• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

good eats in stowe?

gladerider

i have a family trip coming up soon during the pres week in feb. i've never been there during that week and have no idea which places are good for family for lunches and dinners. any recommendations?
also, does it get busy enough that week that i should make dinner reservations?

ccskier

Yes, you should definately make reservations. Try Harrisons- Main Street, Charlie B's-Stoweflake, Stowehof-pub or dining room, Tratoria La Festa-Italian, and Olive's Bistro.

People are going to blurt out place like the Shed, etc.. sure it has some decent beer, but the food is nothing to write home about, can get the same stuff at any other pub, go in have a beer to say you have done so. Stowe is actually a pretty good food town, used to be a bit better.

RISkier

Yes, you should definately make reservations. Try Harrisons- Main Street, Charlie B's-Stoweflake, Stowehof-pub or dining room, Tratoria La Festa-Italian, and Olive's Bistro.

People are going to blurt out place like the Shed, etc.. sure it has some decent beer, but the food is nothing to write home about, can get the same stuff at any other pub, go in have a beer to say you have done so. Stowe is actually a pretty good food town, used to be a bit better.

Except for Tratoria La Festa I've not eaten at any of the restaurants mentioned above but all have pretty good reputations. Olive's especially has been recommended to us by locals. Blue Moon is also supposed to be good. Tratoria La Festa was a favorite of ours but the last couple of times we've been we haven't been as impressed -- not a bad experience, just not as impressive. I'dd add Piecasso (SP?) as a place for families. The Matterhorn has good pizza and wings, though I'm not sure it's where I'd take a family. Gracies has good pub grub. If money is no object you might take a drive up to the Trapp Family Lodge but it's very pricey. I think the on Mountain food at Stowe is pretty unimpressive. Jose's Cantina in the Midway Lodge is decent and I've heard the Cliff House at the top of the gondi is good but haven't eaten there.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'd echo what ccskier has listed, especially Olive's.

If you want fine dining, I'm told the best in the area now is Michael's on the Hill a bit south on 100 towards Waterbury. Another good Italian option if open is the Foxfire.

BeanoNYC

I'll never understand people loving Olives so much. I like Ye old England Inn and both restaurants at Stoweflake. Miquels Stowe Away for Mexican, but someone told me it's closed now. Have fun and report back!!!!

NH24fan

I have eaten at both Harrisons and Tratoria La Festa several times, two of our favorites in Stowe!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll never understand people loving Olives so much. I like Ye old England Inn and both restaurants at Stoweflake. Miquels Stowe Away for Mexican, but someone told me it's closed now. Have fun and report back!!!!

Olive's has just been consistently good for years and years. Not spectacular, but good. The bread there is the best in town and it's a good value. It's a locals joint and I and ccskier used to be local to the area.

I had some good meals at the Ye old England Inn, but always felt they catered to the out of town crowd more than the locals. There really is kind of a clear divide in management philosophies at restaurants and hotels in town between those who are only interested in ripping off tourists and those that truly appreciate the locals because it's the locals that will keep them going during the off seasons.

As for the Stoweflake, you couldn't pay me to go in there. The owner of that hotel is the biggest JERK in town and I'm sure if you asked any local their opinion of Chuck, they'd say the exact same thing only laced with expletives.

Miguel's was decent for mexican, but I always found the Cactus Cafe to have better food.

frozencorn

Not too crazy about the Tratorria. Not sure why, just not.

The good, as mentioned Harrisons and Olives. England Inn

Charlie B's Pub also good. The new pizza place (Piecasso) also makes a stellar pizza and is a good family environment. Green Mountain Hotel's Whip also a favorite.

I haven't eaten at the new Normas at Top Notch, but every other meal I've had there has been awesome. Pricey but worth it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
food, glorious food

i have a family trip coming up soon during the pres week in feb. i've never been there during that week and have no idea which places are good for family for lunches and dinners. any recommendations?
also, does it get busy enough that week that i should make dinner reservations?

Dinner reservations are often a must, especially President's day. Breakfast, Lunch not so much. Do it before you get back from skiing.
What are you looking for? There are about 60 restaurants all over the map in terms of menu and service. How old are your kids.

If you really want to do something funky, American Flatbread Pizza (Waitsfield) opens it's doors on the weekend to (folding) table service - very, very creative pizza. Combine it with a day at Sugarbush, MRG or Bolton, you've got a winner. My family is going there at the end of Feb. My family calls it "hippie pizza"

Tell us more about what you like and what your family WILL eat. That narrows things down fast. :)

Last edited:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Miguel's closed. Pie Casso has been here about 8 years. Prolly THE family oriented place in town right now with a good bar for snowboarders, skiers go to the Matterhorn and the Shed. Gracies for famlies. Green Goddess in the lower village for breakfasts. Cactus Cafe is descent, but spendy for peasant food. Poppers are great there! Alchemist in waterbury for a great, affordable beer and food night. Go early with the kids. I work at the Blue Moon. Menu changes weekly. It's spendy, but good. Swiss pot is a good family spot that has been real popular this year.

gladerider

thanks for all the tips.

i have a 9 and a 11 year old kids. they eat anything and everything. not so picky. i have formal dining with them without a problem.

