Epic and Iconic One Wasatch transit plans revealed - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Epic and Iconic One Wasatch transit plans revealed

I was surprised how "locals" of a mountain that place is. One long-time skier told me he thinks it's 80% local Utahns, maybe more. I believe him too, as it seemed everyone I shared a chair with was local. Ogden's playground.
    There’s no bed base as you saw. A very odd place.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Snowbasin definitely feels like a locals mountain. They got some additional traffic from being on the Mountain Collective Pass (including me last season), but not a whole lot. Talking to people there, apparently the secret has come out, so to speak, about the excellent terrain and short lines at Snowbasin, so it has become a LOT more crowded in the last few years. It will be interesting to see the EPIC effect.

My guess is that most of the additional traffic at Snowbasin next season will be locals who ski Park City who are checking off their new Snowbasin days. Other than people vacationing at Park City and deciding to see Snowbasin for a day, I do not see that many destination skiers all of a sudden deciding to fly to Utah to ski at Snowbasin. It's an excellent mountain, don't get me wrong, but there is no lodging near the mountain, and if you're going to drive to get to/from the mountain, the snow and terrain is arguably better on the Wasatch Front.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Snowbasin definitely feels like a locals mountain. They got some additional traffic from being on the Mountain Collective Pass (including me last season), but not a whole lot. Talking to people there, apparently the secret has come out, so to speak, about the excellent terrain and short lines at Snowbasin, so it has become a LOT more crowded in the last few years. It will be interesting to see the EPIC effect.

My guess is that most of the additional traffic at Snowbasin next season will be locals who ski Park City who are checking off their new Snowbasin days. Other than people vacationing at Park City and deciding to see Snowbasin for a day, I do not see that many destination skiers all of a sudden deciding to fly to Utah to ski at Snowbasin. It's an excellent mountain, don't get me wrong, but there is no lodging near the mountain, and if you're going to drive to get to/from the mountain, the snow and terrain is arguably better on the Wasatch Front.
    I think that a lot of folks visiting PCMR with Epic passes will go try Snowbasin. I doubt that many will make the long trek to Sun Valley. Sun Valley is amazing, at least it was in the Summer of 2017 when I visited. Big mountain with good vertical and pitch. But a hike from SLC.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I think that a lot of folks visiting PCMR with Epic passes will go try Snowbasin. I doubt that many will make the long trek to Sun Valley. Sun Valley is amazing, at least it was in the Summer of 2017 when I visited. Big mountain with good vertical and pitch. But a hike from SLC.
    i luv sun valley, have an old friend who’s lived there for 30 years. but it doesn’t get snow, this season notwishtanding. There’s a reason its called sun valley. And it’s a pia to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    i luv sun valley, have an old friend who’s lived there for 30 years. but it doesn’t get snow, this season notwishtanding. There’s a reason its called sun valley. And it’s a pia to get to.
    I wondered if they didn’t get a lot of snow. They have a lot of snowmaking.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Skied there decades ago in 1991 when they first started installing their snowmaking system. Then it only covered about 14 or so trails, though TTB. We went in Feb/Mar (my dad had won the trip) and they were in a snow drought. They had about 2 feet on the ground of powder but no base below so only the snowmaking runs were open. We had fun (Big continuous Vertical unlike anything in the East) but they definitely need their snowmaking system. It has saved them too in the summer from wildfires crossing onto the resort as they have run just water through the guns continuously.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Personally, I haven't skied at Sun Valley, but I have heard excellent things. Uncrowded, lots of vertical, awesome town with a lot of history (the country's first chairlift). The downside is that they get less than 200 inches of snow a year, so the rely on their snowmaking more than most resorts in that part of the country. It's still a fantastic place to go if you love groomers and you hate crowds.

This says a lot about JHole:

The mountain recorded an all-time-high 715,100 skier visits for the 2018-19 season, surpassing the previous record of 634,500 set last year.
    The resorts contend that Ikon isn’t entirely to blame for the problems. Yes, the pass attracted more skiers than expected, says Anna Cole, communications manager at Jackson Hole, but the larger number of skiers merely highlighted existing pinch points. “I think what we learned this year—and we’re still learning and will be analyzing all this data—is that there are more improvements to be made to our infrastructure,” she says. “Especially when you have record-breaking snow and record-breaking visitation.”
    Next season’s seasonal pass purchasers at both Jackson and Aspen will include a code for a free Ikon base pass, eliminating the “if they can ski at my mountain, I should be able to ski at theirs” complaint. It will be up to the individual skier whether to activate the Ikon part of the pass. But given the convenience and the chance to chase snow at other mountains, many local skiers are likely to end up gritting their teeth as they realize they’ve become Ikon skiers.
    That's a pretty sweet deal. I wonder if Alta/Snowbird will follow?
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Apr 15, 2019 at 8:43 AM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I think AdironRider's freelancing for Bloomberg News.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information