I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Have a couple of beers, leave one of your skis at the bottom of the hill and practice carving on one ski all the way down. Repeat on alternating feet until you fall too much/you need another beer.
    The chairlift is a free rollercoaster!

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Have you ever skied ripcord at sugarbush at the end of the day?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Yeah, when it's bumped up it's tough, but I'd imagine someone that doesn't like bumps isn't going to ski that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by redwinger View Post
    Yeah, when it's bumped up it's tough, but I'd imagine someone that doesn't like bumps isn't going to ski that anyway.
    I interpreted benski's comment as referring to it being scraped off and "firm" thus being challenging without bumps...

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I interpreted benski's comment as referring to it being scraped off and "firm" thus being challenging without bumps...
    This.

White Nitro and Gondi Line at Sugarloaf would be similar examples.

In fact they might be the best examples of groomed trails in New England that have a bit of pucker factor

I am going to come out and say it - I am going to Okemo on Saturday... And yes I will have fun... kinda... cheap lift ticket + $10 discount from liftopia = slOkemo day!

Skiing for 2018-2019 - 20
    Crotched Mountain: 1/15/2019, 1/30/2019, 3/23/2019
    Gunstock: 12/23/2018, 1/1/2019, 1/17/2019, 2/23/2019, 3/9/2019, 3/14/2019, 4/6/2019
    Killington: 11/15/2018
    Mount Snow: 10/27/2018, 11/24/2018, 12/25/2018, 2/14/2019
    Nashoba Valley: 3/2/2019
    Wachusett:
    11/17/2018, 12/22/2018, 4/13/2019
    Wildcat Mountain: ​3/30/2019

Seasons Past:
    2017-2018 - 12 Visits; 2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits:
    2012-2013 - 13 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits;
    2008-2009 - 15 Visits

Okemo is the kind of place you take your significant other who can barely ski and make them feel great. If you can turn and make a full stop, you have already graduated to anything else. I am happy k am not the only person who thought the "glades" we're the biggest scam ever lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Simon says don't ski Okemo. There, now you have a reason.
    LOL, but that's a pretty potent reason!!!
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

You guys are too funny, AND you make some excellent points. The ones about good company are one reason I'll ski at places like Mt. Cranmore, BW or Okemo. But would I sacrifice one Ski-VT voucher on Okemo? That rips at my heart, which is why I posed the question, about why I should not.

I agree, you can always find something fun to do. When it's wall to wall groomed, when my friends insist I ski Gondolier at Stowe I do as you guys suggest. Click into my SL skis (70 under foot), and just carve GS turns from wall to wall at mach schnell speed. Knuckle dragging and sometimes shoulder dragging (which can be exhilarating from time to time) can be fun, but I'm at the point where I'm not skiing to get better, just skiing to have fun and enjoy this short life.

Back in the day, I used to ski Okemo a lot, when it was all poma lifts, grass and rocks poked through and the trails were narrow. Ice was alway present, but all those obstacles could be overcome That was challenging, and that's all I ever expected skiing to be. We'd ski open to close, and sleep like bears. Okemo ain't nothing like I remember.

I'm sure we all know people who never, ever get beyond the beginner, or the PC term "lower intermediate" or "advancing intermediate" for their entire life. But for them, it seem less about the skiing and more about the social aspects. Of course I'm a snow snob,and that's why God made MRG, Sugarbush, Stowe and Jay in the Northeast. I'm not trying to dump on Okemo at all. Different strokes for different folks. The lady friend has no problems kicking back on a groomer while I'm off on some near-suicide mission. But I just don't see much at Okemo that would keep me entertained. I am usually entertained for about 1 on 2 minutes on some challenging stuff, then it just feels like a excruiating long runout back to the lift.

Regardless, that's for the discussion. It's galvanized in my mind the better approach is to convince her that other, more challenging places have a lot of great groomers, plus plenty of stuff for me to play in.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by manhattanskier View Post
    Okemo is the kind of place you take your significant other who can barely ski and make them feel great. If you can turn and make a full stop, you have already graduated to anything else. I am happy k am not the only person who thought the "glades" we're the biggest scam ever lol
    Exactly, I took my gf there who had just started snowboarding and she felt awesome about conquering Jackson gore

Thread Information