• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth Skiway 3/15/15

4aprice

Ok so Dartmouth Skiway's was not on the itinerary for this weekend so I need to fill in the background. My wife and I left NNJ about 8 Friday night to meet up with our son who has spring break this week. Drove to Concord NH. Made good time and bedded down for the night. Up early Sat, watching the weather with coffee and breakfast decide to head "north of the Notch" to Bretton Woods to avoid any rain. I'm not going to report on Bretton because it was not one of her best days, (fairly crowded, little icy, woods chunky) not saying it was bad, just have seen her better.

Got a call on the chairlift from some friends at Killington saying they were celebrating a birthday that night and would we meet them at the Wobbly and go over to house for dinner. We were staying in West Lebanon so we booked out of BW at 3, got down to the hotel, had a quick hot tub and shower, dressed and drove over to Killington in the rain with the car thermometer reading 30. Get to Killington in the middle of an ice event. Dangerous just walking from car to bar, people falling on their butts all over the place. Hadn't been in the Wobbly in years so that was fun. Still icing when we went over to the house for dinner and almost couldn't make it up walk. Had a wonderful dinner, game of cards and by the time we left it was turning to snow, but what was underneath was still on my mind. Drive back to West Leb was no problem.

Woke up Sunday in a pretty slow mood. Just knowing what had gone on at Killington Saturday made me not want to spend a good voucher there Sunday but I still wanted to ski. Watched the weather and saw a high of 37 and decided a 1/2 day at Dartmouth might hold the possibility of soft snow. Took our time checking out with a hot tub and swim before leaving at 11. It had been snowing lightly while we were swimming but turned to rain when we left and the wife was a little grumbly about that as we drove up to Skiway's. About 1/2 way between Hanover and Lyme it changed to snow and got heavier as we climbed to the ski area.

DSCF4548_1_.jpg

Arriving.

Snow picked up while we booted up and looked like this as we started out

DSCF4550_1_.jpg

DSCF4549_1_.jpg

As you can see not only was it snowing at a decent clip but there were very few people there and most who were, were there for a race over on Worden's Schuss. Started on Winslow. Interesting conditions as anything ungroomed the night before had a hard kind of chunky surface below but where groomed it was just awesome. Snow continued at a good pace all afternoon and the skiing got better and better.

DSCF4555_1_.jpg

This shot was on the Holts side about 1/2 way through the afternoon.

Basically skied all the trails including Lift Line Glades on each side except for where the race was, then my son and I went back to Winslow and hit the woods where we found several stashes of about 3 fresh to play in. A lot of fun.

DSCF4560_1_.jpg

DSCF4562_1_.jpg

Those tracks are mine and only mine.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

The Sneak

What's crazy is that BW yesterday was awesome. One of my best days of the year. It dumped all day and every run was better than the last. 4 tickets for $99 wasn't too shabby either. Trees were fantastic by late morning.

hammer

Was everything still open on the Holts side? I remember there were a few interesting trails over there...

Looked real nice.