Did Vail intentionally ruin snow reports?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Please help me understand why snow reports for all Vail-owned properties are so effing terrible. Why is there no descriptive text / paragraph? Please explain, understanding I am slow and sometimes need to sound out big words.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they don't really care about the ski experience. And they want to save money by making it all automated out of Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by mtl1076 View Post
    Because they don't really care about the ski experience. And they want to save money by making it all automated out of Colorado.
    So true! Call the snow phone, after enough bitching last year they finally brought back Andre.

Has anyone heard of a lift going on hold for fog??? I guess there is a first time for everything.

In their business model, the quality of the conditions don't matter very much. Everything is paid for in advance, so you're going skiing no matter what the snow report says.

Wildcat’s report from today below. I’ve seen better, but it’s not terrible.

COMMENTS
    Think Snow

TGIF skiers and riders! Mother Nature may be throwing some weird stuff our way, but that’s never stopped our Born Wild family. Get out here, and when your legs just can’t make another turn, head to the Wildcat Pub for some stellar après vibes.

Take your pick of 18 trails, 7.5 miles, and 122 acres of terrain. Our groomers hit all of those trails with a fresh coat of cord, which has made for a purr-fectly shreddable morning. Feel fast with a cruise down the Lynx trails, or take your time and make your way around Wild Kitten. The Wildcat Express, Bobcat Triple, Snowbelt, and Snowcat Triple are open from 8:30 am-3:30 pm.

Our snowmakers are waiting on Mother Nature to give them the okay. Give them a hand and pray for snow!

As a little holiday bonus, we have après entertainment in the Wildcat Pub every day this week.
    Cheers, and I will see you on the slopes,

-Mel

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Looks like they haven't converted the new peak resorts to their snowreporting platform. Enjoy your last season with a decent snow report.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Has anyone heard of a lift going on hold for fog??
    Wait, what?!?
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 14
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14

Quote Originally Posted by mtl1076 View Post
    Looks like they haven't converted the new peak resorts to their snowreporting platform. Enjoy your last season with a decent snow report.
    On one hand I agree with this but I can also rationalize another theory, for Wildcat at least. 'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging. Even if you're doing a multiday stay in Jackson you're still essentially day tripping to Wildcat, which arguably creates an implicit need for an informative report. That said if I had to guess one way or the other I do still believe Vail will purge Wildcats reports eventually. I also agree with the "just go ski regardless of conditions because you've already paid for your vacation" theory about Vail snow reports.

https://www.stowe.com/the-mountain/m...er-report.aspx

Here is Stowe’s report. I find it has everything you need!

https://www.breckenridge.com/the-mou...ft-status.aspx

Here is Breck’s reports! Also has everything you need.

Terrain status, percent ungroomed, weather forecast, snow in the last 24, 72 and week.

I find that the puffed up reports have a tendency to sugar coat so you come. Even Wildcats above - Mother Nature is throwing some weird stuff our way!

We actually pay attention to forecasts for the most part!

Actually just get out there - you will find what makes you happy. Oh and take what the mountain gives you!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    On one hand I agree with this but I can also rationalize another theory, for Wildcat at least. 'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging. Even if you're doing a multiday stay in Jackson you're still essentially day tripping to Wildcat, which arguably creates an implicit need for an informative report. That said if I had to guess one way or the other I do still believe Vail will purge Wildcats reports eventually. I also agree with the "just go ski regardless of conditions because you've already paid for your vacation" theory about Vail snow reports.
    Mount snow and Crotched still have the narrative. They will all change next year. Okemo and Sunapee got their first season under the non-vail way. This year they are on the new platform. Now Okemo puts out a narrative on their facebook page due to the backlash.

Thread Information