• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Masskier

In yesterday's Cal Record.

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]6/17/2015 8:15:00 AM[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Burke: Mountain Property Values Skyrocket After Re-appraisal[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]By Brad UsatchStaff Writer[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]BURKE -- Travel the five miles on Burke Hollow Rd. from West Burke to East Burke and though you never cross a town line, in many ways you've entered a different world.
[/FONT]

WWF-VT

Burke: Mountain Property Values Skyrocket After Re-appraisal

Can't read the article unless you are a subscriber

VTKilarney

The last appraisal was ten years ago. I should hope that values went up in that period of time.

VTKilarney

In light of the condo valuation talk, I thought that I would take a look at the Vermont Realtors Association Report for May. Year to date, only one condo has sold. That compares to six for the same period last year. Number of days on the market until sale has gone up by 87%. Pending sales are down 85%.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In light of the condo valuation talk, I thought that I would take a look at the Vermont Realtors Association Report for May. Year to date, only one condo has sold. That compares to six for the same period last year. Number of days on the market until sale has gone up by 87%. Pending sales are down 85%.

Poopycock! Stop being so negative ;)

ablb

So...assessments were raised. The part about 10 years between reevaluations is misleading. My assessment has been raised every year since 1997 with the exception of 2009. As far as assessments being in line with fair market value...don't buy it. I have four properties and only one is at what I would call fair market. IMHO.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So...assessments were raised. The part about 10 years between reevaluations is misleading. My assessment has been raised every year since 1997 with the exception of 2009. As far as assessments being in line with fair market value...don't buy it. I have four properties and only one is at what I would call fair market. IMHO.

So would you say that they are over appraised? Under appraised?

mbedle

Assessment values may have nothing to do with real estate values. I think this was mentioned before. It really depends on how you local goverment or county does assessments.

And Ablb, having an assessment done every year is amazing. Do they really come to your house every year and do an assessment, or just adjust the value of your house based on some percentage increase in value? If it's based on just a perceived percentage increase in value, I would guess you saw a good decrease after 2008.

And VTKilamey, where did you find specifics on just the sales at the resort. I could only find specifics on county and certain towns. Based on my review, the results you stated are not unique to just this resort.

ablb

Assessment values may have nothing to do with real estate values. I think this was mentioned before. It really depends on how you local goverment or county does assessments.

And Ablb, having an assessment done every year is amazing. Do they really come to your house every year and do an assessment, or just adjust the value of your house based on some percentage increase in value? If it's based on just a perceived percentage increase in value, I would guess you saw a good decrease after 2008.

And VTKilamey, where did you find specifics on just the sales at the resort. I could only find specifics on county and certain towns. Based on my review, the results you stated are not unique to just this resort.

In Vermont it is based on fair market value. So it should tie to comparables (recent sales). No, they only come out if you pulled a building permit. Visit or not, the assessment is raised. It has more to do with the town budget.

ablb

And there has never been a decrease, even the years the mountain went bankrupt.

ablb

That makes total sense. I bought two units in 2011 and some of the units on then (Powderhorn) are still on.