Which of these is like the other? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Sunapee and Gunstock are similar in size and vert and have great views of nearby large lakes. For some reason, NH kills it with views from ski area summits in a way that VT and ME do not.
    100% - of course I can only imagine my NH bias shines through there.

    Both Sunapee and Gunstock have summit quads with similar length and vert (6,000+ feet and 1,300-1400 feet, respectively). I tend to look those types of things up before I try somewhere new because it tends to give me a good sense of what I'm working with and whether a new area/pod has decent pitch.

    Ski season is always too short

  2. #22
    Sunapee, Gunstock, Ragged and Shawnee Peak all kind of fit into the same niche to me. Maybe I'd throw Cranmore in too, but I haven't skied there in 30+ years. Mid sized mountains that certainly feel much larger than the next tier down in places like Wachusett, Crotched, Pats, Abram and others. But all lack substantial natural snowfall and aren't particularly challenging.

    I like Shawnee the best of them even with their poor lift infrastructure. It has the most consistent pitch with minimal run out and I think the most interesting trails. Powder day I probably pick Ragged for their vast glades. Sunapee is likely the most consistent product and skis the biggest, but is also the most crowded. Gunstock I'd rank last of the group. I had a pass there when I went back to school 2011-2014 because it was $199 and it's only 1:10 from home. I skied there maybe only 10 of my typical 25-30 ski days each season. The terrain just bores me. Pretty nice bar though. I'll give them that.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Sunapee, Gunstock, Ragged and Shawnee Peak all kind of fit into the same niche to me. Maybe I'd throw Cranmore in too, but I haven't skied there in 30+ years. Mid sized mountains that certainly feel much larger than the next tier down in places like Wachusett, Crotched, Pats, Abram and others. But all lack substantial natural snowfall and aren't particularly challenging.

    I like Shawnee the best of them even with their poor lift infrastructure. It has the most consistent pitch with minimal run out and I think the most interesting trails. Powder day I probably pick Ragged for their vast glades. Sunapee is likely the most consistent product and skis the biggest, but is also the most crowded. Gunstock I'd rank last of the group. I had a pass there when I went back to school 2011-2014 because it was $199 and it's only 1:10 from home. I skied there maybe only 10 of my typical 25-30 ski days each season. The terrain just bores me. Pretty nice bar though. I'll give them that.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I've still never been to Shawnee. Whenever I hopefully make it back to the Boston area, I'd really like to try the midsize places in western ME (lumping in Abram and Black, too). I haven't been to any of the midsize places you've mentioned in ~15 years, too. Even with Cranmore right down the street, it just never felt enticing enough to justify a day there when we could go to Attitash (and for half of those ~15 years, Wildcat) for no additional cost.

    On a somewhat related note, I tend to associate Bretton Woods with Okemo and Mt. Snow.

    I also tend to lump in SR, Killington and Tremblant into the same bucket in my head, although the latter tends to ski noticeably longer. Those three are the mega resorts that have a good amount of challenging terrain - something I can't say about Mt. Snow, Okemo, or (likely) Stratton.
    Ski season is always too short

  4. #24
    Whiteface is like a tilted ironing board.
    form is a 4 letter word

  5. #25
    I would add Bromley to the Sunapee Gunstock Shawnee mix.

    Pico and Mount Ellen I feel are very similar. Overlooked next to their sister resorts, big vert with a long run out. Multiple pods, but still very tall and narrow layout. Both have 2 HSQs to serve majority of Terrain. Burke might also fit in here as well.

    Attitash and Loon are both like small versions of Sunday River

    Obviously Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stratton all are very similar.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
    I would add Bromley to the Sunapee Gunstock Shawnee mix.

    Pico and Mount Ellen I feel are very similar. Overlooked next to their sister resorts, big vert with a long run out. Multiple pods, but still very tall and narrow layout. Both have 2 HSQs to serve majority of Terrain. Burke might also fit in here as well.

    Attitash and Loon are both like small versions of Sunday River

    Obviously Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stratton all are very similar.
    So VT has been a blind spot for me, but I've driven by Bromley, and that seems accurate from the street.

    I grew up skiing at Attitash and think the mini SR/Loon comp is spot on.

    Another pair I find similar is Orford and Burke.

    Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

  7. #27
    Slidebrook87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    NYC area/Mad River Valley VT
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
    I would add Bromley to the Sunapee Gunstock Shawnee mix.

    Pico and Mount Ellen I feel are very similar. Overlooked next to their sister resorts, big vert with a long run out. Multiple pods, but still very tall and narrow layout. Both have 2 HSQs to serve majority of Terrain. Burke might also fit in here as well.

    Attitash and Loon are both like small versions of Sunday River

    Obviously Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stratton all are very similar.
    I agree about Pico and North feeing similar in some ways but here are 3 key reasons that they also feel very different.

    1. Ellen is not a separate resort unlike Pico and therefore it doesn’t feel too small.

    2. Pico has more terrain or at least feels bigger. At Ellen you basically have the summit area from the top of GMX up, the terrain off of GMX and Inverness. At Pico you have the terrain off of Knome’s Knoll, Little Pico, Outpost, Golden and Summit. Pico just feels like it can stand alone as its own mountain whereas at Sugarbush, I have not once only skied Ellen because there’s just not enough to do over there, especially without natural snow.

    3. Ellen has a far better lift system IMO. At Ellen there are two detachable quads that run quite fast and get you to a lot of vertical. GMX is a bit annoying to lap due to the runout so North Ridge is superior. Inverness serves some good terrain and is never really crowded. At Pico there are 2 very slow detachables with the one serving the most vital terrain taking 10 minutes. Other than the detachables at Pico you have Outpost which is a quick and rare double chair along with two other Hall triple chairs.

    I’ve only skied Pico once and it was only for a half day, but I thought it was pretty good, but Pico really is begging for something other than a lack of crowds that can set it aside from Killington and bring in more customers. What real advantage other than a lack of crowds would make somebody want to ski Pico over Killington?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    I agree about Pico and North feeing similar in some ways but here are 3 key reasons that they also feel very different.

    1. Ellen is not a separate resort unlike Pico and therefore it doesn’t feel too small.

    2. Pico has more terrain or at least feels bigger. At Ellen you basically have the summit area from the top of GMX up, the terrain off of GMX and Inverness. At Pico you have the terrain off of Knome’s Knoll, Little Pico, Outpost, Golden and Summit. Pico just feels like it can stand alone as its own mountain whereas at Sugarbush, I have not once only skied Ellen because there’s just not enough to do over there, especially without natural snow.

    3. Ellen has a far better lift system IMO. At Ellen there are two detachable quads that run quite fast and get you to a lot of vertical. GMX is a bit annoying to lap due to the runout so North Ridge is superior. Inverness serves some good terrain and is never really crowded. At Pico there are 2 very slow detachables with the one serving the most vital terrain taking 10 minutes. Other than the detachables at Pico you have Outpost which is a quick and rare double chair along with two other Hall triple chairs.

    I’ve only skied Pico once and it was only for a half day, but I thought it was pretty good, but Pico really is begging for something other than a lack of crowds that can set it aside from Killington and bring in more customers. What real advantage other than a lack of crowds would make somebody want to ski Pico over Killington?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pico is begging for the interconnect.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I got a my only day at Platty this year (baby at home). Conditions weren't great, but I loved that place.
    Come on out when it's all in, we'll show you around.


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Never been to flattekill.
    Typo or misinformed snark?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:04 PM.