• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee Pre Vail v. Vail

crank

Question regarding Mt. Sunapee:

What differences do you perceive from when it was state run through to present day Vail managed area? When did they take it private? I believe the state still owns it and leases it to Vail.

I have skied there infrequently over the years mainly because we have friends who life in town. I haven't been there in at least 4 years. Didn't it go through a period of Mueller management pre-Vail?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm pretty sure it was leased to the Muellers in like 1997 or 1998. They made significant upgrades to it. I was a passholder there in 2004-2005 and was impressed by the snowmaking, grooming, and service. They really built it up.

crank

In that case I never skied there pre Muellers. First time was about 10 years ago when my wife and I were dating and had started skiing together.

cdskier

I'm pretty sure it was leased to the Muellers in like 1997 or 1998. They made significant upgrades to it. I was a passholder there in 2004-2005 and was impressed by the snowmaking, grooming, and service. They really built it up.
Yup...summer 1998 is when they won the bid for the lease of Sunapee.

JoeB-Z

I went on a Friday and the line of cars from the west was backed up to the circle, from the east on up the highway. Turned around. No Epic pass this year. Okemo could be rather decent weekdays this year. The Meullers really understood hospitality. The old time Okemo passholders must be in shock, although the price of what was an extremely expensive pass went down.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I do know from reading things online and talking with folks, that the Pre-1998 Sunapee was DRASTICALLY different from what it became after the lease. Old and slow lifts, not much in terms of snowmaking. Pretty basic facilities.

Muellers installed the HSQ, replaced the Sunbowl lift (twice actually), built a new main lodge, added and upgraded snowmaking, added a new beginner quad and expanded the beginner area, and committed to extending the season. I do vaguely recall the debate of "which" resort to lease--Cannon vs. Sunapee. There was a lot of interest in the former, but without the summer attractions in the 'Notch that Cannon has to run.

Pre-Mueller Map:

1244230834.jpg

Mueller's Map, circa 2001:

1284335390.jpg

The downsides, of course, were higher pass rates and more folks.

Smellytele

Used to ski there a few times a year when they were on the same pass as Cannon when it was run by the state. Liked it after a good snow storm. Mueller's groomed the fuck out of it and seemed to never open a trail until it was groomed after it snowed. stopped going then except to skin it.

snoseek

It's still good skiing on the midweek. The weekends are loonish busy. I agree on the grooming they go way overboard.

machski

Used to ski there a few times a year when they were on the same pass as Cannon when it was run by the state. Liked it after a good snow storm. Mueller's groomed the fuck out of it and seemed to never open a trail until it was groomed after it snowed. stopped going then except to skin it.
Vail still does groom the hell out of it. IF they get the snow, they do have a few interesting glasses to mix it up. If not, groomer heaven is about all you'll get.