• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kid survives 20' chairlift fall (vid)

jimmywilson69

I guess safety bars are not required in PA

I'm sure they are just like the are in most stats. However, there are plenty of chairs in the northeast that go up the line with bar up and people sitting on the chair. So I don't understand the comment...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Man, this makes me cringe.

Were they trying to catch him underneath, because if they were they sure didn't do a good job.

Kerovick

I was there last night. There are safety bars on all the lifts there. Ski Patrol doesn't try to catch anything. They are there to scrape you up and get you to the ambulance.

legalskier

Ski Patrol doesn't try to catch anything. They are there to scrape you up and get you to the ambulance.

Looks like the patrollers got there quickly- he couldn't have been dangling very long. It also looks like one placed a mat on the snow, and they told him to kick off his skis. I have no idea how much further it was to the top or whether they could have made it- it seems like the plan was for him to jump then and there.
At least the snow puffed up when he fell so it appears that it was on the soft side.

Kerovick

Looks like the patrollers got there quickly- he couldn't have been dangling very long. It also looks like one placed a mat on the snow, and they told him to kick off his skis. I have no idea how much further it was to the top or whether they could have made it- it seems like the plan was for him to jump then and there.
At least the snow puffed up when he fell so it appears that it was on the soft side.

He fell about 1/5th of the way up the lift. If he would have fallen closer to the bottom of the lift it would have been worse for him as the snow is really hard there.