• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

VTKilarney

It would have made more sense to have a completely separate snowmaking plant for Mittersill that could be run simultaneously with Cannons, so that resources for Cannon aren't being reduced, with a set amount funded by Cannon proper, and the rest needed for race/training facilities funded by that group. You want more snow? Knock yourselves out."
That would have made a lot of sense. The racers are quick to point out what they have given the mountain, but they are quick to forget what they are taking from the mountain.

wtcobb

Really hoping that the water hoses for Baron's are covered when the lift line is skiable...

Phrased another way: the lift line won't be skiable until the hoses are covered.

SIKSKIER

I'm not sure where some of you are getting your info but Barons will almost never be closed for FSC's private use.The Taft slope is a different story.I certainly agree we need more terrain at open at Cannon but the shortcoming this season has nothing to do with FSC.Look,I've never been a fan of FSC.Never been a member or affiliated in any way after 40+ years skiing here but I dont understand the distain vented here.Damn,we wouldnt be skiing there right now without the sn.What the heck is so wrong with that?

Cannonball

I'm not sure where some of you are getting your info but Barons will almost never be closed for FSC's private use.The Taft slope is a different story.I certainly agree we need more terrain at open at Cannon but the shortcoming this season has nothing to do with FSC.Look,I've never been a fan of FSC.Never been a member or affiliated in any way after 40+ years skiing here but I dont understand the distain vented here.Damn,we wouldnt be skiing there right now without the sn.What the heck is so wrong with that?

In good seasons nobody has anything to complain about. In bad seasons people are frustrated and stuff boils up. So, you are right, most of the shortcomings this season have nothing to do with FSC. But some of them do. I really don't think it serves the average customer to redirect effort away from Cannon and over to Mittersill. And while it does offer public skiing at Baron's it is an inefficient use of their limited resources. They are literally only doing it to appease FSC who bought the equipment and want to see it used.

As far as Baron's not being closed for private use, you also recently said this...
FSC trains on Garys quite frequently but the public still has access.There are only a few races that close the trail to the public.
How was Gary's skiing this weekend? A major holiday weekend that Cannon counts on to generate revenue from walk-up customers. Saturday it was completely closed to the public. Sunday it was a $hitshow because they chose to only maintain the racing side (left) of the trail. So forgive me if I'm not believing that Baron's won't be owned by FSC at all the wrong times.

dlague

In good seasons nobody has anything to complain about. In bad seasons people are frustrated and stuff boils up. So, you are right, most of the shortcomings this season have nothing to do with FSC. But some of them do. I really don't think it serves the average customer to redirect effort away from Cannon and over to Mittersill. And while it does offer public skiing at Baron's it is an inefficient use of their limited resources. They are literally only doing it to appease FSC who bought the equipment and want to see it used.

As far as Baron's not being closed for private use, you also recently said this...

How was Gary's skiing this weekend? A major holiday weekend that Cannon counts on to generate revenue from walk-up customers. Saturday it was completely closed to the public. Sunday it was a $hitshow because they chose to only maintain the racing side (left) of the trail. So forgive me if I'm not believing that Baron's won't be owned by FSC at all the wrong times.

Thank you! Some of my points from earlier!

AdironRider

So you guys beef is that you want all the benefits of the FSC purchases for free?

This just reeks of entitlement. How dare they get some use out of the millions they invested into the mountain! Only I should be able to rock this awesome fall line trail!

Ski racers are douchebags on the hill, don't get me wrong, but you guys sound like whiny bitches. OMG, one of America's premier racing areas (in terms of talent produced) actually want to train and race! THE HORROR.

I was a pass holder there for years. Closing Gary's is not a huge loss. Its the lamest trail over in that pod. FSC has provided many benefits with their funding, losing a trail or two for a day or two here and there is not the end of the world.

AdironRider

Right, nobody wanted the antiquated snowmaking system improved. Nobody wanted increased holding capacity with the dam improvements, and just a couple pages ago people were drooling over how Baron's looked fun to ski.

