• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beginner Skier - any mountain recommendations?

mookiewils

I started skiing late last year after taking a lesson at Mohawk in CT. I was wondering if someone could recommend some mountains in CT, Mass, or VT for a beginner. I tried Mohawk and Stratton. I liked the green runs in Stratton but it seems a little expensive.

MRGisevil

I started skiing late last year after taking a lesson at Mohawk in CT. I was wondering if someone could recommend some mountains in CT, Mass, or VT for a beginner. I tried Mohawk and Stratton. I liked the green runs in Stratton but it seems a little expensive.

Welcome, Mookie! If you're looking to stay local and not spend a ton while you're learning, you can always try Butternut or Catamount. I checked out Mohawk for the first time this weekend and it seemed like a good place to learn. I also hear Wachusett's a pretty good place but I've never been there.

tjf67

Jimney Peak in Mass and Okemo in Vt. Neither are cheap.

Okemo is going to be the better of the two.

MRGisevil

Mookie, where are you from? If you post your origin, you might get a better mix of responses with places closer to your area.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Not much to pick from in CT. Other than Mohawk (which I LOVE!), there's Sundown (New Hartford) and Southington (Southington) that I would recommend (though I prefer Ski Sundown over Southington). Woodbury has a small hill, too. Catamount and Butternut in MA (Catamount is technically NY, right on the border with MA) are other great suggestions without having to travel far. I've skied at both during my first season skiing and there's plenty to do for beginners.

I have not been to Berkshire East, but if you want to travel a little further north, that's the new place I want to try this year. Looking on their trail maps, it seems like there's plenty for beginners to do - and their midweek rates are CHEAP!

mookiewils

Thanks for the replies. I'm from the Hartford area. How is the night skiing at Southington? Maybe I can get some practice after work...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the replies. I'm from the Hartford area. How is the night skiing at Southington? Maybe I can get some practice after work...
I haven't skied at night at Southington, but there are plans in the works for an AlpineZone Wed night gathering at Ski Sundown in New Hartford on a weekly basis.

Mapnut

Berkshire East has a long, very easy run from the top, Outback to Roundabout (or is it Roundabout to Outback? I forget!) Lift tickets under $50 and it's never crowded. For something with more pitch on which you should improve fast, Exhibition is a very wide 2,500-foot-long practice slope served by a quad chair, about as steep as it ought to be before being rated blue. There are a few other easy ways from the quad back to the main lodge, but only the one easy trail from the top.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Agree - the Berkshires would be a great place to be. Nice balance of trails and more reasonably-priced.

mookiewils

Bershire East looks good. I'm thinking of skipping work on Friday if I can convince my buddy to go. Do you think these trails will be open on Friday?

molecan

Berkshire East doesn't seem to be open yet. I'd call them and ask, but not get my hopes up.

ERJ-145CA

I will have to second Bromley, they have some good beginner terrain and they are reasonably priced. Weekday tickets are $25.

RISkier

I agree that Berkshire East has some very nice terrain and the one trail that goes off the backside is long and gentle and would be a very nice cruise for beginners. But don't go there until you're sure those green trails are open. When we were getting started we thought the South Peak area at Mt. Sunapee was lots of fun and it's isolated from the main mountain so you generally don't have folks flying past you. Once you're comfortable on all the greens in the South Peak area (ignore the blue directly under the lift which doesn't have snowmaking) you'll be ready to ski Ridge (a long gentle blue) from the main summit. Going further afield and probably not doable as a day trip I'd also recommend Bretton Woods. A beginner can ski off of almost every lift. There's tons of nice green trails that have consistent pitch. And most of the blues provide nice transition terrain when you feel more adventurous. I hear good things about Bromley for beginners but I've never been.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bershire East looks good. I'm thinking of skipping work on Friday if I can convince my buddy to go. Do you think these trails will be open on Friday?

I really like the place, but BE is very frugally managed. don't expect to see them turning until Xmas.

If you really want to go NOW, Bromley is a great choice for early seasons.

Paul

Buttercup will have about 7 trails open on Dec 7th. Good for beginners.Short drive from central CT (1 1/2 hrs)

bvibert

Staff member
Don't discount the local hills. They'll have plenty of terrain to keep a beginner occupied and are much closer.

ts01

Don't discount the local hills. They'll have plenty of terrain to keep a beginner occupied and are much closer.

In that vein, look at Otis Ridge -- http://www.otisridge.com/index.html -- and Blandford -- http://www.skiblandford.org/ . Both are quite close to you and much less of an investment in time and money to get what's best for a beginner -- miles underfoot on gentler terrain, along with lessons at a more reasonable cost if that's of interest. I took a one hour private lesson at Otis Ridge when I was just starting out and it was very helpful. Low crowds, low hassle. Can't speak to the terrain and Blandford as I haven't been there but for a true beginner, OR was just fine.

On the other hand small can get boring real fast, and a moderate step up like Butternut would add more variety, a more professional ski school, and much more reliable coverage. Bnut doubled its snowmaking capacity this year and if the temps stay cold should be in good condition soon. A season pass at Butternut is usually a good deal. Just avoid it or arrive very early on holidays and big weekends, it can get crowded.