• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pack or no pack??

prisnah

Do you ski with a pack on, without , or is it circumstantial?

Personally, I ski with one on probably 90% of the time just becuase i have a water reservoir, can carry and eat lunch on the lift, and can have a place to store more layers....allows for more time actually skiing, plus I don't have to worry about getting a locker.

Definitely not...I like to be as light as possible when skiing...I have a Northface Camelbak pack and I only used that a few days and it was a pain. If I'm thisty I eat snow..and sometimes I bring pocket meat with me..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Circumstantial- always while touring. I usually don't take one to the resorts. I have a small CamelBak Rogue I bought quite a few years back for mountain biking I use at the resorts for water which has a small cargo net for a trail map, two way, or anything else I don't want in my pockets.

twinplanx

Gave up the pack about 7-8yrs ago due to an unfortunate pack-rat situation. Lately I've been looking for something small to keep a dry pair of gloves extra goggles or some lunch in. Also would like to pick up something more serious for strapping skis to when I earn turns. He said pocket meat ...

skibum1321

Definitely not...I like to be as light as possible when skiing...I have a Northface Camelbak pack and I only used that a few days and it was a pain. If I'm thisty I eat snow..and sometimes I bring pocket meat with me..

Eating snow actually lowers your core temp and dehydrates you more. In other words, usually not a good idea.

I don't ski with a pack unless I'm hiking enough that I need somewhere to throw my skis.

Talisman

In the East I never ski with a pack. I like skiing light and have enough pockets in my parka. An exception is spring skiing I will wear my Camelback Mule for hydration and to sore extra stuff as I don't wear a parka.

In the West, I do were a Camelback for hydration to keep altitude affects in check when above 8000 feet.

dmc

Only if I'm slipping the surly bounds...

TBL

Packed

Ski with a pack about 50% of the time. No rhyme or reason to it.

As for the comment on eating snow...what is the difference in eating 30 degree snow and drinking 35 degree water? Water is used to hydrate, thus usually a good thing. If there is no difference and it is actually hurting me, then then why should I be using a camelback? Should I stick to filling it up with my favorite frosty beverage to keep my core all warm and fuzzy? Please explain. thx.

ctenidae

...what is the difference in eating 30 degree snow and drinking 35 degree water? Should I stick to filling it up with my favorite frosty beverage to keep my core all warm and fuzzy? Please explain. thx.

Density is the difference. Frosty beverages are perfectly acceptable.

No pack. No reason to carry one.

twinplanx

Ski with a pack about 50% of the time. No rhyme or reason to it.

As for the comment on eating snow...what is the difference in eating 30 degree snow and drinking 35 degree water? Water is used to hydrate, thus usually a good thing. If there is no difference and it is actually hurting me, then then why should I be using a camelback? Should I stick to filling it up with my favorite frosty beverage to keep my core all warm and fuzzy? Please explain. thx.

I think it has something to do w/ the energy it takes to convert the frozen stuff to liquid and the actual amount of water consumed. You would probably have chow down like 8 snowballs to a cup of water. But when there is no water available I'll chow on snow:cool:(after checking for discoloration)

Grassi21

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Density is the difference. Frosty beverages are perfectly acceptable.

No pack. No reason to carry one.

Not only that, but it takes a tremendous amount of energy to induce a phase change in water. To boil water (latent heat of vaporization) requires much more energy then to melt ice (latent heat of fusion) however, both amounts of energy are orders of magnitude over the energy required to raise the temperature of ice/water/vapor within a state.

To give you an idea of the difference- the latent heat of fusion of ice at 0 C is 334 kJ (kilojoules) per kg. The specific heat capacity of ice... the energy required to raisce the temperature of ice by one degree C is about 2 kJ/kg, while its about 4 kJ/kg for water.

So if, for the time being, we assume your body is an infinite heat resevoir (it's not) at a constant temperature of 37C, and energy will be expended to raise the water you intake to that temperature, per unit of ice at 0C will require 334 kJ + 4 kJ * 37 deg C = 482 kJ.

If you drank the same mass in the form of water, at 4 C, the energy required to raise it's temperature to your body temperature is 4 kJ * (37-4) deg C = 132 kJ.

So drink instead of eating requires 27% of the energy eating snow does. Of course in reality, your body temperature will vary by how many food calories you're burning and a myriad of other factors, but this gives you an idea of the energy impact taking in ice or snow makes instead of water.

ctenidae

All of the above would be at atmospheric pressure, by the way.

nerds.jpg

Greg

Staff member
I never wear one. I can usually get everything I need in the pockets of my jacket. I do wear a small Camelback in the spring. I have a lumbar pack with two small water bottles which I might try this year.

Hahaha..
NERDS...lol

I mainly eat a little snow to cure cotton mouth..not so much to hydrate. When I ski at Jackson Hole..and I get really thisty..I drink two cups of water before skiing..usually a gatorade on the Gondola..two-four cups of water with lunch..and then some gatorade later on.

Gaper fools day at Blue was a blast...I drank beer the whole day and didn't even crash into a tree on the drive home..:flag:

DEVO

I always wear one because when I ski with the kids there is stuff in there for them (extra gloves, neck warmer, snacks, etc) and stuff for me (fluid, extra gloves, first aid kit, radios in case we split up, etc). I also almost always carry a small video camera (we make a ski movie every year of the past season) so that's usually in there. I also wear it when we ski places like Jay with friends because we hardly ever ski regular open trails there, so I always have it on out in the woods for the first aid kit, radios, etc, etc. Plus it makes carrying skis that much easier if I have to hoof it somewhere. I have been wearing a pack for the last couple of seasons now and once it's on, I don't even know it's there.