• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Northeast Blizzard of 2005 Discussion Thread

dmc

rjc1976 said:
dmc said:
Rumour is they started blowing snow on Westway!!! Which already had a hard layer on it from natural and windblown manmade...

DMC, their recent e-mail confirms that they are blowing on Westway. They also mentioned that they have not blown on Westway in two years. Any idea why?

Exposure... Westway or 44 is wiiiiindblown... Tough to keep snow on.. But now there's a natural layer... So I think they're going to give it a shot..

When it's open.... It's as good as anything in the Northeast...

Some HiRes PIX..
http://www.powderhound.org/2001/hi-res/snow_1-14-01_rob_44_bright.jpg
http://www.powderhound.org/2001/hi-res/snow_3-18-01_44_Looking_up.jpg
http://www.powderhound.org/2001/hi-res/snow_3-18-01_44_looking_Down.jpg
http://www.powderhound.org/2001/hi-res/snow_3-18-01_44.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
WEather it happens or not... At least snowmaking condtions have been awesome!!!
One of my favorite trails at Hunter will be open this week!!! Westway... cool...

Very true, our local mountain has been making snow like crazy! :beer: I'm the only guy around here not complaining about the cold ;)

Cool pics, looks like a nice bump run.

Greg

Staff member
If this holds true, then I'll be dead center of the highest amounts! I'm gonna try to get up to Sundown on Sunday was some PM freshies... bvibert???

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
If this holds true, then I'll be dead center of the highest amounts! I'm gonna try to get up to Sundown on Sunday was some PM freshies... bvibert???

I was thinking the same thing, for once it looks like the snow is gonna come to us! :D I may just have to ski up there all day though ;)

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Greg said:

I was thinking the same thing, for once it looks like the snow is gonna come to us! :D I may just have to ski up there all day though ;)
Awesome! Look for me Sunday. I'm the guy on the left.

pepperdawg

bvibert said:
Greg said:

Yeah..great, a @#!$^& flatland storm.....just what we need. (dripping with bitterness and sarcasm).....I'm usually a1/2 full kinda guy, but VT/No. New England in general needs a major dump sooo bad. We are Soo due...I was hoping this was gonna be it...now looks like even the clipper around Tuesday is gonna p*ssy out.

:evil: :evil:

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:
Greg said:

Awesome! Look for me Sunday. I'm the guy on the left.

Will do, let me know what time you're planning on being there so I can be on the look out...

I'm the guy on the left or this guy. Sorry they're not the best pics

ChileMass

This morning Boston TV saying 8-14" locally late Sat/early Sun, with only 4-8" in the mountains. Hopefully, they will be wrong.

Wish I could join you guys next week.....

B

beswift

The info I got last night was we here on the Cape will see the most snow in this storm. The cross-country has been excellent. If there's a good dump, the woods will open up to a lot of trail skiing and snowshoeing.

Vortex

Channel 9 in manchester Nh has lower totals in the mountains. I like your forecast better. www.snow-forecast.com said 16 below at Sunday river tomorrow am. That's where I will be. Sounds to cold to snow alot. Hope someone gets the snow. Sounds like Ct will have fun on sunday.

hammer

beswift said:
The info I got last night was we here on the Cape will see the most snow in this storm. The cross-country has been excellent. If there's a good dump, the woods will open up to a lot of trail skiing and snowshoeing.

Do you know if there are any XC ski areas down there? My wife wants to get out and do some XC skiing, but the areas close to home have been closed because of a lack of natural snow.

dmc

Looking better for the "Skills"...
Hunter's predicting 8" - some predicting up to 16"...

-5 when I left this AM... Every snowgun was on... Place was groomed flat as a pancake last night...

B

beswift

hammer said:
Do you know if there are any XC ski areas down there? My wife wants to get out and do some XC skiing, but the areas close to home have been closed because of a lack of natural snow.
No groomed areas from what I know, the snow never lasts long enough. There are lots of fire roads, ect. which the dirt bikers and ATV's keep clear, though. Also you can ski on the golf courses. I think the course nearest the EMS in Hyannis might see some snowmobile activity. If you go to Myles Standish State Park in Plymouth, you can find an extensive bike trail system which is skiable.

Greg

Staff member
dmc said:
Hunter's predicting 8" - some predicting up to 16"...

-5 when I left this AM... Every snowgun was on... Place was groomed flat as a pancake last night...
Groomed base + Heavy Snowmaking + 8"-16" = :D DMC & :D JimG.