• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

RustyGroomer

FB page.
10305428_10152394959192038_4385166850207250527_n.jpg

Magic

We paid for our season passes when they first went on sale, and sad to see the money has already been spent. It is getting very very hard to remain faithful to a mountain that is not faithful to it's supporters. I honestly don't believe anything I read from them anymore, because I don't know who is telling the truth. We heard last year black had a megabuck overhall, now reading the same shanninagans as last year. Magic December panic happens every year because every year it is a guessing game if the lifts will spin. When does it end?

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

Magic, I don't know you or I guess I do? You seem to know me. Don't let the December shitstorm get to you. Like you said, it happens every year. I don't get this blunder @ all. Things are going very well from what I can see. I won't worry one bit about this. I'd advise everyone to do the same.

VTKilarney

We paid for our season passes when they first went on sale, and sad to see the money has already been spent. It is getting very very hard to remain faithful to a mountain that is not faithful to it's supporters.
What were they supposed to do? Keep the high interest loan? I'm not saying that I know the answer. I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

Magic

What were they supposed to do? Keep the high interest loan? I'm not saying that I know the answer. I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

High interest loans were another blow that no one heard about until yesterday. My point is, we don't know what to believe anymore... Is there anything else that will come out we don't know about? I'm sorry- I am not a downer, just having a hard time digesting another negative issue...

Smellytele

Catch-22 -don't blow snow piss customers off so they don't buy season passes or any pre-bought tickets. Blow snow get stuck in a loop of debt. Kind of like a farmer...

Magic

Magic, I don't know you or I guess I do? You seem to know me. Don't let the December shitstorm get to you. Like you said, it happens every year. I don't get this blunder @ all. Things are going very well from what I can see. I won't worry one bit about this. I'd advise everyone to do the same.

Thanks Greg. You are always an optimist and your love and support of the mountain is awesome! Looking forward to a great season. Wish the woodchuck guy threw in a few million as a goodbye gift..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I guess I am still quite surprised that Jim Sullivan is gone. Considering all the press and media attention, as well as what they were doing, it seemed like they were on the right track. At least that was what it seemed. The fact that he was shown the door I guess makes me realize that it was not as stable as it seemed.

The sad part is that it seems that the Coop members really got hosed in that their money is gone and so is whatever ownership they had in the place. And yes I understand that many folks did it to see the place open and it was more altruistic than anything, but it is still unfortunate because with better leadership in place it would have worked.

RustyGroomer

I guess I am still quite surprised that Jim Sullivan is gone. Considering all the press and media attention, as well as what they were doing, it seemed like they were on the right track. At least that was what it seemed. The fact that he was shown the door I guess makes me realize that it was not as stable as it seemed.

The sad part is that it seems that the Coop members really got hosed in that their money is gone and so is whatever ownership they had in the place. And yes I understand that many folks did it to see the place open and it was more altruistic than anything, but it is still unfortunate because with better leadership in place it would have worked.

B I T I N G L I P. "Seemed" is the theme word here. Jim is still around. No comment.

slatham

I think Greg's optimism is actually well placed. I've had good communication with Tom and without getting into the details I think he is taking a sound and pragmatic approach to running Magic. But I will comment on two things.

Black never had a complete "overhaul" (Red did, or damn close), though it did have a lot of work done. Even after an overhaul though you will always have some start up issues with a lift that old. The grips issue - which seems to not be the grips - is on it's way to resolution but will take time.

Making snow in NOVEMBER is risky for any area and for Magic, unwise. Even now it's still only December 5th for gods sake! I would much rather they wait until the probability of a wipeout thaw is lessened, and a base building dump is increased.

Finally, anyone who plans to buy a pass they should do so now so that it can help the snowmaking budget. For those just looking for a deal, and to help, they should buy a magic card or a three pack NOW.

In the meantime, THINK SNOW! Next weeks storm could be a big help!

skithetrees

Jim is still around.

In "transition" would be a better description. My perspective is that Tom is using good business sense to set the mountain up for a better future. Sure, some people might not like some of the steps in the process, but the alternative is ... well, you know. Like any company that bleeds money, choices have to be made that may result in short term pain. The issue here is that people are finally seeing what has been going on behind the scenes every year. The situation is better, and the communication more upfront, and honest this year. I'd prefer that.

Regarding the co-op, stop calling that. It existed in theory only and was so bungled by previous management that it never launched. Previous management turned it into a club, which prospective coop members could opt out of and get their money back. The club was nothing more than an empty donation to the mountain with marginal benefits. Was it mismanaged by previous management, probably. But it's not like members were really going to get anything out of it anyway.

zoomzoom

re: black lift:
"The grips issue - which seems to not be the grips...."

-- to monitor grip spring tension settings, the state has required 2x daily monitoring of 100% grips, along with slip-testing of 100% of the grips every 7 operational days. i've heard these checks are not the norm.

-- fore and aft chair swing has been found to be severely restricted (you may notice this when loading).

would it not have been better to address the black lift before december?

skiNEwhere

How can a fixed grip lift have so many issues? Did they hire the lift mechs from sugarbush? :lol:

In all seriousness though, these lift issues reek of years of poor/deferred maintenance

RustyGroomer

Regarding the co-op, stop calling that. It existed in theory only and was so bungled by previous management that it never launched. Previous management turned it into a club, which prospective coop members could opt out of and get their money back. The club was nothing more than an empty donation to the mountain with marginal benefits. Was it mismanaged by previous management, probably. But it's not like members were really going to get anything out of it anyway.
who called it a co-op? Recently anyway.

skithetrees

How can a fixed grip lift have so many issues? Did they hire the lift mechs from sugarbush? :lol:

In all seriousness though, these lift issues reek of years of poor/deferred maintenance

Yes and no. That is certainly a large factor and catch up is still being played. But many of the required parts are no longer available and must be custom manufactured at substantial expense. At some point you have to wonder if a new (used) lift would be cheaper over a ten year time frame. Probably yes, but you need the money upfront.