• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

No crust but snow was dense. Not a blower powder day but there is incredible coverage and great pow/packed pow now everywhere. Focused on the steepest with a rare day of Magician, Black Magic, Pitch Black, Gonif and Green Line. Plus several less gnarly runs. Lunch at T Bar was perfect. Lines during the morning rush with one clocked at 24 minutes but it calmed down to a more seasonable 10-15:and by lunch with the surprise opening of Green down to less than 5 minutes and zero on Green. 63638A17-5DFD-4359-BD3E-0FB73387FD3F.jpeg57F96E5D-B78B-4D3F-A354-F9AB931684E4.jpeg066E7C2E-C2D7-4823-A63A-134A4A02614B.jpeg

ne_skier

No crust but snow was dense. Not a blower powder day but there is incredible coverage and great pow/packed pow now everywhere. Focused on the steepest with a rare day of Magician, Black Magic, Pitch Black, Gonif and Green Line. Plus several less gnarly runs. Lunch at T Bar was perfect. Lines during the morning rush with one clocked at 24 minutes but it calmed down to a more seasonable 10-15:and by lunch with the surprise opening of Green down to less than 5 minutes and zero on Green.
What are they serving at T-Bar? Haven't gotten the chance to take a look at the menu

NYDB

Red is the only current summit lift. Black is still being worked on. Green is the mid mountain lift that is operational. Its a skinners weekend.

'Serious part failure' doesn't sound good

slatham

They've really had a number of unfortunate set backs this season, many associated with Black Quad. And now this right in the midst of primo skiing. Tough tough business.

Cobbold

They've really had a number of unfortunate set backs this season, many associated with Black Quad. And now this right in the midst of primo skiing. Tough tough business.
Magic does not seem to have any magic, is this the beginning of the end?

Cobbold

I'm more in the bad speed bump camp myself. It was bound to happen.

I still think its the beginning of the beginning of the new ownership.
Who do you think will buy it?, why isn’t the black quad running?

NYDB

Who do you think will buy it?, why isn’t the black quad running?
I meant more like the beginning of the middle with the new (current) management. It's only been 4 years I think.

I dont know exactly why the snowbowl quad isn't running yet. There have been many little delays and issues that will eventually work themselves out. And I'm sure covid didn't help last spring and summer

Cobbold

I meant more like the beginning of the middle with the new (current) management. It's only been 4 years I think.

I dont know exactly why the snowbowl quad isn't running yet. There have been many little delays and issues that will eventually work themselves out. And I'm sure covid didn't help last spring and summer
not getting the black quad up, seems to be a huge mistake, listened to Brian’s Fairbanks on some podcast and he ran it for awhile when bromley owned magic, he seemed kinda negative about magic, if he can’t make a place work who can.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington was late to get the Snowdon bubble six open by a week iirc and got tons of shit for it. The whole Black fiasco has just left a bad taste in my mouth (well documented by my posts in this thread). Should have worked on it slowly piece-by-piece without a completion date and just open it when it's ready like they did with Green. Don't make promises to passholders, who now don't have a lift to the summit when SoVT is all-time. It's two seasons they've been told there'll be a second summit lift running. I get it...it's a crappy situation for everyone and I feel bad for management and Magic skiers. But could things have been communicated differently? Absolutely. Undeniable at this point.

I still love Magic. Heck if it's still good in the spring I'd be more than happy to buy a lift ticket, full price once my Indypass is out of days. I can't say that about many other mountains on that pass.

slatham

The Black Quad continues to run into engineering issues that obviously need to be dealt with perfectly. It also means they need to get the engineer involved who typically wouldn't be involved at this point. Magic is actively pushing (and paying) to get this done so its not from a lack of focus on Magics part. Unfortunately no real timeline until the engineer and Pfister say "this is what needs to be done". And given the way this has gone even then I doubt they give a timeline (which I would agree with). They shouldn't say much until VT Tramway says "Good to load".

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
not getting the black quad up, seems to be a huge mistake, listened to Brian’s Fairbanks on some podcast and he ran it for awhile when bromley owned magic, he seemed kinda negative about magic, if he can’t make a place work who can.

He makes his money through slopeside lodging, condos, snowmaking, grooming, and fast lifts. Magic does not/should not have any of those things (to the degree that Fairbanks would want it). But at the same time, tough to make money without those things.

I honestly would like to see a co-op system like MRG. I'm not sure if Magic has the same allure of MRG to make that work.

slatham

He makes his money through slopeside lodging, condos, snowmaking, grooming, and fast lifts. Magic does not/should not have any of those things (to the degree that Fairbanks would want it). But at the same time, tough to make money without those things.

I honestly would like to see a co-op system like MRG. I'm not sure if Magic has the same allure of MRG to make that work.
I heard the pod cast with Fairbanks and it seemed to me he really wasn't up to speed on current situation and progress that the new ownership & Management team has made. That said, he knows the trial and tribulations of running a ski area.

Current ownership group is strong and well funded, mountain is well managed (lift installs notwithstanding), significant progress has been made, and skier support has increased each year since new owners. Bumps in the road, not roadblocks.