How would identify yourself? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SherpaKroto
    Nice site! First time poster here.

I'm a peakbagger. Any peak, no matter how small. I hike in all 4 seasons. Do I love the outdoors? Absolutely! I try to get out at least once a month, mostly day trips with 4-5 backpack trips a year thrown in. I hike mostly in NH and Maine, both solo and in groups. My motivation is both for the views and to remember why we are here (and to escape the office!. - SherpaKroto

i guess i would consider myself to be a Day Hiker... because i don't think i fit the definitions of backpacker or peakbagger.

i don't do over nights, only day trips, so i am definately not a backpacker. however, i only hike mountains, and i am hiking mountains on the NH4K list. however, i am not pursuing that list... and if i were to never finish it i could care less. i use the list as a suggested hiking list.

i love vertical, hiking on rocks, near cliffs, the view from the top, and i love the journey getting there and back. i don't hike to "bag" a peak, i hike mountains cause i love the mountains. same reason i ski in the winter time. so i don't consider myself a peak bagger as i do not have goals or am not determined to hike a list, or am not only pursuing hiking for the sake of reaching a summit, sometimes the best views and most interesting parts of a mountain are not the summit (for example, i consider the cliffs below whiteface's summit far more interesting than the summit itself-not the actual summit, but that area considered by most to be the summit).

i'm sure that's not the exact definition or denotation of the word 'peakbagger' but it brings connotations to mind i don't associate with.

Hiker

That seems to cover all the bases.

-dave-

woodchuck
    I've always loved to backpack. To me, the cooking and sleeping out is a big part of the experience even though I do more dayhikes than overnighters. I spent a year in the infantry in Viet Nam and swore that I would never sleep outside or carry a pack again but I never got it out of my system. I just love the 'outdoor experience'.

baume 66
    I would consider myself a backpacker. The only itenerary I set up is when and where I'm starting and when and where I'm ending with some idea of they route I will take. It is all subject to change depending on how many roses I stop to smell.

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndyS View Post
    I'm fairly new to message forums. I post on TrailTalk and like it there. Have recently begun preparing to start backpacking. Hiking has always been a favorite activity. I admit that I have no expertise to offer this forum, and I do ask a lot of questions. Sorry if that annoys some people. I'm married with two elementary school age kids, and am a girl scout leader.
    They did Mt Snow got about 5 inches this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    They did Mt Snow got about 5 inches this morning.
    ???
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

I'm more of a day hiker.

Looked like a pretty rough crowd back in 2001!
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    ???
    Phone want wacky this was meant for a different thread. As a skiier first who loves being out side.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I'm more of a day hiker.

Looked like a pretty rough crowd back in 2001!
    It was at first - this was partly because Greg went to other boards to promote this one. Some posters were territorial and came here to make life hard for him, but others came out of curiosity or because this was more regional than some of the boards Greg posted on. I think Greg handled it pretty well and slowly built this board (there was a time when even a few years in, I was one of people with the most posts).
    Support and maintain the Cohos Trail:
    http://www.causes.com/causes/555098-...he-cohos-trail

Team Pedxing walks for burn survivors.
    http://apps.facebook.com/causes/302329

Thread Information