• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Well this sucks...

C-Rex

Park City is hurting, but I was under the impression that Snowbird/Alta is doing well. Breck looks good right now as well. Honestly, unless we can do Jackson, we'll probably stay in New England. I'm looking at staying near Stowe for 5 days or so and hitting Stowe, Sugarbush, Jay, Bolton Valley, and Burke. Then heading to NH for a couple days and hitting Cannon and Wildcat or Waterville Valley. I think it'd be pretty fun to do a week long tour of northern New England, especially in a year like this one.

We'll pretty much have to go back to Red next year to use our Big Red Cats rain check. I can only hope they have a better winter next season.

Old Duderino

Just got back from Aspen and conditions there are excellent. Last Mon-Wed were powder days, Thurs through the weekend were bluebirds with everything in play. Not a lot of people there either.

Edd

Just got back from Aspen and conditions there are excellent. Last Mon-Wed were powder days, Thurs through the weekend were bluebirds with everything in play. Not a lot of people there either.

If $ were no object, that's where I'd be full time.

Old Duderino

If $ were no object, that's where I'd be full time.

In a year like this where they have lots of vacancies (our condo was nearly empty) lodging deals are there for the taking. It's harder to find lift ticket deals, we lucked out when one of my wife's friends who lives there gave us coupons for 50% off the window rate.

C-Rex

fly into salt lake , jackson is a 5 hour drive from airport.

Good idea, except flights to salt lake are just as expensive as ones to Jackson right now. I found flights to Denver for $330, so I'm looking at Breckenridge, Steamboat, etc. Breck is in the lead. They have the most snow (outside of Silverton) and the kind of terrain I'm looking for. Steamboat looks cool but it's my friends first time out west and I'd really love to bring him somewhere with terrain above tree line. Plus, Breck is so big we can spend a week there and never hit the same stuff. Also, peak 6 wasn't open when I was there 4 years ago so I'd love to go back and check that out.

Smellytele

Good idea, except flights to salt lake are just as expensive as ones to Jackson right now. I found flights to Denver for $330, so I'm looking at Breckenridge, Steamboat, etc. Breck is in the lead. They have the most snow (outside of Silverton) and the kind of terrain I'm looking for. Steamboat looks cool but it's my friends first time out west and I'd really love to bring him somewhere with terrain above tree line. Plus, Breck is so big we can spend a week there and never hit the same stuff. Also, peak 6 wasn't open when I was there 4 years ago so I'd love to go back and check that out.

You also have 4 or 5 other ski areas fairly close to Breck - A-basin, Copper, Keystone, Vail and Loveland.

C-Rex

You also have 4 or 5 other ski areas fairly close to Breck - A-basin, Copper, Keystone, Vail and Loveland.
Looking at all of those. I'm basically waiting to hear if my travel agent can work some magic with the airfare. If I can get to Denver without shelling out too much more cash then any of those would do. Loveland is looking pretty good, along with wolf creek, a basin, copper, etc. The suspense is killing me.

Smellytele

Looking at all of those. I'm basically waiting to hear if my travel agent can work some magic with the airfare. If I can get to Denver without shelling out too much more cash then any of those would do. Loveland is looking pretty good, along with wolf creek, a basin, copper, etc. The suspense is killing me.

Wolf creek is a long f'n haul from there. Also there are still travel agents? I thought with the invention of the internet those had gone the way of home milk delivery.

C-Rex

Wolf creek is a long f'n haul from there. Also there are still travel agents? I thought with the invention of the internet those had gone the way of home milk delivery.

LOL, pretty much. I use this guy because most of my trips are open to my ski club. It's much easier to let someone else deal with a big group. Plus there are perks when you use an agent and deal with groups. I get invited on familiarization trips, for one. Last year I got to go to Bachelor for 5 days. Airfare, 3 day lift ticket, lodging in Bend, most of my meals, a cave tour, brewery tour and some other stuff only cost me $500 out the door. I could probably plan the trip a little cheaper on my own, but it's worth the small increase to just send a check and have everything done for me, especially if there are problems, like right now. Also, when an agent plans my trip, he'll open it up to others so if he gets more people, he can save us money with group rates.

Wolf Creek is probably out if it's really far. Plus the areas closer to Denver/more to the east seem to have more snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
He's been doing it for 40 years. 1st in the suburbs of Boston and then down on the Cape for the past 15 years or so.

But, you're right, I have never met another milk guy.

crank

We were thinking about a trip to Utah but bagged it and have been skiing great conditions here in the east. Nice that Red contacted you. My question is did you not know what was open and not there? When I have big trip planned I can't help but check conditions almost daily starting several weeks out. My girlfriend is even worse. It can drive you nuts though. We have a 4 or 5 day trip planned for Northern VT March 19-23 and we are hoping for not spring conditions. If we get spring conditions at least there will be a good base!

MMP

We just got back from Breck it skied fine. I don't know why anyone would ski there with A Basin right there though. Love that place.