• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huntah sold to Peak Resorts

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Interest only mortgage effectively equals renting the place from your lender, but you have to pay property taxes too, right?

VTKilarney

Interest only mortgage effectively equals renting the place from your lender, but you have to pay property taxes too, right?

That's not a bad way to think of it. But you are correct. The bank does not pay any of the costs associated with the property, the risk with this type of loan is that Peaks won't have access to capital when the loan comes due.

goldsbar

Kudos to the old management team for the widening of Wayout. I'm a big fan of narrow trails (actually think they should narrow Westway, but anyway...), but not if they're groomers with lots of people on them. Much easier now to get a good run in. The blue square rating is questionable compared to their other terrain. The trail feels a bit steeper than the Hellgate mainline run and I know how the wind can scour that side of the mountain.

As for the interest only loan, almost all corporate debt is interest only or a "bullet." Mortgage debt just happens to be secured by the property versus a traditional corporate bond that's secured by nothing. Corporations aren't trying to pay off their debt so they have a retirement nest egg. It's all about using a "reasonable" (YMMV) amount of leverage to juice the return on equity.

JimG.

Staff member
Kudos to the old management team for the widening of Wayout.

All they did was eliminate the double fall line on the second pitch after the cutoff from Belt. The trail is no wider than before.

The real issue, the run out to the lift at the junction with Clairs, has not been addressed at all. Intermediates will take one run over there and after having to walk up to the lift they will never go back.

moresnow

All they did was eliminate the double fall line on the second pitch after the cutoff from Belt. The trail is no wider than before.

The real issue, the run out to the lift at the junction with Clairs, has not been addressed at all. Intermediates will take one run over there and after having to walk up to the lift they will never go back.

That's a good thing. West is a good place to miss the lines when it's crowded

Sounds good to me.

goldsbar

Oh well, so much for my memory! It felt wider at the top and part of the middle. Maybe because it wasn't so crowded and the snow was really nice.

My 10 y/o is light so doesn't have much momentum and he doesn't like to go above a certain speed. He wound up having to walk a bit both times we did the run. Actually, you have to walk/skate a bit off the lift at the top as well with the terrain they had open on Saturday. No big deal, but most casual skiers are truly casual.

JimG.

Staff member
Oh well, so much for my memory! It felt wider at the top and part of the middle. Maybe because it wasn't so crowded and the snow was really nice.

My 10 y/o is light so doesn't have much momentum and he doesn't like to go above a certain speed. He wound up having to walk a bit both times we did the run. Actually, you have to walk/skate a bit off the lift at the top as well with the terrain they had open on Saturday. No big deal, but most casual skiers are truly casual.

I like what they did. The trail skis better now without that double fall line and it really does ski wider. Your perception is accurate.

But the run out needs to be reshaped so that the last pitch is not 100 yards from the lift with an uphill section at the end.

They have widened WayOut, and it skis great now, reallygreat. The kids are already hitting theledge on the left with the flat landing with not so pretty results. The merge into Clairs is much wider and nowthe trail skis like GS Trail. We were tuckingmost of it. Lots of fun. The uphill isstill a problem at the bottom, but it will give the new food truck a lot ofbusiness.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Thank You, is that why the interest rate is so high too?

And yes Wayout is different, they took out the runup on skiers left, so it isn't wider but flatter side to side. also it is rated from all of the other trails over there so that make it a blue. Remember trail ratings are marked according to that hill only.

Funky_Catskills

All my friends at the mountain love the Peaks people..
They say they are around... Checking stuff out and super nice..