Vail exhausted - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vail exhausted

if you canít figure out how to have a fun day at Vail you probably should look for a new sport.

Is it the rad steep bro gnar? No but thereís plenty of fun skiing to be had, especially if you normally ski eastern areas with snow making trails.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    if you can’t figure out how to have a fun day at Vail you probably should look for a new sport.

Is it the rad steep bro gnar? No but there’s plenty of fun skiing to be had, especially if you normally ski eastern areas with snow making trails.
    Agree 100% - especially if one has had the treat of the back bowls on a powder day. Not the most extreme of terrain, but certainly a massive number of acres of fun terrain for sure
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Agree 100% - especially if one has had the treat of the back bowls on a powder day. Not the most extreme of terrain, but certainly a massive number of acres of fun terrain for sure
    Thatís exactly the kind of day I had the one time Iíve been there. 6Ē of fresh and surprisingly uncrowded back there. When we headed back to base it was like a traffic jam. Really had to keep your head on a swivel, more than usual. $30 for the parking garage. Not a great day trip place but not hard to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    if you canít figure out how to have a fun day at Vail you probably should look for a new sport.

Is it the rad steep bro gnar? No but thereís plenty of fun skiing to be had, especially if you normally ski eastern areas with snow making trails.
    I presume this is directed at me. I'm not saying the place is not fun. I've had fun at much lesser places - my last day out in 60 degree sun at Big Boulder this April is a good example.

What I am saying is that the low angle knock on Vail is accurate and fair. There's plenty to hunt out there, and my experience was hampered by fog on a day or two.

Personally, give me Whistler, Kirkwood, Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, A Basin and Park City over Vail if I'm going west (places I've been). Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Heavenly are a push IMO. There's a lot of good steeps at BC between Grouse and Birds of Prey - no above treeline though. Breckenridge is great up high, too, but smaller than Vail. H has great trees, Mott and gunbarrel, which is an experience. Places I'd say are decidedly less interesting: Northstar, Deer Valley.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    good steeps at BC between Grouse and Birds of Prey - no above treeline though.
    Unless you make the short ridgeline hike out to the bald spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Unless you make the short ridgeline hike out to the bald spot.
    Yeah I didn't make it over there the day I hit BC in mid winter. Good call.

As far as Breckenridge if you can not entertain yourself there then you are not trying hard enough! The Dunes of the back side of Peak Seven Bowl is pretty steep not to mention cornices off the top of Peak 8 and Peak 7 Bowl. There good tree runs off Peak 8 over to E Chair and off E Chair. Skiing the grommers are ok but snow is always good. There are also good trees and bumps of E Chair and Peak 10. So I am not sure how someone from back east cannot find interesting stuff there. As far as not as big as Vail well there are not to many ski areas bigger - just a few. I would take Vail over LL and I have skies both. Vails weakness is elevation. It can get firm.

On another note I think it is interesting how the Sackler family lent money to Peak and controlled 13% and months later it was sold to Vail. I certainly did not see that coming. Makes me wonder what will be next. I certainly do not see that move as buying destination resorts from a westerners perspective but more to get people to head to Vails larger resorts. What a ride to Peak Resort passholders.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

If you really think about it, the last 4 resorts Peak bought up over the last 4 (I believe, maybe 3 though) years, Hunter, and the 3 snowtime resorts, REALLY made them attractive to Vail Resorts (and I'm guessing Alterra had to be giving them some consideration as well. Especially when you take into account the rapid, large expansion of the resort portfolios of Vail Resorts and the Epic Pass and Alterra Resorts and the IKON pass. Just the shear volume of potential customers who live within day tripping distance of the resorts Peak had (and technically still does have) under it's ownership, isn't something I'm guessing either Vail Resorts or Alterra wouldn't look at as anything but a big picture asset to their company and its growth strategy of it's signature pass product.

Now nobody will say that any Peak resort is as major a destination of any of the major Vail Resorts or major Alterra resorts (I'm not putting Stratton, Okemo or even Stowe in the category level of say Whistler, Vail, Aspen or Squaw), however with what the Peak staple of resorts adds into the already solid Vail Resorts portfolio of resorts AND the sizeable population base within driving distance of the Peak resorts, that Epic vs IKON purchase decision for a significant number of passholders or potential passholders, just had the pendulum swing solidly towards the EPIC pass for a significant number of customers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

If you think Park City is better than Vail, you clearly don’t know Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    If you think Park City is better than Vail, you clearly donít know Vail.
    If you think Vail is better than Park City, then you clearly don't know Park City!!!

Thread Information