• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski binding settings

wa-loaf

NO bragging about I'm an expert skier with expert settings.

C'mon you know that's where this is going to go!

I usually fall in around an 8 on the DIN chart and then bump it up to 9 or 10. Seems to work for me.

aveski2000

Using the DIN calculations, age, weight, height and skier rating, I come out to a 6.5. Seems to work.

Scruffy

I feel I should mention that while losing the skis is a bit undignified, it's been a couple years since that happened (hoping I'm not due....), I can say that my knees are just fine. I am plenty happy to be able to get up and walk or run back to my skis.

It sounds like your bindings are set correctly for your skiing. Have fun, but stay away from the trees, rocks and no-fall zones with those settings; a pre-release can put you in the hospital just as fast as a no release in some circumstances.

Savemeasammy

I answered the questions on the form the tech gave me. He set the din, and I left it alone. I like to think the pros know more about proper din settings than I do. But that's just me...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffy

Your skis don't need to leave the ground to crack your head on big rock that no amount of snow coverage will cover.

Here: ( not that steep, or gnarly, you might find yourself in here playing around. A pre-release could send you into the wall head first )

NZ_2010_023.jpg

Savemeasammy

Your skis don't need to leave the ground to crack your head on big rock that no amount of snow coverage will cover.

Here: ( not that steep, or gnarly, you might find yourself in here playing around. A pre-release could send you into the wall head first )

NZ_2010_023.jpg

If you told the tech you are an intermediate level skier, you probably aren't skiing here.

Non-issue.

MadMadWorld

If you told the tech you are an intermediate level skier, you probably aren't skiing here.

Non-issue.

And if you did then you deserve what's coming to you. The higher the DIN settings the better the skier as a general rule.

dlague

NZ_2010_023.jpg

Hell, you bite it - whether your skis come off or not, you can do the same! As far as my settings, I roll with what the shop set them at. Has worked for me!

Scruffy

Non-issue.

OP: "For me, I am absolutely honest in filling out the form and go for advanced or intermediate."

It's not that steep, if he's an advanced intermediate, he could ski it cautiously.

Tin

NZ_2010_023.jpg

I have to agree with part of this. This Saturday while skiing with Savemeasammy at Mittersill I released for no apparent reason which led to quite the disaster in which one leg twisted and sunk into the snow. He had to pull me out while I was starting to see stars thinking my ankle was going to snap and my knee was going to pop. He really saved my ass. Given the fact my ski just released I will be upping my DIN and hoping my Schizos are still working properly.

WoodCore

Pre release is more likely caused by a poor forward pressure setting than the actual DIN level. Have them checked by a certified tech!!

Tin

Pre release is more likely caused by a poor forward pressure setting than the actual DIN level. Have them checked by a certified tech!!

Will give my shop a call. The calculator for Marker had me much higher than what they are currently set at.

MadMadWorld

I have to agree with part of this. This Saturday while skiing with Savemeasammy at Mittersill I released for no apparent reason which led to quite the disaster in which one leg twisted and sunk into the snow. He had to pull me out while I was starting to see stars thinking my ankle was going to snap and my knee was going to pop. He really saved my ass. Given the fact my ski just released I will be upping my DIN and hoping my Schizos are still working properly.

Your lucky dude. I witnessed someone do something similar at Stowe a few years ago. I'm pretty confident the woman tore most of the ligaments in her knee.

Actually it was more likely caused by poor technique.