we will be there for 5 days. probably will do lunches on mountain, but if there is a walking distance lunch joint without driving, we will probably try. if i remember correctly though, i don't think there was anything in walking distance. i think you had to drive a mile or so to get anywhere.
for dinners, we probably will do 3-4 casual and 1-2 decent. quality of the food that justifies the price, whether expensive or not, is the most important than anything else.

during my last trip to stowe i had a dinner at a place where i cannot remember the name. it had a center stage with vaulted ceiling where live bands can play. had wooden booths on the side with TVs hanging by sidewalls. it was a good casual place to eat, although it got a bit louder as soon as the band started playing. does it ring a bell?

once again, thanks for all your input...:)

deadheadskier

Staff member
during my last trip to stowe i had a dinner at a place where i cannot remember the name. it had a center stage with vaulted ceiling where live bands can play. had wooden booths on the side with TVs hanging by sidewalls. it was a good casual place to eat, although it got a bit louder as soon as the band started playing. does it ring a bell?

Rusty Nail?

BeanoNYC

Olive's has just been consistently good for years and years. Not spectacular, but good. The bread there is the best in town and it's a good value. It's a locals joint and I and ccskier used to be local to the area.

I had some good meals at the Ye old England Inn, but always felt they catered to the out of town crowd more than the locals. There really is kind of a clear divide in management philosophies at restaurants and hotels in town between those who are only interested in ripping off tourists and those that truly appreciate the locals because it's the locals that will keep them going during the off seasons.

As for the Stoweflake, you couldn't pay me to go in there. The owner of that hotel is the biggest JERK in town and I'm sure if you asked any local their opinion of Chuck, they'd say the exact same thing only laced with expletives.

Miguel's was decent for mexican, but I always found the Cactus Cafe to have better food.

....and now I know. Thanks, good to know. Anyhoo...You can make reservations to take the gondola up on a Saturday night and have dinner up at the Cliff house. I think it's prixe fix.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If you really want to do something funky, American Flatbread Pizza (Waitsfield) opens it's doors on the weekend to (folding) table service - very, very creative pizza. Combine it with a day at Sugarbush, MRG or Bolton, you've got a winner. My family is going there at the end of Feb. My family calls it "hippie pizza"
Waitsfield is a bit of a drive from Stowe, but I second Flatbread. They make an awesome "hippie pizza". :D We actually have one of their recently franchised restaurants about 25 min from home and it's always a treat to go there. Plus everything is healthy - organic or all natural, and usually local.

Gracies for famlies.
Gracies is decent. Pub atmosphere. Pub food. I'd go there again.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Waitsfield is a bit of a drive from Stowe, but I second Flatbread. They make an awesome "hippie pizza". :D We actually have one of their recently franchised restaurants about 25 min from home and it's always a treat to go there. Plus everything is healthy - organic or all natural, and usually local.

Gracies is decent. Pub atmosphere. Pub food. I'd go there again.

Be forewarned - they only have two seatings, I think its 530 and 630, first come first queued. It fills up, so we usually go right from the mountain. check their web page before you go. Yeah waitsfield is a bit of a drive, but if y ou've got nothing else to do in the eve and the weather is good....

or if pizza's your thing, Pie in the Sky is a good cheap eat, better than your average sub shop pizza.

ccskier

Forgot, about Michaels on the hill, have heard phenominal reviews, even the Phantom dude liked it. Pie-casso, is pretty good. I would base it all on where you are staying, in the village you are in walking distance, on the mountain road everything is a drive. If you are there for 5 days, go spend an afternoon in Burlington plenty of other choices there, just a 45 minute drive. If you want to travel around, a few guy I know just opened a pizza pub in Johnson, the Hub, I heard it is great. There is also a new awsome little place in Johnson called Winding Brook Bistro. It is nice to go to Stowe, but also nice to get out and explore the surrounding areas. If you are every up in the Jay area, there is 1 choice, the Belfry.

frozencorn

Miguel's closed. Pie Casso has been here about 8 years. Prolly THE family oriented place in town right now with a good bar for snowboarders, skiers go to the Matterhorn and the Shed. Gracies for famlies. Green Goddess in the lower village for breakfasts. Cactus Cafe is descent, but spendy for peasant food. Poppers are great there! Alchemist in waterbury for a great, affordable beer and food night. Go early with the kids. I work at the Blue Moon. Menu changes weekly. It's spendy, but good. Swiss pot is a good family spot that has been real popular this year.

Right....I meant Piecasso's new location, where Grill 108 was once upon a time.

Alchemist's beer might be the worst I have ever had. And I've had plenty.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right....I meant Piecasso's new location, where Grill 108 was once upon a time.

Alchemist's beer might be the worst I have ever had. And I've had plenty.

I'll certainly third or fourth the Piecasso notion, it's a great place and a shameless plug as my old roomate is the manager there.

I had actually heard quite the opposite regardin Alchemist's beer. Then again I can't stand Shed beer anymore and most people love it. That fact probably has to do with me working at the Shed when I was 21 and at the time employees could take home growlers for a $1. I was a tad bit abusive of the privilege :lol:

snowmonster

If you're looking for a good place for lunch, I recommend the Austrian Tea Room near the Trapp Family Lodge. Good German/Austrian food, gluwein and strudel. Sit by the windows for a great view of the snow-covered meadow. Though it's a nice place to take the family, I would recommend it most for a nice quiet luch with your spouse.