• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Northeast Blizzard of 2005 Discussion Thread

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:
dmc said:
Hunter's predicting 8" - some predicting up to 16"...

-5 when I left this AM... Every snowgun was on... Place was groomed flat as a pancake last night...
Groomed base + Heavy Snowmaking + 8"-16" = :D DMC & :D JimG.

:D :D :D :D
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

ctenidae

NECN weather's calling for 18 inches in Boston, 10 in Southern VT/NH and 5 in Northern NH/VT, all falling Sat night, early Sunday.

Good news. Very good news, indeed.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
My county (Suffolk) is under a Blizzard warning and is forecast to recieve 12 - 18" of snow. :eek:
Likewise for New Haven County, but we live in Litchfield County (serviced out of Albany) which is currently only under a Winter Storm Watch. We're right on the border of New Haven County though so we should see some decent amounts.

rpmk104

Is it a good idea to go skiing on saturday? I plan on going to mountain creek NJ on saturday with a couple of friends. I wish I can go on sunday...but I am only free on saturday. Do you think its safe to go on saturday? I am worried that I would have trouble getting home (live in queens, NY). Please advise! Thanks.

:p

RISkier

Sunday looks like a powder day at mighty Yawgoo. Had the flu all week with temp over 100 everyday. Thought I felt better this morning, went out to do a couple of needed errands, and limped in like a horse that had been rode hard and put up wet. Not sure I'll be ready for Sunday no matter the conditions.

D

danaes

Yeah, butternut should get some decent snow out of this. i get the butternut season pass every year. how can u not for $199 a season. :) . fun slopes to goof around on. from CT, its just an hour away so quick trip for a whole day or just a 1/2 day. i am heading up tomorrow. i checked and its supposed to start snowing in great barrington around 3pm and not stop till Monday AM. lol . go snow go!!!! the downfall is the driving gets in the way of the skiing. :cry:

B

beswift

rpmk104 said:
Is it a good idea to go skiing on saturday? I plan on going to mountain creek NJ on saturday with a couple of friends. I wish I can go on sunday...but I am only free on saturday. Do you think its safe to go on saturday? I am worried that I would have trouble getting home (live in queens, NY). Please advise! Thanks.

:p
Fortune Favors the Brave. When I was roaming the country as a young lad in my twenties with no direction home, I got caught in a Blizzard on Manhattan. A guy I knew wouldn't put me up and convinced me that I should go to New Orleans. I had enough cash to purchase a bus ticket to Harrisburg ,and I figured I could hitch the rest of the way. Sitting in the Port Authority Bus Station with the Homeless, I found out what life was all about. Once I got to Harrisburg, I couldn't get out of that city. I wound up spending the next night in their tiny train station waiting for a ride back to New England. All the time, it snowed. After that I never got caught at night on the backside of Killington. The next year I made it to New Orleans, the Superbowl and Mardi Gras.

dmc

loafer89 said:
My county (Suffolk) is under a Blizzard warning and is forecast to recieve 12 - 18" of snow. :eek:

So far my county(Green) doesnt have a blizzard warning,,,,,, Thank god... I'll take the snow - but leave the winds.....

ALLSKIING

Staff member
So far my county(Green) doesnt have a blizzard warning,,,,,, Thank god... I'll take the snow - but leave the winds.....[/quote]

The Island is always windy....Works well in the summer for sailing.

loafer89

There is a rather steep sledding hill near where I live and my son has a nice disk sled, so if the weather does provide the major dump of snow we are forecast to get, he should have fun. We also have two Saint Bernards who love to run around our yard when the snow is deep.

Thing will get ugly quick when the wind picks up on saturday night, even right now with just 5" of snow on the ground, it's blowing across my driveway :x

keeping roads clear tommorow night will probably prove impossible with high winds.

Zand

First off, I think the topic name should be changed to "The Blizzard of '05 Discussion Topic".

As for totals, I've heard 12"-18" for my area along with whiteout conditions and very low temperatures. It's a classic New England blizzard!

rotorite86

Same here Zand. All the local stations and The Weather Channel are saying something a bit different, but I have seen a minimum of about 8" here, up to 24". BTW, I am on southern CT, too bad there is no where to ski around here (besides, I am going back to school on Monday :-? )

pepperdawg

Al right - FInally - Looks as if VT is now forcast to get some action......Rutland Windsor Counties (Killington) are expecting 8-14" and Southern VT (Mt SNow)calling for 10-21".... :D :D

Leaving for Killington around 2pm today....have Monday off....If all goes well 2 days of flufflyness in my immediate future!!!!! So Stoked!!!! :D

Terry

storm thread

We are going to be on the northern fringe of the storm, but they are still calling for 6-10 inches!!!! I hope it warms up though- it is -36 right now here! :beer:

Terry

storm thread

Will hit the slopes later today, and definately tomorrow in the blizzard!!!!!!!! :beer:

skijay

I woke up this morning and it is -2F. The forecast changed! We were going to go to Butternut for 1/2 day, but I do not know if that will happen. Perhaps on Sunday.

I looked at the weather for Newport, VT and it looks like about 1 to 3 inches. I sure hope that is wrong, as they need the snow!