• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hickory & Tweed Ski Shop

thetrailboss

Staff member
My first two pairs of skis, which were older Rossis bought second hand in the early 1990's, had stickers on them like this:

$_1.JPG

I had not idea who they were or what they were. Figured it was a ski shop or distributor. How they had a connection to Burke or the NEK I did not know.

Over the years I have seen this logo every now and then.

Last night while poking around on eBay I found the above logo on a tie and it brought back memories. With this internet thing I was able to get some info on the place. It has been around since 1961 or so and used that logo for years. The "hickory" being the wood for the skis and the "tweed" being what you wore for the elements.

It's still going....under a relatively new owner.

http://www.hickoryandtweed.com/

Pretty cool. Anyone go there?

Been renting my kids' skis from Skip every year for over a decade. Awesome guy. He hires many of the local kids to work in the shop every year. Skis in the winter, Bikes in the summer. A local institution. Like a little piece of Vermont way down here by NYC.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm familiar with them only because they're one of the more common rentals I see teaching at Thunder Ridge. Had no idea they had been around that long. Had no idea they had such a "meaty" selection either.

Can't believe you've got skis that have been in their hands.

JimG.

Staff member
Armonk, NY

Used to get MTB equipment from Skip. Always found his ski prices a little steep, never rented from him.