Flight conundrum, non-stop vs connection, with a twist - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This is in my wheelhouse, and I don't have a very good answer. I could give you dozens of things not yet mentioned to consider, and on the day of the flight something else could affect the departure. Think of it this way - On March 15th should I ski Snowbird, Big Sky, or Fernie? Sure there's historical averages, but you can get hosed anywhere, anytime, by weather, by equipment, by overbooking, by crew.

Your real variable is weather, and it's impossible to predict how that's going to affect those airlines. Yes those airlines have differences, but the timing and spread of that weather event (Combined with aircraft and crew positioning) will determine the winners and losers. In general a morning flight on an airplane that got in the night before is a good play, but what if the weather is down the tubes the night before, the airplane diverted, and no other flights are scheduled... That's how life is in aviation.

And sure, an airline can rebook you if they cancel, but there may not be any room on any outbound flight for the rest of that day. If you really want to cover your bet, find out the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options if your first flight fails. Then have the 800 number of those back-up airlines (and flight numbers) on speed dial. The second your first flight cancels, start walking towards the gate of your second airline while the phone is dialing. Oh, you do travel carry-on right?... No? You're hosed again.

Avoiding a connecting flight is a solid variable you can eliminate. No brainer if the flights are similarly priced.

The weather and the rest youve no power to eliminate.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Upon further reflection (thanks for all who contribute) I realize I basically have to gamble between

1) lowering the odd of complication (direct flight)
    vs
    2) lowering the "consequence" of complication (airline having limited substitute flight).

Insurance is a good suggestion, which may accomplish #2 in limiting the consequence if someone does go wrong. Looking into it...
    Last edited by abc; Jan 16, 2020 at 1:28 PM.

Look, that flight continues after Vancouver to Hong Kong. Cathay will be trying to do that trip every time as reliably as possible between the end points and the mid stop (Vancouver). I would think it is solid. Also, Cathay is tied to OneWorld (American) so there may be recovery options on that route. If you have any OneWorld status, that would help you with any potential interruptions on Cathay.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Look, that flight continues after Vancouver to Hong Kong. Cathay will be trying to do that trip every time as reliably as possible between the end points and the mid stop (Vancouver). I would think it is solid. Also, Cathay is tied to OneWorld (American) so there may be recovery options on that route. If you have any OneWorld status, that would help you with any potential interruptions on Cathay.

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post

Completely agree with above. I travel to Asia a ton,... Cathay is an awesome airline - I would take that flight without ANY hesitation.

Thanks for the chorus singing the praises of Cathay Pacific.

For those whom I never met in person, I’m originally from Hong Kong. So the airline is a familiar one. I have no problem flying them.

My initial hesitation was their sparse resource here in North America, in the event of any hiccups. But I’m now convinced they would be extra motivated to get the flight off the ground to get their passengers to Hong Kong. I’m just a hangers on who will also likely benefit from it.

I’ve also looked into the annual travel insurance. I think I’ll get it. That should help in defraying any expense in the event I get delayed. Not just this trip, but it’ll also cover the Tahoe trip in March too. As well as secondary medical coverage (my health insurance covers worldwide)

Again, thanks to all. This is a very helpful thread. I’m glad I asked. I hope others find the information useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    But Im now convinced they would be extra motivated to get the flight off the ground to get their passengers to Hong Kong.
    This makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in crew, safety, mechanicals or weather. None.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    This makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in crew, safety, mechanicals or weather. None.
    Sure. But you left out “profit margin” from your list of “whatsoever”!

I’ve seen it in budget airlines where they simply cancel the flight and made their passengers wait for 3 days!

You can believe your way. I’ll make my decision on what my believe.

Flights booked, on Cathay.

(I also have 3 days to back out, instead of just 24hr. Like, if another airline came out with a significantly lower fare tomorrow)
    Last edited by abc; Jan 17, 2020 at 8:01 AM.

Thread Information