• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

View attachment 50143Took this photo on Sunday of MLK weekend, must have been recent. Same spot you’re talking about
All I know is they are doing work on the lift. I saw the two chairs next to each other yesterday and today in different places. And I saw this a few weeks ago in a very different spot. But I do not know why the chairs are together like that.

Hillwalker95

Skied Fri and Sat at Magic. First time there -I understand why so many love it! Can't remember a place with less crowds on a Saturday. Whole mountain open and good conditions. The double blacks under the red lift were thin cover and crud got exposed. But since I'm no expert skier, I wasn't doing those. But the blacks on the west side (Sorceror, Heart of Magician, Talisman) were a lot of fun - soft snow, nice pitch and not too many people skiing them! On the East side, Mystery, Vertigo and Up Your Sleeve were great. They have also very thoughtfully have erected a large heated tent where we could change and eat lunch while socially distanced. No quad yet - that will make it even better. I'm a fan.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That was 100% not Ops. Definitely one of the lift contractors, sorry for the salt!

Oh I was positive it wasn't a Magic guy! You guys are nothing but totally professional and kind! In line to pick up my ticket I saw one of the desk ladies (I think) talk to a gentleman over the trail map across from the pickup about where to go to ski the greens so he was comfortable to go up the mountain. Then she had a nice conversation with me for a bit. Just that 90 seconds makes a hugely positive impression.

jimmywilson69

That was 100% not Ops. Definitely one of the lift contractors, sorry for the salt!

even if it was, I think most people would understand... It also sounds like the OPS guys would likely crack a joke in return! I need to get to this place... Sounds like when everything is open there is good intermediate terrain, right? That's what the wife likes.

NYDB

If by good intermediate terrain you mean interesting, natural terrain, maybe a few bumps and not all groomed then absolutely.

Even some of the green terrain there would probably be considered blue the way they manage the grooming. Which is a good thing IMO but sometimes it catches people off guard. Most of the green runs I would consider fun for intermediates type terrain.

Kinderspiel for example - the top 1/3rd of the trail definitely has a blue pitch and is left natural if there is recent snowfall.

Wizard - looks like a gentle cruiser on the map - but the chute (between the S.O.H. entrance and Talisman) usually ends up being one the hardest trails on the mountain by midday on powder days. Ok thats a bit of hyperbole but not that much. That surprises alot of people.

But yeah, I consider my wife and youngest to be strong intermediate types and they have a blast there when its 100%. You got the whole east side (save for a handful of Double Blacks) plus Wizard, Tali and sorcerer on the westside to challenge yourself on as an intermediate. Plus some easier tree runs to pop into if you are intermediate who is tree-curious

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Agreed 100% with @NY DirtBag . You really have to be a solid intermediate skier to enjoy the blues at Magic. Not much for low intermediate terrain....but conversely there's a lot of awesome beginner trails that a novice could navigate without being intimidated.

In my opinion, the chute on Wizard makes it not a blue. It's pretty tight, icy, and steep in that one part.

slatham

Agreed 100% with @NY DirtBag . You really have to be a solid intermediate skier to enjoy the blues at Magic. Not much for low intermediate terrain....but conversely there's a lot of awesome beginner trails that a novice could navigate without being intimidated.

In my opinion, the chute on Wizard makes it not a blue. It's pretty tight, icy, and steep in that one part.
Just a matter of time before Do Work and JamaicaMan get some dyno and fix the chute........

skithetrees

Just a matter of time before Do Work and JamaicaMan get some dyno and fix the chute........
Master plan years ago had some trails cut in between broomstick and the corner at the top of the chute, all funneling to top of talisman/sorcerer. Would be some great trails that would help with the problem, but would be some downsides.

JoeB-Z

Don't you mean the bottom of the chute? Also I think that would be quite steep and if cut sideways, steep terrain to achieve that. You would need to cut a long shelf through what I think is rock if you traversed to create a Broomstick type trail.

NYDB

If they were thinking about making the chute easier I think just making it a bit wider would be enough. Blasting the skiers right side of the trail and using the rubble to lift the grade at the bottom above the drainage would suffice. I don't know if thats even possible.

No need for new trails that would ruin some great tree lines.

skithetrees

If they were thinking about making the chute easier I think just making it a bit wider would be enough. Blasting the skiers right side of the trail and using the rubble to lift the grade at the bottom above the drainage would suffice. I don't know if thats even possible.

No need for new trails that would ruin some great tree lines.
Not saying they should, just that the previous owners had it in their master plan. One or two trails down from upper wizard to the top of talisman would relieve some pressure on the chute and still leave plenty of fun in tact. Blasting will be a tall order to gain meaningful width. It’s steep uphill skier’s right and steep downhill skier’s left. It’s been this way forever, doesn’t need a change, just would help make that side more accessible as skier visits grow.

skimagic

The trail was shown on the old fuzzy orange map off a home computer that came out when they reopened in the early 90's i remember seeing it then and thought it would be a great idea since the outlet would be at that flat point above tailsman.
Another new one on that map was Trudys Run lower down off Carumba but wasn't sure of its purpose

Attachments

• Capture magic 95.JPG
    Capture magic 95.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 38

ne_skier

There were plans for a trail that would avoid the chute and go to the top of Talisman. It was supposed to be named Black Magic, and I'm pretty sure what is now Black Magic was called Lucifer at the time. The plan was seemingly scrapped in the mid 2000s and the Black Magic name was put where it is now.

I can't imagine it would have been any easier though, it looked as if it went straight down the fall line like Magician and I'd be surprised if someone who couldn't comfortably handle the chute on Wizard could handle that.

Here's the 2004 map which still showed the planned trail on the map. This was not displayed on the 2007 map (Also shown)
1611768461560.png1611768493751.png

Last edited:

skimagic

There were plans for a trail that would avoid the chute and go to the top of Talisman. It was supposed to be named Black Magic, and I'm pretty sure what is now Black Magic was called Lucifer at the time. The plan was seemingly scrapped in the early-mid 2000s and the Black Magic name was put where it is now.

I can't imagine it would have been any easier though, it looked as if it went straight down the fall line like Magician and I'd be surprised if someone who couldn't comfortably handle the chute on Wizard could handle that.
It was going to be a double diamond, rightfully so, the pitch looks similar to master magician.
The chute is the chute, no need to change it. - a noon groom could help keep it manageable for low intermediates.

skithetrees

There were plans for a trail that would avoid the chute and go to the top of Talisman. It was supposed to be named Black Magic, and I'm pretty sure what is now Black Magic was called Lucifer at the time. The plan was seemingly scrapped in the mid 2000s and the Black Magic name was put where it is now.

Here's the 2004 map which still showed the planned trail on the map. This was not displayed on the 2007 map (Also shown)
View attachment 50190View attachment 50191
That’s the map I was thinking of. Wouldn’t have made the chute easier, but might have cut traffic on it down. Also could have been a cool trail.

ne_skier

It was going to be a double diamond, rightfully so, the pitch looks similar to master magician.
The chute is the chute, no need to change it. - a noon groom could help keep it manageable for low intermediates.
I've always been curious about midday grooming, would you simply close off Wizard while they do a re-groom?

RustyGroomer

My thoughts exactly. The chute just makes sure the skier is ready for what lies ahead. Changes the mind-set a bit. :)

MG Skier

I agree with Rusty Groomer. I always try to straight ski the Chute to preserve it. If it is already bumped up like it was the first several times I skied it...skier beware! Missing the mountain this year. Enjoy it for me!