• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huntah sold to Peak Resorts

yeggous

I can always count on you Captain Obvious.

I didn't want to say it outright and your analogy is priceless.

Not what the average season pass holder wants to see. You learn a lot about folks when they're heading out the door.

Nice!

I hope you don't expect it to get any better under new management. SKIS is not opening Attitash this weekend either. It has to make you wonder who is making the call to shutter Hunter at the moment.

BenedictGomez

Not what the average season pass holder wants to see. You learn a lot about folks when they're heading out the door.

Nice!

In most instances I'd disagree with you and suggest this is just a rational financial decision. But with it being one family's supposed pride & joy, with 50 years of skier patronage from long-term customers, not to mention what it means to the community? Yeah, it's kindof crappy.

I hope you don't expect it to get any better under new management. SKIS is not opening Attitash this weekend either. It has to make you wonder who is making the call to shutter Hunter at the moment.

This is on current Hunter ownership, not SKIS.

VTKilarney

I hope you don't expect it to get any better under new management. SKIS is not opening Attitash this weekend either.
Except that they have been aggressive with their snowmaking at Wildcat. And they have demonstrated a commitment to improving snowmaking at Wildcat. I think that the Attitash situation has a lot more to do with Wildcat being just up the road rather than a lack of a company-wide commitment to snowmaking.

JimG.

Staff member

I have learned to expect the worst and work from there. There are many choices available.

Hunter will be open tomorrow and through the weekend; perhaps Attitash isn't opening because they felt pressure to open Hunter?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Sure would be nice if they opened Attitash this weekend. Looks like more games of dodging race teams.

I'm not a fan of Attitash's philosophy of waiting until they can open both peaks. If you have to start with just one route off flying Yankee, do it. The available terrain at Wildcat isn't enough to handle the additional crowds this late in December.

ScottySkis

In most instances I'd disagree with you and suggest this is just a rational financial decision. But with it being one family's supposed pride & joy, with 50 years of skier patronage from long-term customers, not to mention what it means to the community? Yeah, it's kindof crappy.

This is on current Hunter ownership, not SKIS.

So glad I was their on and after closing day last year what a great group of t friends and family at the hill.

EPB

Sure would be nice if they opened Attitash this weekend. Looks like more games of dodging race teams.

I'm not a fan of Attitash's philosophy of waiting until they can open both peaks. If you have to start with just one route off flying Yankee, do it. The available terrain at Wildcat isn't enough to handle the additional crowds this late in December.

I'm surprised that they never open the season with ~30% of the chairs parked in the terminal at the bottom of the quad to address that.

okay, my $02. Hunter, did not have enough snow to ski to the base safely until these week. Remember that the base elevation of the Overlook Lodge at Belleayre is the same as the bottom of F Lift. Clearly with foresight Hunter could have blown to the base of f lift and opened, but they chose not to. THe inversions this week were tremendous. 50 at the top and 20 at the base. Financial decision, F lift not ready to run? Who knows, but seasonal programs did not get started and I am sure that costs them not saves. Windham is not opening and Belleayre has no more terrain this week either.

Did anyone read the letter pasted by Attitash's GM? Did not sound like it came from above.

JimG.

Staff member
Exactly who owns Hunter for the 2015-16 season? Who is making the management decisions? Who profits/loses?

I've been trying to figure that out since the sale occurred.

JimG.

Staff member
Hunter now, SKIS in a few weeks from now. Close is expected "by" Christmas.

Well that explains a lot. There was no hope they would open last weekend.

That seems like a weird time to close a deal for a ski area.

It will be interesting to ski there tomorrow. I wonder who lit the fire to open?

BenedictGomez

That seems like a weird time to close a deal for a ski area.

Not when the acquirer is a publicly traded company and Christmas is one of the bigger revenue opportunities of the year.

By closing ahead of that week, SKIS' consolidated financial results will be able to incorporate Hunter's Christmas week sales.

drjeff

Hard to say, but I would not be surprised if it was SKIS.

Per a pic a good friend of mine who is one of the main marketing guys for Peak Resorts put up on his Instagram page this evening, some Peak admins are in Hunter tonight (and wings and beers with the Hunter folks were being consumed!)

mriceyman

Per a pic a good friend of mine who is one of the main marketing guys for Peak Resorts put up on his Instagram page this evening, some Peak admins are in Hunter tonight (and wings and beers with the Hunter folks were being consumed!)

Ig ID?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Not when the acquirer is a publicly traded company and Christmas is one of the bigger revenue opportunities of the year.

By closing ahead of that week, SKIS' consolidated financial results will be able to incorporate Hunter's Christmas week sales.

Stupid me.

I keep forgetting that the soul of the sport, the enjoyment of the outdoors, the whoosh of the wind as we slide has nothing at all to do with this.

The balance sheet rules all. I wonder if anyone at PEAK thought about the potential of the biggest El Nino on record.

I don't really mean this but sometimes it is enjoyable to watch Mother Nature piss on the best laid plans.

millerm277

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but to be honest I'm fairly optimistic about this news. The last few years have seemed fairly stagnant and like whoever was in charge didn't really have their heart in it.

I think there's plenty that a new owner can improve, and at the same time arguably not much they could really screw up that badly.

My experiences at Mt Snow alleviate most of my concerns. Peaks knows how to make snow and they're not overzealous about closing trails. Not a whole lot else to mess up.

JimG.

Staff member
This weather is making me grumpy. Had a good day at Hunter today my best overall day yet this year.

Late morning it cleared up and the mainline was nice little bumps everywhere. I especially appreciated the sustained vertical that had been lacking.

Hard to get negative about a day like that.