight hours, with isolated areas picking up maybe a half inch of rain, but most of the area receives less than a quarter inch of rain"

BenedictGomez

Yeah, this has been ratcheted down a bit. Still hoping it kicks west, but it seems the weather wonks think there's basically very little chance of that happening. Le sigh.....

bheemsoth

So the true questions, which ski area (aside from Wachusett) should I hit tomorrow? I am thinking Sunapee, based on NOAA saying 1-2 inches...

We're heading to Bromley. Crowds should be limited, and we figured none of the major resorts will see anything out of this storm, so we might as well go to a warm(er) south facing slope and enjoy the shorter lift lines.

gmcunni

not happy

snow21.jpg

jrmagic

We're heading to Bromley. Crowds should be limited, and we figured none of the major resorts will see anything out of this storm, so we might as well go to a warm(er) south facing slope and enjoy the shorter lift lines.

It won't be any warmer if the sun isn't out. Actually it may feel colder with winds out the fo N/NW.

ScottySkis

Well catskills are getting this snow today so this a great snow day for them, and when people see snow on ground in metro areas we know they will head up to hills for fun so its a win when they hills need to make money.

BenedictGomez

wasted snow :evil:

It kept moving more and more OTS, but the models were showing areas way out in the ocean that would correspond to over 20 inches of snow.

Well catskills are getting this snow today so this a great snow day for them, and when people see snow on ground in metro areas we know they will head up to hills for fun so its a win when they hills need to make money.

Yeh, but they really didnt get much though, and in the metro areas nothing stuck. Wouldnt shock be if dolts saw snow in the air and thought to go skiing today though.

Glenn

It was friggin cold today! Mountain cleared out around mid morning.

jaja111

I'm not going to complain as the frontal passage combined with arctic air dropping in yielded an unexpected 14 inches in my front yard, while my local hill got only 5. WTF. (I'll take the 5 though as it made a world of difference.)