Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr - Page 15

AlpineZone

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm curious as to how many people bemoaning that it won't be great this weekend, and are choosing not to see what mother nature brings and not ski this weekend will be complaining come seasons end that they skied only X# of days as opposed to their desired preseason goal of Y# of days???

It's the East... Conditions often go from really good/great to not so great/ugly in the proverbial blink of an eye. In the end a "bad" day on the slopes is still better than NO day on the slopes in my book

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If youíre an absolute diehard with little else on the agenda, then I understand this, I guess (although Iím a diehard mountain biker and wouldnít neessarily agree.....I stay away on crap days). But if not, then you are essentially forcing yourself to be miserable because the cash is already spent. You can cut your $$ losses and not throw your valuable time and even more $$ away by doing something far more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Matters what the cost is for said bad day. If you have a season pass and a place to stay and eat then it doesn't matter. If you have to drive 5 hours pay to stay and eat. Then buy a $100 ticket then ski on ice or in the rain No day on the slope may be better.
    My point was that is someone is planning on say 25 days on the slopes this season, and before the season starts if they figure that it was going to coast them $X, and then at seasons end, they went less than they intended, is the cost really that much of an issue? Many people, because of the cold the last 2 weekends, didn't ski. Now we have this weekend where the temps will be seasonable for Sat - Mon, but the snow surface will be variable for sure. That can be a bunch of "planned" days, including 2 "holiday" weekends, that people aren't choosing to ski on, that come seasons end may have them below their desired number.

I can say from personal experiences many times over in that past, that there have been days that I went out, where I was thinking that I'd just take a few runs and be done, that I stayed out for a full day, because it actually ended up being much better out on the hill than I was thinking it would be. Sure there have been some days where it did't turn out like that as well, but those have been far less for me than the days that ended up being decent when I was thinking it would be crappy....

Gotta make the best of what mother nature gives you, especially if you're an East Coast skier!!!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

Quote Originally Posted by 180 View Post
    In the end a "bad" day on the slopes is still better than NO day on the slopes in my book
    This statement is just not true - at least in my book. I have lots of activities that I enjoy doing. There are plenty of things that I enjoy more than skiing in pouring rain or -20F, for example.

I think the season/conditions that transpire along with lifeís higher priorities determine the days. I donít get achieving a day # target when so many variables are completely out of your control.

My point was that is someone is planning on say 25 days on the slopes this season, and before the season starts if they figure that it was going to coast them $X, and then at seasons end, they went less than they intended, is the cost really that much of an issue? Many people, because of the cold the last 2 weekends, didn't ski. Now we have this weekend where the temps will be seasonable for Sat - Mon, but the snow surface will be variable for sure. That can be a bunch of "planned" days, including 2 "holiday" weekends, that people aren't choosing to ski on, that come seasons end may have them below their desired number.
    If anything, you are showing the absurdity of chasing a number. It's fine to want to ski as much as possible, but at the end of the day you should ski when it makes sense for you to ski, not because you are chasing a number. The experience itself ought to matter much more. I'd rather ski 1 mediocre day than 5 horrible days.

I can say from personal experiences many times over in that past, that there have been days that I went out, where I was thinking that I'd just take a few runs and be done, that I stayed out for a full day, because it actually ended up being much better out on the hill than I was thinking it would be. Sure there have been some days where it did't turn out like that as well, but those have been far less for me than the days that ended up being decent when I was thinking it!!
    Agree if you live conveniently close and donít throw a day away if your wrong

Is it snowing yet???????

For whatever reason I am feeling good about heading up and seeing what happens. Sloppy bumps and groomers are both fun most of the time.

In any case, the whiskey (as well as the snowpack) will be wet, the hot tub will be warm, and the Pats will be on. Add in any sort of good runs and that's a good weekend.

In the end a "bad" day on the slopes is still better than NO day on the slopes in my book

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Gotta disagree here.

Sure folks with passes and a place they own/rent for the season can go up and make the best of it. Sometimes those end up being great weekends with off hill activities that you wouldn't normally do. We would be going up and seeing what happens if kids didn't have a tournament.

Looking at it from the other side of the coin.

A weekend warrior that a few weeks ago convinced the wife to take a trip over MLK may be better off staying home.
    If I was in that boat I wouldn't want to throw 2 kids in the car Friday night and drop "real $"*on lodging and tickets, eating out to maybe ski a few runs each day.

It is one thing if you are embedded in a town/area have other activities you can do, but it is s different story showing up to an unfamiliar place on a Friday night and having to scramble to find things to do off the mountain.

All that said missing these 3 days will not help me reach my goal for the season.

*real $ to me is money out of pocket. Not the season passes, rent/mortgage that is all planned out well in advance.

I'd have a hard time dropping $2k on a weekend and skiing a few runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I Love Apres'

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    If anything, you are showing the absurdity of chasing a number. It's fine to want to ski as much as possible, but at the end of the day you should ski when it makes sense for you to ski, not because you are chasing a number. The experience itself ought to matter much more. I'd rather ski 1 mediocre day than 5 horrible days.
    I think the annual AZ threads about "seasonal goals" in the Fall and then "how was your season" in the Spring, where number of days are mentioned by most posters, shows that on AZ, we certainly have a bunch of absurd people! Myself 110% included!!

Then again in my case, with the commitment to our kids that my wife and I have made so they can pursue their ski racing passion, we often end up spending a number of race days where we'll spend far more time standing around the start or finish area of a race course, watching and supporting our kids, instead of actually taking runs. So from that experience, getting a day, during the prime race season of basically Christmas through mid March, where I can actually ski, without any parental racing duty requirements is very appealing to me, often regardless of the weather and/or snow conditions. Yes, I do fully get that my situation isn't typical! So therefore I am a proud member of the AZ absurd club!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

Thread Information