How do you train for ski season?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

How do you train for ski season?

I know this has been brought up many times but this is a bit different, I think.
    Most of us work out in some way for one reason or another but if you go out west where the vertical is much longer, what do you do to deal with that? I keep it simple and just bomb the longest runs I can non stop to at least get me ready for 4K vertical places. And it does work. A lot of people ski 500 to maybe 1K vert then stop. They then get used to it and they automatically stop then . On 4K vert mountains that can make for a pretty long run. Even worse is trying to keep up with the western locals..they will leave you. My trip to Vail was interesting as I could pretty much bomb top to bottom non stop while the rest of the group where pretty wiped half way down, all of us from the East, even in bumps. I do this so I can try to keep up with people I know who live in these areas when I do ski with them. HIT training really works.
    Just wondering.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Specificity is key. Ski, ski, ski and ski some more.

Since most of us can't ski enough, when I go out west, I'll do a lot of stairs climbs. At work, I'll exclusively go to the bathroom on the 6th floor twice a day. That 1000 steps per week right there.

Other than that, I have a 1-hour leg-oriented suspension training workout which I religiously do once a week. And lots of backcountry skiing.

Nonetheless, stair climb and uphill skiing are no perfect substitute for actual skiing.

On another note, I've been out west dozens of time, and I never went more than 1k vertical without stopping (with the exception of taking the green square run on last run, in which case I've done 4-5k vertical a few times, but that's not real skiing). I can't see doing long vertical out west on a real run. What's the point ? The group will get separated and no time to enjoy the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    I can't see doing long vertical out west on a real run. What's the point ?
    Speed, hot, wet, nasty, badass speed

Ski. From October/Nov thru Apr/May. People laugh at people like me whobski the WROD - so much driving for a ribbon of snow. But whether it's a ribbon or mountain - ski muscles get same workout. By the time the real snow flies I'm in great ski shape. I bike off season a decent amount - I have what I think are technical trails in my 'hood - dodging rocks and roots going a good clip is decent core workout. I really don't ever feel out of ski shape honestly. I get a sore lower back a couple days after first day - but really nothing else. You just have to ski so much of the year that your body never really loses ski shape, IMO

^for sure, my ski buddies never join me in November and December, but they huff and puff their way through the glades in January and February and I already have 20+ days skied and my legs and lungs are kicking ass

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    ^for sure, my ski buddies never join me in November and December, but they huff and puff their way through the glades in January and February and I already have 20+ days skied and my legs and lungs are kicking ass
    Exactly - and another positive is Oct/Nov skiers are always the diehards, so no bitching about this condition or that...just so thankful another season is starting - and we're healthy enough to be there.

Run a fall marathon most years - gets you in PRIME ski condition

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    Exactly - and another positive is Oct/Nov skiers are always the diehards, so no bitching about this condition or that...just so thankful another season is starting - and we're healthy enough to be there.
    i find myself enjoying my chairlift chats way more, eye rolling way less, and fielding less questions about my semi-fat indie skis, in November, early December, April and May. 100%

12oz at a time. some times 16oz.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Tequila
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information