Hunting? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Crossbow if that's your concern (and it is for me).

I harbor absolutely zero ill-will against people who want to hunt with a longbow (if they're good) or a compound bow, but I personally refuse to risk it and use a crossbow to minimize all potential risk of wounding/losing a deer.

You still need to "practice" of course, even with a crossbow, but the accuracy is insane. They make crossbows today that are as accurate as firearms at 20 to 40 yards. I have an Excalibur Matrix that from bench rest will repeatedly put an arrow into a golf ball sized area, which still amazes me. Even at longer ranges I likely wouldn't shoot at, I'd say the area is baseball sized, which is still the kill-zone.
    Well with a compound bow I shoot in a 3-4 inch grouping at 25 yards. I will never shoot anything that is beyond 30ish yards. Getting that close is not easy. But some if my friends a good elk callers and they have taken elk by bow before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Well with a compound bow I shoot in a 3-4 inch grouping at 25 yards. I will never shoot anything that is beyond 30ish yards. Getting that close is not easy. But some if my friends a good elk callers and they have taken elk by bow before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    Good strategy ....watch out for those small saplings and twigs . It's easy to get tunnel vision when the big one shows up.
    I though for sure I had a great shot on the biggest Buck I've seen, he ran off without a scratch LOL .I looked back to see my arrow in a 1" wide sapling
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Thread Information