• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Masskier

We just got an email from our children's school saying that the price for the season ski pass has been reduced by $50 for a limited time. They are definitely trying to drum up pass sales with some of the promotions lately.

And keep in mind that Baby-Q is now on record saying that there is no point in making snow prior to December 22nd. I'd like to think that this was a misprint, but I am now really starting to wonder. Only time will tell when "Team Beaverkill" decides to blow some snow.

Snow making starts this week

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hire a GM from another resort?

Sorry, it's just the most bizarre thing to hire a Fastenal guy, fire him, say you have a new GM, but you won't announce who it is for a few months.

Is he/she going to go around and greet guests with a bag over their head to conceal their identity?

56133269.jpg

Way too funny !!!!

Those ads only confirm my comment - get your own bear, especially if you're going to do this to him. Burkie, in its many versions, has always been a family/kids/people-friendly mascot, not an urbane, pseudo-sophisticated ..........

burski

Hotel is still on schedule to open December 2015. Not sure why people think things are slowing down. Site work is done for the season. wood framing has started and interior work is ongoing. Tennis and aquatic center is still on track to break ground next year.

Not sure how the tennis and aquatic center will break ground next year when they haven't even started the permit process for these? I assume they may require act 250 and local permitting which can take considerable time, have they even been designed yet?

mbedle

The way it works is that the design that is submitted for approvals is only complete to a certain point, I think about 25%. This design has all the necessary info for approvals and cost estimates. Also that way if the approval process requires changes it minimizes the cost. All the detail drawings which are required for actual construction are done later. All the plans for the electrical and mechanical systems are usually done last. This is most likely the work that has been stopped.

That is odd, considering the below company has this listed on their website. which goes against what you said about typical electrical and mechanical system design schedules. The way I look at it, even if they don't have the money through EB-5, they will take it out of their pocket to finish the job.

Q Burke Mountain Resort
East Burke, Vermont

Professional Services Provided

Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Description of Professional Services

DuBois & King provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing design services for construction of two 5-story hotel buildings and new Day Lodge building that links the two hotels. The 157,000-sf facility includes indoor parking garages, commercial and retail levels with conference centers, a full commercial kitchen, restaurant and bar, coffee shop, exercise/spa area, commercial laundry, and skier services. The 116 hotel rooms comprise studio and one and two bedroom units with integrated occupant controls (HVAC, lighting), fireplaces, and washer connections. Exterior electrical design services included site lighting, exterior pool/hot tub services, and 150,000-sf of sidewalk and driveway snowmelt. The fast-track design was completed in less than 5 months from schematic design to full construction documentation.

JPTracker

That is odd, considering the below company has this listed on their website. which goes against what you said about typical electrical and mechanical system design schedules. The way I look at it, even if they don't have the money through EB-5, they will take it out of their pocket to finish the job.

Q Burke Mountain Resort
East Burke, Vermont

Professional Services Provided

Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Description of Professional Services

DuBois & King provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing design services for construction of two 5-story hotel buildings and new Day Lodge building that links the two hotels. The 157,000-sf facility includes indoor parking garages, commercial and retail levels with conference centers, a full commercial kitchen, restaurant and bar, coffee shop, exercise/spa area, commercial laundry, and skier services. The 116 hotel rooms comprise studio and one and two bedroom units with integrated occupant controls (HVAC, lighting), fireplaces, and washer connections. Exterior electrical design services included site lighting, exterior pool/hot tub services, and 150,000-sf of sidewalk and driveway snowmelt. The fast-track design was completed in less than 5 months from schematic design to full construction documentation.

I can't supply details but my comment came from someone who works in the industry and has direct knowledge of this.

xwhaler

I have thoughts of a Burke/Owls Head Fox44 combo special the wknd before X-Mas but its a lot of driving if snowmaking is not going strong.

VTKilarney

Masskier,

Three questions:
1) Is the new General Manager someone other than Ary?
2) Why does Q-Burke feel the need to delay identification of the new General Manager for a few months?
3) Have any subcontractors on the hotel project failed to be paid in a timely manner?

BenedictGomez

It sounds to me like there is no general manager.

I think it's likely they took the unorthodox move of firing someone without having a replacement at the ready, but with the ski season about to start they don't want to admit that that's the case.

thetrailboss

Staff member
VTKilarney, you seem to spend a massive amount of time on this, what exactly is your agenda?

I think like most of us he's passionate about the mountain. There have been some reasons for concern as of late. I'd prefer we talk about the issues instead of the individuals here, no matter how disturbing the issues may be.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

VTKilarney

I have no agenda other than caring deeply about the mountain and bemoaning the train wreck that is happening in front of our eyes. This affects real people with real lives - and not for the better. Change won't happen unless people are up front about the problems that exist. I'm thinking about the long term, and not just pretending that everything is okay for the moment.

I'm not the type of person that would sit on the deck of the Titantic sipping a cocktail while insisting that nothing was wrong. Call me crazy that way.

VTKilarney

It sounds to me like there is no general manager.

I think it's likely they took the unorthodox move of firing someone without having a replacement at the ready, but with the ski season about to start they don't want to admit that that's the case.

But Masskier claims to know what is going on and implied that there was a manager!

IMHO, you hit the nail on the head.