• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

drjeff

Considering you couldn't even find a bike to buy, it makes sense. All forms of rec vehicles sold out all over the country..While some markets perished, this market thrived.

Golf is another sport that has benefitted from the Covid crisis.

BenedictGomez

Governor of Colorado was just on CNBC saying it will be safe to be in gondys if it's all people in the same party.

Yo-kay then Gov. Have at that.

BenedictGomez

BG I haven't seen any mountain say they WON'T allow up to full-capacity of chairs or cabins with members all of the same group.

Neither have I, and I suspect you wont unless someone like a Fauci or a Gottlieb or some other medical expert gives it some negative publicity, which I doubt will happen. Gondy cabins seem pretty esoteric to me for people drinking from a firehouse.

1dog

Dr Altas will hopefully have some influence on these protocols.

When 'Chairman Fauci' says 90% of Americans are still at risk it is not helpful.

CDC Survival Rates ( if you actually contract it)
0-19 - 99.997%
20-49 - 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

Let people decide for themselves if they want to take the risk.

Whats the % on hitting a tree or getting in an accident on way to or from resorts?

We can eliminate all risk of death on roads if speed limit is 5 MPH . .

2Planker

When 'Chairman Fauci' says 90% of Americans are still at risk it is not helpful.

0-19 - 99.997%
20-49 - 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

Whats the % on hitting a tree or getting in an accident on way to or from resorts?

I met Scott Atlas, 29 years ago during my residency.
He was a complete idiot then and an even bigger idiot now !!!

Newpylong

0-19 - 99.997%
20-49 - 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

Hopefully he won't, because he's a nitwit that no one takes seriously.

The driving comparisons are nonsensical.

The problem is covid is killing people that are only being exposed to it by other clowns not taking any precautions. Yeah, that's the number on the bottom. Or do they not matter?

dlague

The problem is covid is killing people that are only being exposed to it by other clowns not taking any precautions. Yeah, that's the number on the bottom. Or do they not matter?

So the father of a friend of mine in Alabama died of a heart attack - his death certificate had the cause of death as COVID. I have heard of other cases like this. That led me to look into the following (2017 numbers)

ecd9be3f3481c7f16635db58701a0814.jpg

Of the 200k deaths due to COVID how many of the above got included - I would be will to bet a lot did.

Heck even in the nursing home where my mother is (many are end of life and non functioning in any way) 5 died of COVID but were near death to begin with. Not trying to sound cold but even influenza might have created the same result or months late natural causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellytele

So the father of a friend of mine in Alabama died of a heart attack - his death certificate had the cause of death as COVID. I have heard of other cases like this. That led me to look into the following (2017 numbers)

Of the 200k deaths due to COVID how many of the above got included - I would be will to bet a lot did.

Heck even in the nursing home where my mother is (many are end of life and non functioning in any way) 5 died of COVID but were near death to begin with. Not trying to sound cold but even influenza might have created the same result or months late natural causes.

Need to see where the other deaths rank this year so if the heart attack (or others) numbers are way down then we can discuss the mid information

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Need to see where the other deaths rank this year so if the heart attack (or others) numbers are way down then we can discuss the mid information

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

They are reporting influenza as a range at this time 24,000 to 60,000 - not sure why and there isn’t an explanation. We seem to average around 50,000 +/- a few thousand.

Edd

They are reporting influenza as a range at this time 24,000 to 60,000 - not sure why and there isn’t an explanation. We seem to average around 50,000 +/- a few thousand.

Flu cases should be way down this season due to COVID precautions.

Newpylong

This is one example and hypothetical. The death count from a single nursing home in Millinocket due to a worker having covid is now 7 within a couple weeks. 7 people would have not have died from influenza or other causes in the same home in one week. Now that person has to live with that because they went 'Murica at an illegal gathering.

It all goes back to needing to protect the vulnerable population and not writing them off just because they are old or have a condition. I

Last edited:

icecoast1

It all goes back to needing to protect the vulnerable population and not writing them off just because they are old or have a condition.

That should have happened from the beginning and could have happened without the large scale blanket statewide lockdowns. Unfortunately it didn't, and some states even made the situation worse by forcing covid positive patients back on the nursing homes

dlague

Funny thing about booting up at the car or truck! Here in Colorado that is a common practice. Many resorts do not have mega space to leave stuff laying around - there some that do lug boot bags but I bet my bottom dollar that they are from out of state! Also not uncommon to see people tailgating during lunch or apres especially at A Basin. On difference here is it rarely gets below zero and not many days are even in single digits.

Those super cold days will be interesting for sure for many not used to booting up at their cars. This is where snow boarders have the advantage!

Friends that visited us in the past from NH hated booting up in the parking lot! Looks like they will need to get used to it!

This also goes back to ski teams - they leave shit everywhere and are mass groups of lodge loungers. That will be a change for sure!

Newpylong

Gonna be a tough season for those of us with little ones that's for sure. But what can you do. I'll be happy to be skiing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is directly for anyone who is still a member of the Connecticut Ski Council...

Also of note for people who usually don't buy a pass and deal-hop from mountain-to-mountain...

The Connecticut Ski Council reports that so far only Killington/Pico has agreed to participate in the Bulk Ticket/Vouchers program this season. They will only offer a weekday/non-holiday, single-use ticket which is non-refundable.

The CSC is still finalizing the Council Awareness Days program. All participating mountains and dates will be listed on the CSC website skiclub.com soon. So far Killington/Pico, Burke, Jay Peak and Sugarbush have agreed to participate.

I'm surprised either program is running. Awareness Days are date-specific but the Vouchers are not date specific. So my final hypothesis is that Killington is thinking they will have excess capacity midweek.