What type of MTB pedals? Why? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Pedal

I am currently using the Welgo MG-1 pedals and love them. They are pretty durable, light weight and very grippy! You can also find them online pretty cheap if you look around.

The 50/50s just might be the most hyped-up bike product to be a 100% let-down... I know a few people who had problems...

Time Z. They are the best/most durable platform/clipless pedal I've seen.
    If it ain't Poe, I don't go.

Platforms for me. Tried clipless for several months and just did not feel comfortable with them especially on tougher and steeper trails. Platforms aren't as efficient as clipless, but who cares. I'm not racing...

Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    Platforms for me. Tried clipless for several months and just did not feel comfortable with them especially on tougher and steeper trails. Platforms aren't as efficient as clipless, but who cares. I'm not racing...
    do you use the gasket or just straight platform?
    And I keep on fighting for the things I want
    Though I know that when you're dead you can't
    But I'd rather be a free man in my grave
    Than living as a puppet or a slave

I use what came on the bike. Haven't figured out the dynamics of different pedal types yet.

Quote Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
    do you use the gasket or just straight platform?
    They're Wellgo MG series platforms. It looks like it says MG II on the pedals. Not exactly sure. I can't find them on the internet, but they look almost exactly like this only a dark Olive color...

Shimano 747's and 525's. Both are bulletproof and light.
    Click. Point. Chute.
    Days 12-13: 86
    Days 11-12: 58 ...and done.
    Days 10-11: 66
    Days 07-10: 44 (average)

Quote Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
    Shimano 747's and 525's. Both are bulletproof and light.
    I did not find this to be true. I've seen a bunch of them break where the clipless pedal suspended inside the platform would begin to spin freely and would not stay aligned with the cage. When shimano was contacted about the problem on a couple occasions where the pedals were less then a year old, shimano sited the manual which describes how the pedals should be rebuilt after some rediculous amount of hours like 20 or something. For some people 20 hours of riding might be 2 months, for others it's 2 weeks. That was the reason I switched to times, after riding shimano for 10 years. Once I did I could not believe how much better the mechanism is on times. Never ridden crank Bros, but I have seen the platforms dent and break. I think they are rebuildable...
    When the times get loose, replace your cleats. When the springs wear, replace the springs. I've done each once in 3 years. The pedal is still tight, bearings feel great.
    If it ain't Poe, I don't go.

Toe clips. I always felt really comfortable with this arrangement. Keep them loose so getting out is never a problem. Getting in under some schetchy conditions is a different story, but I accpet the trade off.
    I have a clipless system on my road bike - Speedplay's frogs. My knees really need to big float.

I doubt that I'll ever go clipless on the MTB, but I was thinking about switching to those power strips that fit diagonally across your pedal. They look super easy to get into even under stress and probably hav ethe same pulling power as toe clips.

Does anyone have any experience with those?
    Live for today

Thread Information