In reality it was we want all this stuff, but don't want to have to pay for it (and it didn't even cost you, or the taxpayer, money). It cost you a couple days where a single trail is closed.

Mittersill has got to be the only NELSAP place where people bring out the pitchforks, to keep it NELSAP. Meanwhile over at Magic people can't wait to give TB a reach around when he opens a month later than anywhere else with one trail.

dlague

Right, nobody wanted the antiquated snowmaking system improved. Nobody wanted increased holding capacity with the dam improvements, and just a couple pages ago people were drooling over how Baron's looked fun to ski.

In reality it was we want all this stuff, but don't want to have to pay for it (and it didn't even cost you, or the taxpayer, money). It cost you a couple days where a single trail is closed.

Mittersill has got to be the only NELSAP place where people bring out the pitchforks, to keep it NELSAP. Meanwhile over at Magic people can't wait to give TB a reach around when he opens a month later than anywhere else with one trail.

I am pretty sure most if not all would have liked Mittlersill to remain the same. Yes it would only be open 6-8 weeks per season. I do not thing that many here wanted Barons to have snow making or grooming!

Now that it is in place, people are taking advantage of it not because they wanted it but because it is there now and they are adapting to change!

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
I am pretty sure most if not all would have liked Mittlersill to remain the same. Yes it would only be open 6-8 weeks per season. I do not thing that many here wanted Barons to have snow making or grooming!

Now that it is in place, people are taking advantage of it not because they wanted it but because it is there now and they are adapting to change!

I'd choose Mittersill remaining the same over a couple extra weeks of man made snow on Barons. But I guess I should just shut up and be happy with the leftover scraps that FSC throws my way since according to them, they're more important than us regular passholders.

Puck it

I do not see any benefit from that new compressor at all. The number of guns going at once has not increased. I would chime in with more but typing sucks with one hand.

Edd

I do not see any benefit from that new compressor at all. The number of guns going at once has not increased. I would chime in with more but typing sucks with one hand.

Curious if you've tried using voice typing since your accident. It works well for me on the i-devices when I care to do it.

VTKilarney

Right, nobody wanted the antiquated snowmaking system?.

That's not at all what people are saying, but you aren't listening, are you? Have you ever considered that people wanted improvements, but they wanted the improvements to be structured in a way that was best for the mountain as a whole?

skiberg

What you all are failing to accept is that Cannon was going to expand Snowmaking to Mittersill eventually anyhow. FSC just accelerated the process considerably. If you don't believe that I suggest you take a few minutes to speak with JD.

Can't you see how you are all going through mental gymnastics to somehow paint the gifting of a compressor as a selfish or bad thing? How does this only suit FSC? Of course they benefit. Why else would they donate three million dollars in equipment. But you all act as though Cannon received no benefit.

Where has FSC claimed to be entitled to anything. You keep saying they have a sense of entitlement. To what. Where have they vocalized that sense. To the contrary you all sound like you feel entitled, to what exactly I am not sure.

Are they entitled because they want to keep racing at Cannon; something they have been doing for literally 80 years. Racing requires the closing of trails periodically for the safety of racers and the public.

Cannon did not exist by itself without racing and then suddenly FSC came in donated equipment and demanded training space. They have always had the space. That's just the way it has been. Cannon and FSC are symbiotic. You don't seem to want to recognize that history.

There are several hundred FSC racers and hardly ever any problems. They are all amazingly accomplished skiers and rarely cause issues. The nature of their abilities keeps them out of the way of the general public. Of course occasionally there are accidents etc, but these are rare in comparison to the amount of time they are all on the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiberg

what is so tough to understand. The compressor improved snowmaking for the whole mountain not just Mittersill.

dlague

Regarding the importance of installing the T-bar at Mittersill.

Last edited:

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Bottom line is the Cannon racers are little terrors all over the mountain & in the lift lines, the season passholders are old grumpy assholes, the family day trippers are clueless gapers and everyone should go to Loon. :thumbup: