• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

United airlines

kingslug

Got to chicago..on plane..
Paid extra for seat up front...
Assigned new seat...at the back..
Yeah..must be weather related...

machski

I saw $2,000 a head the other day in SLC. In the most recent month reported, February, United only truly bumped 57 people out of more than 37 million passengers. Delta hasn't bumped a single person in over two years.
That "hasn't bumped a single person" is only a thing because of the $$$ they are tossing at folks to take a voluntary bump. Delta has oversold plenty, but if they bait folks to take the cash and switch, it magically isn't a bump.

Zermatt

Travel vouchers are the obvious choice for the airline but when the s$:t gets real they start handing out checks or cash like instruments.

A forced bump, which never happens is compensation in real money.

machski

Wow, that sounds like a total nightmare. I've had my own share of travel woes, but a group of 40 experiencing all that chaos? That's next-level frustrating.
You do understand that out of Aspen, a group of 40 is more than half the seats on any flight out of that airport. That alone means any disruption in travel will be a nightmare. Add to that, Aspen is the most difficult airport with regular airline service in the country bar none.

Internet Ski Pro

Southwest has always been decent to me. my 3 trips to JH were via AA, and i had issues all three times. mostly due to weather, but im hoping for one drama free experience soon. I did the PHL-DFW, then diverted to SLC, then after a long wait, we did make it to JH. i think i spent almost all day on a plane that day. last time out, for "mechanical" reasons the plane did not fly out of JH. somehow i didnt get the text the night before, i could have rebooked, and skied another day, but nope, went to the airport to look at a plane that would never take off. Drove to SLC that night, cause i wasnt feeling great about it taking off the next day either. flying to go skiing does always carry an extra element of excitement.

1dog

Southwest has always been decent to me. my 3 trips to JH were via AA, and i had issues all three times. mostly due to weather, but im hoping for one drama free experience soon. I did the PHL-DFW, then diverted to SLC, then after a long wait, we did make it to JH. i think i spent almost all day on a plane that day. last time out, for "mechanical" reasons the plane did not fly out of JH. somehow i didnt get the text the night before, i could have rebooked, and skied another day, but nope, went to the airport to look at a plane that would never take off. Drove to SLC that night, cause i wasnt feeling great about it taking off the next day either. flying to go skiing does always carry an extra element of excitement.
SW is cheap/ reasonable/accommodating, despite the recent software meltdown . . on a holiday no less. Not the same was when founder Herb Kelleher ran it, but best overall low cost for a few reasons.

They were 1st to give you credit no strings attached when you change a flight - no penalties - 1st to have 2 bags free-always - they do not share revenue w 3rd party booking sites- you must book on SWA app or website- and they used to have the same 3 or 4 type of aircraft that all their pilots were certified in- KISS method.

They used to turn over their aircraft frequently to keep maintenance costs low - and they had- at one time anyway - the quickest turnaround- airport charges are based on time on tarmac.

I'm sure DEI and such has taken its toll as it has on many large corps. Travel is now a commodity business and any level of luxury costs significantly more.

Have any of them required people to at least shower, comb their hair, or not wear pajamas on the damn plane? Not that I can see. In the 60's and 70's apparently you could smoke on the plane but at least you dressed up and didn't have your bare feet stinking up my row.

Net Jets are taking off for a reason. . . . .

urungus

SW is cheap/ reasonable/accommodating, despite the recent software meltdown . . on a holiday no less. Not the same was when founder Herb Kelleher ran it, but best overall low cost for a few reasons.

They were 1st to give you credit no strings attached when you change a flight - no penalties - 1st to have 2 bags free-always - they do not share revenue w 3rd party booking sites- you must book on SWA app or website- and they used to have the same 3 or 4 type of aircraft that all their pilots were certified in- KISS method.

They used to turn over their aircraft frequently to keep maintenance costs low - and they had- at one time anyway - the quickest turnaround- airport charges are based on time on tarmac.

I'm sure DEI and such has taken its toll as it has on many large corps. Travel is now a commodity business and any level of luxury costs significantly more.

Have any of them required people to at least shower, comb their hair, or not wear pajamas on the damn plane? Not that I can see. In the 60's and 70's apparently you could smoke on the plane but at least you dressed up and didn't have your bare feet stinking up my row.

LOL you are triggered if someone on your plane hasn’t combed their hair ?

thetrailboss

Staff member

No politics. We've talked to you many times about this issue.

jimmywilson69

I fly southwest all of the time. I've never had any issues, yes they had the software meltdown and they realize they need to make changes. I'm a smaller human so seat size and leg room aren't an issue for me on any airline.

also who the hell cares that I wear pajamas on the plan. its not a goddamn formal, its a flight. I'm likely on vacation and want to be relaxed and comfortable. Feel free to wear your 3 piece leisure suite from the 70s on your next flight 1dog. I'll be infinitely more comofrtable mainly because I won't have a stick up my ass like you.