Winter time what hills will AZ people go to this season - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    While I dont disagree with your second sentence, the spirit of what I'm talking about doesn't extend out as well to season passes. If you've purchased a season pass you've already made the commitment & thus presumed acknowledgement that you somehow are in fact able to ski a LOT of days, even though you have a baby (maybe grandparents live nearby?).

The reason I think this makes much more sense for single day tickets, is that for parents buying these, it is likely literally the only way they'll be able to enjoy even a handful of days skiing per season while taking care of a newborn.
    Honestly, my wife and I should have just purchased 1 season pass and shared it, damn the repercussions.

It definitely makes more sense on a day pass. I would 100% split a day pass with my significant other to share watching our child. I would not feel bad at all about doing it. You're already paying exorbitant single-day lift prices and going to be there almost effectively forced to spend your money at the mountain/nearby. At that point, if the mountain/operations/liftie had an issue with it, I would make it into a bigger issue than if they let it slide.

My wife and I did wind up having a couple of days last season where we had someone watch the baby and got to ride together. But, not enough that we couldn't have split a pass and paid each for a day ticket if needed or something like that. Oh well.

^^
    Doesn't work with seasons passes or RFID cards anyway, they identify you specifically when you get scanned. Asking for trouble. I've been to a few places like Stowe last year they say hello to you by name when getting on the 4 Runner Quad after they scan you. I think they use that to potentially trip people up as well.

Only works with old school tickets. Which in my mind is a modern incentive for mountains to "get with the program" because their loyal customers are suddenly getting in trouble for a practice that's been routine and generally accepted for decades.

Or they can lose that business altogether

The only place I have seen the parents' ticket was at Bretton Woods.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Since Mountain Creek is 10 minutes from my house I have a pass and a lot of weekdays off so I'll be there a lot. Also Mt. Peter a lot of weekends. Probably Belleayre once or twice and a Pocono area or two is possible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using AlpineZone mobile app
    2019/2020 Season:

Belleayre: 11/29
    Mountain Creek: 11/16, 11/23, 12/1, 12/14
    Mt Peter: 12/8

Bromley

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Why should ski areas give senior discounts?
    Why should ski areas give discounts for 18-29 year olds (sub-30)?
    Why should ski areas give discounts for kids' lift tickets?

This reminds me of people who get upset about parents getting time off from work or other benefits, time off, etc.
    Perhaps they fail to understand that human-kind needs to reproduce to continue to exist on this planet.

For those who decide to not have children, that's fine. I will never bad-mouth that decision or talk down to someone for making that decision. However, the decision to not have children doesn't also mean that those who do have children should get no benefits or extras, etc. That argument upsets me and I see it often.
    Everyone gets old. Everyone has youth. Kids are discounted everywhere, not just winter sports. Not everyone decides to have children.

When you’ve signed a contract to perform a job, why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why do you feel some are entitled to additional benefits for a decision to breed, while those who decide not to do not get similar benefits?

Are you implying you get a ski discount or time off from work for the survival of the human race?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why do you feel some are entitled to additional benefits for a decision to breed, while those who decide not to do not get similar benefits?

Are you implying you get a ski discount or time off from work for the survival of the human race?
    yes, it’s in most contracts!!!

maternity/paternity leaves are in most job offerings. Don’t like it because you don’t plan to breed? Take a different job!

Absolutely, “saving the human race entitles special discounts.

BTW, I choose not to breed. But I’m glad others do. The money I don’t spend for my non-existing offsprings are far more than the discounts the “breeders” get. So I don’t feel ripped off like you.

When ThinkSnow shows up at the party.

Run Away.jpg
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

NY Blog rules
    Last edited by ScottySkis; Nov 14, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Everyone gets old. Everyone has youth. Kids are discounted everywhere, not just winter sports. Not everyone decides to have children.

When you’ve signed a contract to perform a job, why should one get special privileges just because of the decision to breed? Was that in the contract?

Why? Because that's how it works.
    Yes, those benefits are in every employee contract. Did you read yours before signing?

Like ABC said, those without children aren't 'losing out'. I guess maybe in terms of maternity/paternity leave. But that's not like an actual vacation or real time off. Trust any new parent, it's not a vacation.

And here in the US parental benefits generally suck. I was forced to take actual vacation time or take time off without pay. My wife only got 6 weeks of paid time off.

The ski discount for young parents, kids and adults is to get/keep people in the sport. If you don't offer those discounts, kids aren't going to ski/ride because their parents can't afford it and then the sport dies eventually because there's no new blood. Same idea with the 20-somethings passes. You get the young adults hooked so when they have money and a family they're all into the sport. Honestly, this is really very simple. I'm not sure why you're failing to understand.

And yes, I am implying that people having children is what drives the survival of the human race.

Look at places in Europe and other parts of the world. Both new fathers and mothers are given months off. Some the first year.

I understand not everyone decides to have children or even is able to. That doesn't mean those who do should not receive any benefits. Like ABC also said, you're saving much more not having children than those with children are getting these benefits.

We can agree to disagree I suppose.

I'm going to jump on the hijack
    Best reason to have kids: To Give another human being the Chance to Enjoy skiing.

Thread Information