• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Edd

Where I work, I’m on a 14 person team at a pharmaceutical manufacturer. Our work areas are called “suites”, which are multi-level and can be quite large, in terms of person per square foot.

However, we have a “control room”, which is where people gather for administrative decisions and documents are stored and sourced. It’s the popular space for staff, by necessity.

We wear gloves, masks, and oversuits (for human particles). The control room, which is about 14x23’, we bunch up in there 14 at a time sometimes. I don’t love that.

But, no COVID cases reported since this all started. This is in NH, btw.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

thebigo

I believe there is an area named grouse in BC where two trams are the only option out of the base area. Also, that area in northern Idaho with the several mile long Gondola that runs through people's yards.

I will not ride an enclosed lift this year, not worth it but also not a huge loss. Early season at k is the only time I typically ride an enclosed lift and that is not happening this year anyway.

As for ischgl, I work very closely with a number of Austrians. We discussed the outbreak in the spring, apparently the local tradition at ischgl is to play beer pong by spitting the ball in your opponent's cups.

BenedictGomez

Are you going to be making out with stangers inside the gondola? What is your exposure avenue for these 10 minutes assuming everyone is fully dressed, has their gater up and is not coughing all over the place?

The same as it is everywhere else in the world, inhalation.

I also think you're making a massive assumption that everyone will be "masked up" in gondola cars, especially given they're being told that it's "safe" to enter the gondola with people from the same family.

My assumption of human nature is the polar opposite of yours, that those folks who think it's 100% "safe" since someone with COVID19 isnt immediately in the gondy car with them, will not bother wearing masks at all.

You can say "I am wrong or this is irrelevant" but I think you would find most doctors would say there is a very low probability of transmission in this scenario. But the morale of the story really is, don't ride them if you're not comfortable.

I think you'd be wrong about that. At least, I'd hope you'd be wrong about that.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
First off, if Cannon did the same with their tram, it would be 20 max in that box. Secondly, you have to be wearing a mask and considering the tram has an operator on board, doubt anyone will be getting away without wearing one. Third, of they are running at that reduced of a capacity, lift line could be several minutes long so the "heavy breathers" from and exhilarating run should have slowed their breathing rate down to a normal rate by the time they board.

Again, everyone will have their own comfort levels with things. My job makes me travel, I'm a pilot is a small corporate jet. We stay in hotels, we eat at restaurants (sometimes I get take out and bring back to the room, but that has gotten old) with appropriate spacing, we get airlined around and have to use Lyft/Uber and take shuttle vans. So again, my perception of the risks have been colored by my job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Also one more thing for me that has always creeped me out about trams/gondolas besides the urine smell. Peoples breath will condense and freeze on the walls/windows leaving a icy slimy glaze . But hey if you want to ride go for it ,I'm not saying others can't .

Glad you're still working I have two friends who work for major airlines that haven't flow since March . Tough business right now ! I have been working the whole pandemic and been out in public every day but just don't like the idea of confined space with little to no ventilation . I took a cheap trip to Denver 3 weeks ago for a vacation flight was pretty well spaced .

Gondolas seem to be a very inefficient way of moving people uphill anyway . Lots more weight compared to chairs and lower uphill capacity . I do like trams though even if just for the fact your not forced to sit down .

Killingtime

Also one more thing for me that has always creeped me out about trams/gondolas besides the urine smell.
Haha I can honestly say I've never had "urine smell" experience in a tram or gondola although there have been plenty of times someone smelled as though they just throw their gear in the trunk of their car and it goes unwashed, for a few seasons.

BenedictGomez

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Haha I can honestly say I've never had "urine smell" experience in a tram or gondola although there have been plenty of times someone smelled as though they just throw their gear in the trunk of their car and it goes unwashed, for a few seasons.

It was a really busy weekend ..............Smelled like weed too .

Glade Monkey

Pretty sure Sunshine Village AB. is the same way

( Quoting thebigo )
We were at Banff Sunshine on their last open day this season. Everyone rides the 8 person gondola from the parking area up to the base area. They were maxing it out at 4 people per cabin and only making you ride with the group that you came with. All the lift lines around the mountain were well spaced and had the same rules.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There's a lot of gondola's that make sense. It allows you to do big events for non-skiers year around and sightseeing. The events business at these ski resorts is HUUUUUUUGE. Charge twice as much per plate compared to something at the base of the mountain and claim its for "sparkling views" and "the remote access" of having to ship-up some extra liquor in a snowcat the night before. It's stupid money. Remember Bretton Woods put in a new gondola/lodge for this purpose. SR cited going with a Chondola for having the lodge access as well.

Other useful gondolas being stuff you'll only ride once or twice a day- pretty much just Killington Skyeship 1 here in the East but many many places out west just for getting out of lower-mountain areas.

mister moose

I've long suspected gondolas are typically more about marketing than efficient ski operations (SEE: Belleayre).
Gondolas are exciting and less scary vs chairs for infrequent and low skill skiers.
It allows you to do big events for non-skiers year around and sightseeing. Other useful gondolas being stuff you'll only ride once or twice a day- pretty much just Killington Skyeship.

You guys should know better. On a windy sub zero day the gondola is a welcome refuge from the in your face frostbite winds. There is no line at that temp, and there are no wedge turners, just skiers. Same is true on a 32 degree freezing drizzle day, your gloves last longer in the gondola. On a sunny 20 degree day, who cares, ride the chair. But I say gondies definitely have their place, in addition to marketing and dinners at the peak. Also, pre-6Pack they were the fastest bulk transport up the mountain.

Newpylong

Yep. Both gondolas at K (at least) make more sense operationally vs chairs.

K Peak has relatively low downhill capacity and the old K-Peak double was a brutally cold ride. There is now the bigger peak lodge, Mt biking, off-season offerings, full speed download capabilities, etc.

Skyeship makes even more sense. It is a very long ride, does not need high capacity, and Northbrook Station unload/load would be pretty tough with a chair.