• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Atomic Theory Question

Hawkshot99

What do you think of the ski? Have you skied the Coax too?

I really enjoyed the Theory when I skied it a bunch last spring. Soft enough that I could control them nicely in the tight trees with bumps, but stiff enough that I could comfortably let them run in the open.

I had them on a short list of skis to have for the year. I ended up going with the Blizzard Bushwacker instead, and after the winter I am happy I did. I already had a wide ski for powder/touring so went a bit skinnier to not have the overlap. We have not had any soft snow this year, so getting a bit skinnier under foot was ok for me.

The other skis I would consider in this area are the Line Prophet 98, and Blizzard Bonafide. I have not skied the Coax.

wa-loaf

What did you buy?

can i borrow your coax for magic tomorrow?

I'm going to be talking to the guy at the shop today. I was planning on race skis, but I think that can wait considering the conditions ... I'll see what he has available and for what price. I know they have the Theory's there. We'll see, might do something tomorrow depending on what goes down tonight.

I was going to happily give the Suburban guys my money, but no one had responded to my PM or the email I sent through their website. Oh well.

o3jeff

I'm going to be talking to the guy at the shop today. I was planning on race skis, but I think that can wait considering the conditions ... I'll see what he has available and for what price. I know they have the Theory's there. We'll see, might do something tomorrow depending on what goes down tonight.

I was going to happily give the Suburban guys my money, but no one had responded to my PM or the email I sent through their website. Oh well.

I know skidsmarks posted a pic from a plane over the Alps earlier today so I don't think he is around. It's odd that they haven't replied since I know they have an internet guy at the shop. Call and ask for Scott and let him know the deal you found.

bigbog

Two that I've been eyeing...fwiw, along with those Atomics are:

(LINE) Mr.Pollard's OPUS.....(available = 178 <Good with me>)
(MOMENT) Bibby Pro...........(available = 174, 184)

Agreed, more $$$...

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Two that I've been eyeing...fwiw, along with those Atomics are:

(LINE) Mr.Pollard's OPUS.....(available = 178 <Good with me>)

Both the Theory and the Lines are good, but how could those two skis be in the same thought? One is a big fat powder board, and the other a wide all mountain ski.

wa-loaf

Both the Theory and the Lines are good, but how could those two skis be in the same thought? One is a big fat powder board, and the other a wide all mountain ski.

bigbob doesn't always think in a linear fashion ...

bigbog

bigbog...Tries to!...LOL. I'm the location "bigboG"(...the Big Bog really is no more...just an eddy in a Penobscot upper tributary with its own campsite<avitar>). Bigbob's himself I guess.
Now that I got rid of a lot of uncertain kinks in the skiing a week ago....kind of like someone getting bonked on the head and brain goes into overdrive..LOL.

Bene288

Just bought a pair of Atomic Theorys off of CL. Pretty excited. Very lightweight for what I'm used to. They are 186cm, but the rocker is fairly aggressive (again, for what I am used to). I don't think you're actually skiing on more than 175cm of the base. Should get a day on them sometime this weekend.

wa-loaf

Just bought a pair of Atomic Theorys off of CL. Pretty excited. Very lightweight for what I'm used to. They are 186cm, but the rocker is fairly aggressive (again, for what I am used to). I don't think you're actually skiing on more than 175cm of the base. Should get a day on them sometime this weekend.

What is CL? Looking forward to you report. I'm in a holding pattern and may just hold onto my Wateas for another year.

bigbog

All I have now are my iM72s....ya' get over a couple of inches and they become something other than fun.

When it comes to skis = just from the feet on up doesn't always match what I find myself reading, and my darn hand-jobs of skis in 60deg shoproom are usually off as well. Really would love to demo it(Theory or something) and get into some depth before it begins to melt and freeze.

Bene288 said:

Really looking forward to a little review Bene288 = only thing preventing me from grabbing it were the reviews of much less edgehold...hope those were miss-hits(intended or not).

Just want to ski those things and see what conditions they might handle Hawk. Powder/pp is what's fun and there's often enough off-resort up here. Two skis will sometimes read more differently than how they ski off-piste, oh maybe there's some difference but sometimes that "difference" that reads bad sometimes gives a fun ride. ***EDIT: --> "My opinion is" ...Certainly not the definitive expert rule....
$.01

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I think I'm going to hang onto the Watea's for another season and get race skis instead. Anyone interested in a pair of well taken care of Progressor 9's?