• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another East coast West coast question

kingslug

After skiing 6 days in a row at Jackson from open till about 3:30 each day I was pretty tired but felt I could keep going at least another 3 or 4 days.
2 days at Stowe slamming down mogul runs and I'm toast.
How do you all fare with this?

Jully

Moguls back east make my knees WAY more sore. I'd bet that you're also just more excited and subconsciously pushing through more out west too. I'm definitely that way.

Last edited:

kingslug

Soft snow out west..its just not as jarring no matter what the terrain is like. 4 runs down the likes of Chin clip and Goat when its icy is brutal. I woke up in the middle of the night and though someone was chainsawing my damn legs off LOL..IB profin helps.

SLoMo

East coast (ice coast) makes you a better all around skier IMHO. West coast powder is just more fun!!

abc

But are you skiing mogul all day long in Jackson?

As others noticed, the moguls out west aren't as hard as the ones in Stowe. But personally, I don't find as much mogul runs out west. Period. There're a lot of other more interesting stuff to ski, OTHER THAN MOGULS!

Powders are REAL easy on the knees. Even trees, with soft snow, aren't half as bad. Then there's just the steep that only a few dozen skiers had skied. So, no moguls.

Never mind groomers that are dead easy to the knees, especially when there's a few inches of "hero snow" on it.

Smellytele

Why are we comparing icy moguls to powder anywhere? Why not compare a good day to a good day? I have had soft bumps in the east as well that are less tiring then icy bumps in the east.

pauldotcom

West skiing is vacation skiing. Warmer, better snow, wide open.

East - you battle more severe weather, varied snow conditions, and tighter glades. It just beats you up more and you ski more tense.

kingslug

Yes..the powder got hammered into moguls everywhere..we were in the glades mostly and the Hobacks..all moguls..big ones..way softer than here for sure...
I figure if you ski trails like the front 4..you can ski better out west..

Jully

Yes..the powder got hammered into moguls everywhere..we were in the glades mostly and the Hobacks..all moguls..big ones..way softer than here for sure...
I figure if you ski trails like the front 4..you can ski better out west..

Depending on the terrain you're skiing out west (I.e the front 4 won't help you drop a cliff... But there's cliffs here too), but I completely agree in general.

I also find skiing out west makes me better back east too. I get more confidence to charge through terrain. I then can just stay in that mode when I ski stuff here.

Smelly is right though. Skiing good days, bad days, and all types of terrain, regardless of what state you're in, make you better.

dlague

I ski moguls more here in Colorado than I ever did back east. They are softer and have more soft snow. I liked the runs off Zoomer at Cannon and spring bumps at Killington but not when they got icy. Powder days here result in bumps where trails are not groomed and are really fun.

I do think skiing back east makes skiing here much easier since there are very few if any icy days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

gladerider

i think my brain pumps more adrenalin whenever i am out in the west