• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Advice

hammer

OK, so I've been looking at some $299 ski deals from Sierra Snowboard for a while:

Fischer RX6: http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/4,1626.htm
Fischer AMC73: http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/4,1628.htm

I think I'll need to postpone purchasing for myself, but my son has definitely outgrown his 140 cm Atomic SX-7s (he's about 5'6", 120 lb) and I think he's out of junior skis at this point. Main problem is that the minimum length available appears to be 165cm on the RX-6 and 164cm on the AMC73, which would make them pretty long at this point (although they would offer room for growth).

My son and I are both similar in skill level...best term I can think of is "solid east coast groomer intermediate."

Any opinions on getting either of these skis for my son? Also, If I do decide to pull the trigger on new skis for myself, would either of these be good candidates or should I wait?

I guess I'd like to know whether these are too good of a deal to pass up...

Puck it

I would do it. He will get use to them and grow into them. Both good intermediate skis.

Puck it

They might be a little long for a 5"6" person due to there shape. Again, to good a deal to apss up for a kid. If he does not like then the father can take them.

I ski on160's supershapes and I am 5'10". They are a blast. Only one of skis in the quiver though.

jack97

koreshot

Go for it! Get the 165s.

Either one of those skis is shaped to turn, neither is super stiff or race ready and will be generally forgiving on the groomers. They might be a little long at first, he might feel a bit overwhelmed the first couple of times out, but they will force him to become a better skier. Plus he will be 5'9" and 150lbs in a year and the 155s will start to be too small :).

hammer

Thanks for all of the input.

I'm going to try to get my son to a ski shop to check some sizes...I'm inclined to go as long as I can since I think my son will be at least my height (5'9") in a few years. If the skis don't work out I could use them my self, although IMO 165 is just a bit short for my height and weight...

Any opinions on RX-6 vs. AMC 73?

jack97

I'm going to try to get my son to a ski shop to check some sizes...I'm inclined to go as long as I can since I think my son will be at least my height (5'9") in a few years. If the skis don't work out I could use them my self, although IMO 165 is just a bit short for my height and weight...

Most ski shops will tell you for a solid intermediate; the length of the ski should go up the mouth to the bridge of the nose. My wife is about 5'5", she skis on 150 to 155 cm.

FWIW, ski haus has their tent sale in MA this weekend, might kill two birds with one stone... good pricing along with asking some of the guys from the ski shop about length. In addtion, they might have use skis up to that length but iirc it's really rare.

Greg

Staff member
Since when does height matter? A ski can't tell how tall you are.

In a way, you're probably right. Perhaps a taller skier could still use a longer ski due to leverage or something, but weight, I think, is a much more important factor. Any length estimates based solely on height are probably only good if you are exactly average weight for your height. I'm 6' 1" but only 165 lbs so I've been leaning towards shorter skis lately.

JimG.

Staff member

RX6 is a great ski...it's a detuned version of my ski, the RX8 and the only real difference is the RX6 has a wood core while the RX8 has a sheet of titanium in it too.

But I think the length at 165 is going to be a problem for him. I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and my RX8's are 170. But at 165, it would be a perfect ski for you.

jack97

Perhaps a taller skier could still use a longer ski due to leverage or something, but weight, I think, is a much more important factor. Any length estimates based solely on height are probably only good if you are exactly average weight for your height.

I tend to agree along with skier preference. The longer length may give you fore/aft stability, some skiers prefer this over other factors, then again, to other its a minor consideration.

Getting back to a kid whose is growing and a solid intermediate. The problem is whether he has command of his turns in most type of terrain. If he still stems his turns (causing his tips to move closer), i would caution against a significant increase in length, it would just cause major frustration and or bad develop bad habits IMO.

IMHO jump from 140 to 165 is little bit too much if 165 only one pair skis your son will have without 150 or 155. Why not consider Fischer Vision 70 available in 152 or 158 and they are little bit wider good review on those too.

http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/4,1630.htm

The Vision line from Fischer is their ladies collection...while it wouldn't be a bad ski performance wise it could be a bit rough on his blossoming teenage male ego if he gets called out for being on ladies skis.
I agree on the length issue...especially if he's moving out of jr skis into adults...a ski that's quite a bit longer and stiffer could set him back a bit...better to get him into something in the mid 150 range in an adult ski...RX6 is a great choice...just not in a 165. AMC73 and RX6 are similar ability/performance levels...the RX is narrower throughout...better fall line, groomer ski, quicker edge to edge, while the AMC is wider and will be a little more versatile in softer snow, crud and spring mush.

Last edited:

hammer

The Vision line from Fischer is their ladies collection...while it wouldn't be a bad ski performance wise it could be a bit rough on his blossoming teenage male ego if he gets called out for being on ladies skis.

I'd never do that to a 14 - 15 YO boy...that's too cruel.

I agree on the length issue...especially if he's moving out of jr skis into adults...a ski that's quite a bit longer and stiffer could set him back a bit...better to get him into something in the mid 150 range in an adult ski...RX6 is a great choice...just not in a 165.

jack97 included a link on eBay for RX-6s in a 150cm length, same price as Sierra Snowboards...may be worth considering. Anyone here had any bad experiences with eBay purchases?

jack97

jack97 included a link on eBay for RX-6s in a 150cm length, same price as Sierra Snowboards...may be worth considering. Anyone here had any bad experiences with eBay purchases?

More than half of my online purchases have been through ebay. No problems yet but I buy from sellers who have great ratings and have been around for a while. The seller for the RX-6 meets my criterion, I would not hesitate buying from them.

Also, it helps a farm.

molecan

I've had some great SkiBay purchases. I would however like to pipe in that I just got my wife a set of Volkl Attiva Queens off SierraSnowboards, and they shipped em speedily, packages well, and arrived in great shape.
Best of all, shipping is FREE.

One thing to watch on Ebay is the location of the seller. You'll get a bill for tarrifs if you buy from a canadian seller. I got $50 bill (maybe more) when I bought Gotamas a few years back. Still a good deal, but not quite as sweet.