Utah vs Colorado Thansgiving/Early December?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Utah vs Colorado Thansgiving/Early December?

    Trip planning for next season already starting! Looking at Utah and/or Colorado for a two week stretch post-Thanksgiving into early December.

    Is there a more probable bet on which region gets more terrain open firs? Or is it a true 50/50 shot and a "wait and see" kinda deal? Also I hear about resorts getting push back for being "slow" to open (Vail and Park City come to mind a few seasons ago). Are there resorts that are more "quick" to open once they have snow/coverage? I'm sure it's a lot harder to open up 3,000+ acres out there in a week than an Eastern resort where you can go from WROD to 100% open overnight if you get a freak 3 foot November snowstorm.

    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  2. #2
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,767
    I admire your conviction and dedication to the notion that you will ski as usual come November.

    You're beginning to make a believer out of me.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I admire your conviction and dedication to the notion that you will ski as usual come November.

    You're beginning to make a believer out of me.
    *sigh*

    We made it zero posts before the Covid talk...

    They're skiing in Australia...not business as usual but there's asses on chairs going up the hill... https://www.9news.com.au/national/sn...6-5612471840ea
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  4. #4
    That time frame is always a bit of a crap shoot. Do you have flexibility? Can you make your pick of destinations a week or two before arrival? Are you limited to certain resorts/season passes? There are sometimes significant differences in conditions between CO and UT, sometimes not much difference. It's worth noting that sometimes lower angle resorts with good snowmaking systems can do well at that time frame, such as Beaver Creek. They don't require deep snow to cover gentle grassy trails. Sometimes very snowy resorts like Alta get good early dumps and can have better skiing than many others. Places like A-Basin and Loveland sometimes compete for first opening date based on cold temps and snowmaking terrain, but they can be stuck with WROD conditions for a while if they don't also get natural snow to open additional runs. It just depends.

  5. #5
    I think we'll be skiing in November but I doubt many (myself include) will step on a plane anytime soon, or ski outside New England.

    There have been numerous reports about people who were told that planes were only filling every-other row and requiring masks, to come on the plane and see a completely full plane, with not even the flight attendants wearing masks.

    I also don't see it being worth the risk, especially since out west doesn't really get good in terms of snow and terrain until January/February. Its normally not worth considering for me to fly out west for early season normally, even more not worth it now, at least for me.

    In some ways, western early-season skiing is worse than the east coast since they don't have good snowmaking systems.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    I also don't see it being worth the risk, especially since out west doesn't really get good in terms of snow and terrain until January/February. Its normally not worth considering for me to fly out west for early season normally, even more not worth it now, at least for me.
    I've been to Beaver Creek around 12/10 for a weekend with some friends when I lived in the Midwest. To gregnye's point, there wasn't a ton of natural stuff open. This was in-part due to snow and in-part due to choice. Grouse Mountain was closed with what seemed like sufficient snow if they wanted to open it up. It seemed like there just wasn't the appetite to push it that early in the season. Crowds were quite moderate and tickets/lodging were discounted for the early season.

    I've heard that Utah is generally a safer bet in the early season from people out there who claim to have lived in both states. No first hand experience, though. I would caution that places that are likely to be less serious about pushing the envelope to open advanced terrain (like Beaver Creek) could be a bit on the boring side in the early season, if that's what you're into.
    Ski season is always too short

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I hear about resorts getting push back for being "slow" to open (Vail and Park City come to mind a few seasons ago).
    Vail & Park City are both lower in elevation for their respective areas. Think Loveland/Arapahoe Basien and Alta/Snowbird instead.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    I think we'll be skiing in November but I doubt many (myself include) will step on a plane anytime soon, or ski outside New England.
    I think the airline industry will recover much quicker than people currently expect.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  9. #9
    I would honestly put my chips in on the east coast snowmaking powerhouses before spending money on a giant maybe.

  10. #10
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    28,041
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Trip planning for next season already starting! Looking at Utah and/or Colorado for a two week stretch post-Thanksgiving into early December.

    Is there a more probable bet on which region gets more terrain open firs? Or is it a true 50/50 shot and a "wait and see" kinda deal? Also I hear about resorts getting push back for being "slow" to open (Vail and Park City come to mind a few seasons ago). Are there resorts that are more "quick" to open once they have snow/coverage? I'm sure it's a lot harder to open up 3,000+ acres out there in a week than an Eastern resort where you can go from WROD to 100% open overnight if you get a freak 3 foot November snowstorm.
    Regardless of the pandemic, it's a 50-50 thing at best for Utah. Could be decent, or could be non-existent. Sorry, I can't really say more than that....
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.