• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Soft shell..or hard shell jacket..

On the topic of jackets..do you usually wear a hard shell or soft shell jacket??? I've only worn a hard shell jacket before but I see soft shells getting alot more popular. Are they equally waterproof. What do you prefer?

drjeff

My "cold" weather coat is a hardshell, my warmer stuff is a softshell. The softshell being the newer addition to my outerwear. I'm really liking the softshell, great wind/water repellancy(I have a Mountain Hardware softshell), and I'm thinking that when it's time for a new cold weather jacket, that a softshell version will be what I'll look for.

More than anything though for me and outerwear, it's all about the more technical fabrics. The better the fabric, the more comfortable I am, and that's the most important thing to me.

cbcbd

For skiing I wear the hardshell. My softshell is sized to be pretty form fitting as I use it for climbing.

The term softshell encompasses so many things though - tightly knit fleeces to actually waterproof but not as stretchy garments.

Whatever it is, usually softshells are very water resistant, will move (flex) and breathe better, and tend to be more abrasion resistant - and those tend to be the selling points. It is a preference and I don't think for skiing you need one if you already have a hardshell. I usually wear my underlayer and the shell, that's it. If its warm I open up the pit zips or the chest zip a little. If its cold then I throw my mid-layer Primaloft jacket under it. Easy to adjust to temps... That might be harder to pull off if your shell is insulated and heavy.

gmcunni

i prefer my softshell if i can get away with it. will go as low as 20 degrees if it is sunny. I have one that isn't very waterproof but got my son a Northface softshell which stands up great in wetter conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thought for a second we were talking about Lobsters :lol:

am I correct in assuming that soft shell means stuff like fleece? I'm a moron when it comes to gear lingo, which is kind of funny seeing how I've been skiing for 25 years

drjeff

Thought for a second we were talking about Lobsters :lol:

am I correct in assuming that soft shell means stuff like fleece? I'm a moron when it comes to gear lingo, which is kind of funny seeing how I've been skiing for 25 years

Softshell can mean a fleece like outer layer, but more commonly as of late it's almost a neoprene like outer in it's texture and appearance.

Shroud

I can't really answer this question. It REALLY depends on the activity and weather involved.