• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you eat on ski days?

Smellytele

When with the family we pack a lunch: sandwich meat, peanut butter/jelly, cold pizza or what have ya, snacks, drinks for the kids, water. Wife and i get a drink in the bar.
When alone i rarely eat and just grab a beer or 3 over the day.

snoseek

Tomorrow will be 2 packets of instant oatmeal. Ill dump them in a coffee cup with hot water mid mountain. Most days a bag of almonds or a hunk of cheese. I keep some MRE's for those extra special days

Bene288

I do see some people making wicked good lunches in the lodge. I saw a family making panini sandwiches from a George Foreman grill at Gore once. Great way to save some money and have a killer lunch but who in their right mind would bring all of that stuff in?

Domeskier

With the prices some resorts charge for drinks these days, you might as well enjoy them a few times and get your money's worth.

Yes, exactly! I find that unsweetened ice tea is usually good for at least three passes. Coke and other preservative laden beverages are usually good for maybe two.

BenedictGomez

Depends....

Jay Peak I always stop to eat at Alice's Table, because it's fantastic.

Plattekill I always stop to eat at the upstairs bar, because it's fantastic, and I want to spend money there.

Most other places I'll just grab some cheap light eats....

skiNEwhere

The Brisket at A-Basin is amazing.....if you go there you must try it

Last edited:

jlboyell

eat a good breakfast and a decent coffee. i usually make the breakfast the night before and heat it up in the am.
in my bag: a clif bar, a 16 oz gatorade, a turkey and cheese sandwich and a 6 pack. avoid the lodge at all costs eat and drink on the lift

Last edited:

ceo

After getting tired of spending too much money on lunches my overly picky son didn't like, I started packing sandwiches. Means we have to eat in the basement of the Peabody lodge, but most days there's more people doing that than eating in the cafeteria upstairs; certainly more families.

My mother would take one of those long loaves of sandwich bread, make sandwiches out of the whole thing and put them back in the loaf bag. That, a bottle of milk and a bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies was lunch for our crowd. Bet she still has that ugly orange backpack.

JayC

I carry an igloo cooler w/ sandwich fixins (a pack of lunchmeat, cheese, lettuce, tomato) and a couple of NA beers. Also slices of bread in ziplocks and usually some pretzels or similar snack items. I hit the condiment bar in the caf for ketchup, mayo, onions, relish, and a crapload of jalapeno peppers, put on a stack of lettuce and a few tomato slices and make what I call "The $10 Ski Sandwich". I call it that because it would sell for $10 at the ski area and you'd be back the next day for another one. My mouth is watering must thinking about it...

bobbutts

Flask covers the drinking, although I personally am not a fan of hard booze and skiing. Avoid glass containers for sure!

Long ago when I was a Killington only skier I used to fill a sandwich bag full of blackened chicken strips from a access road restaurant I worked at and bring that along. I'd use the condiment station in the lodge to get the rest of the fixings for sandwiches. Crackers, Jalapenos, and Cheddar. Was free and tasted ok and provided plenty of energy.

Now I usually bring some snacks and non-alcohol drinks and hope that I can park close enough to stop at the car for a snack. Most days I end up buying something at the cafeteria.

4aprice

I do see some people making wicked good lunches in the lodge. I saw a family making panini sandwiches from a George Foreman grill at Gore once. Great way to save some money and have a killer lunch but who in their right mind would bring all of that stuff in?

We used to do that in the locker room at our home mountain (not as gross as it sounds as there is an old bar there and everything was cooked behind it not out in the locker room). We even brought in a crockpot of soup and kept it heated while out taking runs. Management got wind of what we were doing (not just we as a family) and put the kibosh on it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ADKme

Stewart's is my go-to. Everywhere is 1.5+ hrs from Albany, so ski days are kicked off with a Stewart's sausage, egg & cheese on a roll, apple fritter and coffee. I pick up a 99-cent PB&J on a roll to stuff into my jacket and eat on the lift around 1.

I left at 4am to get to Jay Peak last year and Stewart's wasn't open yet - completely ruined my routine.

steamboat1

Usually either leftovers or I stop in the local supermarkets salad bar the night before & make up a container or two to bring along. Miss the grape leaves they used to have at the Grand Union in Rutland, the new store (Tops) doesn't have them. Being a big liverwurst fan a tube of wurst & crackers works too. Usually save the beers until I get home but sometimes I'll have one or two at the area. Bought lunch in the cafeteria a couple of weeks ago. First time I've done this when by myself in years. Got a 10% discount with my season pass so the price wasn't to bad. Otherwise when I ski with my Sugarbush employee friend who gets a 50% discount at the cafeteria we'll have a good lunch. To bad his discount doesn't work at the bar. Always have a good breakfast beforehand.

Shewolfe

I almost always pack a lunch, usually a healthy salad and some snacks. Once you make it part of your ski routine, like checking your clothing and equipment, its no big deal.