The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 151

AlpineZone

Page 151 of 272 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2711
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Magic isn't good enough to pull this indefinitely. Hence why they have closed how many times?
    You're busy skiing Jackson and "Magic isn't good enough" so why do you care if they charge full price on powder days? Somehow your advice doesn't come across as purely altruistic.

I say if we ban charging regular price on powder days (instead of a discounted rate) we ought to ban $199 College Kid season passes and $29 Ladies Days first. I have yet to see any resort offer a discount for being a mid-30s uneducated male, very sad.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    You're busy skiing Jackson and "Magic isn't good enough" so why do you care if they charge full price on powder days? Somehow your advice doesn't come across as purely altruistic.

I say if we ban charging regular price on powder days (instead of a discounted rate) we ought to ban $199 College Kid season passes and $29 Ladies Days first. I have yet to see any resort offer a discount for being a mid-30s uneducated male, very sad.
    What? I don't work in the industry or have any skin in the game at all. I'm just continually amazed with how much shit Magic gets away with because you think they are cool. NO other established resort could pull this without getting eviscerated on social media, in reviews, and public opinion. Name one other resort that could?

But hey, keep on keeping on, I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Except the holiday rate is a given, before they even open for the season.

Plan a trip to magic and it snows, your family trip just got 200 bucks more expensive, completely unplanned and you wouldn't know until what, two hours at best before they open?
    Who plans a big family trip and doesn’t get their lift tickets in advance?

And for the folks getting in the car that morning, they would know before they hit the road whether it was a Powder day not.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Who plans a big family trip and doesn’t get their lift tickets in advance?

And for the folks getting in the car that morning, they would know before they hit the road whether it was a Powder day not.
    The vast majority of skiers that aren't passholders don't prepay. Don't confuse a ski message board for the everyday populace.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Everyday populace did vote Magic #1 in the East last year though. I'm not sure if skier buzz and social media is an area they are failing in.

That said you may be right in the long run I would imagine the policy will bug enough people they'll find a way to at least re-word the whole thing, if not do away completely. I would also imagine their long term plan is to be open every day of the week so Thursdays would be a little less special.
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Hah, yeah and Holiday Valley is always in the top 5 also. I don't think Magic is failing in social media, they just get away with it for some reason. That was my point.

No doubt the Magic faithful support the place, which is good. This is the owners taking advantage of that fact to make more money, which is bad.

The smarter play would be just raise midweek pricing 5 bucks across the board and no one blinks an eye.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

I think Magic walk up rate is $74 this coming year weekdays and weekends. Going off memory last year it was $59 weekday and $69 weekend (correct me if I'm wrong).

Doesn't make complete sense to me but they have enough pass options and 4-packs etc so nobody need pay full price even on pow days. There are also Ski Vermont passes and hopefully good deals on the Ride and Ski New England Card this year
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

The vast majority of skiers that aren't passholders don't prepay. Don't confuse a ski message board for the everyday populace.
    Except we are talking about people planning a big family trip ... do you really have evidence that “the vast majority” of such people do not buy their lift tickets in advance? Do such people also buy their plane tickets at the counter at the airport?

I just don’t think there is a large group of people out there, who are clued in enough to both want to go to Magic, and to know about the discounted Thursday rate, but at the same time are clueless about the Powder Day exclusion and will be angry when they show up one one of those rare days.

Except the holiday rate is a given, before they even open for the season.

Plan a trip to magic and it snows, your family trip just got 200 bucks more expensive, completely unplanned and you wouldn't know until what, two hours at best before they open?

Lots of other folks would be getting in a car that morning. I wouldn't be thrilled to show up and the price just jumped over 100%.

Magic isn't good enough to pull this indefinitely. Hence why they have closed how many times?

As of this very moment the Magic website states the rates for 2018/19: Daily Adult Tickets are $74.

The web site has a separate "Specials Section" that states that Specials Pricing is not applicable on holiday's and Throwback Thursday pricing is not applicable on Powder Days of 6" or more. Looked at literally, the rate is $74, but the mountain may offer a special discount by offering a Throwback Thursday, and they announce well in advance whether that special pricing will be in place.

Its not $29, and they may jack it up. Its $74, and they offer a special.

They also offer you the option to buy online and save. Buy a ticket in advance online at $29 and you are set. Full stop.

And don't confuse this management team and investor group with any of the prior owners, it just shows you don't know much about the place.
    2018/19 = 36
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Not so sure of that any more. Seems like when ever I'm in line to get a lift ticket, most people, including myself, already purchased from liftopia or direct from the resort. Of course ski/stay packages are prepaid. And more people than ever are passholders of some type, Vail sold like a gazillion Epic passes last year. I'd love to know the % of skiers days that are prepaid these days. Gotta think it's a huge increase from 5 years ago.

Thread Information