• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official AZ Summit 2017 Thread

mcaxler

Hey just wanted to see if you had me in the raffle for tommarow,
i might have posted in the wrong forum.
thanks for everything Nico!!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
ddf2d0115d2e0989e7ed6046370e2349.jpg

See ya guys soon!

prsboogie

👍

I'd vote for mid-march or later.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

This^. Please NOT the weekend of the 11th, it's the only weekend in working in March. The 17th would be fantastic!!😋

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Just putting this out there.

Anyone that's leaving today and can't see themselves driving through the storm to go to work tomorrow I've got a room in north Conway tonight and will be getting after it at hopefully the cat tomorrow. Floorspace or spare bed is yours if you bring some decent beer. I have no service up here but if you mssg me ill get back later.

BenedictGomez

Wow, those woods already looked choked with snow, imagine how it's going to look after a few more FEET this week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, this was my 7th Summit out of 8. I missed out two years ago due to work. It was definitely the best one yet. While the Nemo year offered deeper fresh turns overall this year was better due to the massive base the snow we got fell on.

This year almost looked like it was going to be a bust with the rain, warm up and refreeze after the Tuesday>Wednesday storm. Thursday they only picked up four inches which typically wouldn't be enough to cover the crust. The high winds Thursday night and through Friday changed that.

Friday was brutally cold and windy with both King Pine and Timberline chairs off line. The 4" of natural from Thursday made a great difference on the groomers. On the ungroomed the windblown was fun, but by far the densest I've ever skied. Super challenging to turn in unless you had moguls to help out. Because it was so challenging to ski and non windblown areas had a serious crust, we stayed out of the trees. It was still a great day, probably top 5 of my 20ish days at Sugarloaf for the Summits.

Saturday was supposed to be just a quick clipper and 3-4". The system stalled and ended up dropping a good six inches of the lightest blower snow throughout the day. That combined with continues wind movement of the snow overnight made the trees fantastic. No wind, minimal lift lines, about five degrees warmer and it just got softer and softer throughout the day. The increased traffic chopped up the windblown areas and the piling up snow just made for a great surface. We spent many runs in Brackett, but also hit all the natural classic trails; Bubblecuffer, Winters Way, Misery Whip, Double Bitter, Sheer boom, Ripsaw and also came over the top to the frontside snowfields skiing Ignitor which is a short, but very cool chute that reminded me of Tuckerman chute at Jay.

The day ended with a nice turnout for the Apres party in the Widowmaker loft. Later that night I ventured down to the Rack to see the Mallet Brothers Band who I also caught at a summit a few years back and at a club in my town. Hard to describe them. Kind of country, bluegrass, roots rock blend and they always put on a high energy show. https://youtu.be/3Vw1Nkbs9HQ

First track on Sunday is always the highlight of the trip for me. Letting us on the lifts at 7:30 for an hour of skiing before the general public is just amazing with that much acreage to work with at Sugarloaf. It's basically us from AZ and a small amount of pass holders who buy the upgrade. It might be the best major NE resort weekend skiing experience you can have. Overnight the mountain picked up an additional 3-4 inches of the absolute most blower snow you'd ever see in New England. No need for a powder ski. Hell you could be on race skis and it wouldn't matter as you plowed through it like it was air. Between Saturdays snow and overnight there was pockets of 8-10 in places. Just incredible. We bounced early at 11 to try and beat the storm on the ride home and having totally gassed legs from the three prior days of skiing. We still grabbed 12 plus runs in that 3.5 hours of skiing with no lift lines. Plenty of fresh to be found I'm sure for the rest of the day. With this storm bearing down now Sugarloaf is going to be one special place to be this week. When it's this filled in and wide open it's such an incredible place. Trees for days.

Thanks again to Nick as well as Ethan and the Sugarloaf crew for a long weekend of skiing I won't soon forget.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app